kickstart help for 2004 klx 110

I took it to the shop the other day and they said I needed a new kickstart shaft and that it was going to cost 400 100 for the part and 300 for the labor cause u have to take the engine apart. Isaac wondering if anyone could help me do it or have any tips cause I can't pay 400 to get it fixed. If anyone could send me a link to buy the kickatart shaft or even tell me what it is and does it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I took it to the shop the other day and they said I needed a new kickstart shaft and that it was going to cost 400 100 for the part and 300 for the labor cause u have to take the engine apart. Isaac wondering if anyone could help me do it or have any tips cause I can't pay 400 to get it fixed. If anyone could send me a link to buy the kickatart shaft or even tell me what it is and does it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Thank-you for the service manual it helped alot but exactly why do I have to take the engine apart to replace the kick shaft.

• 2 weeks later...

primary gear requires splitting of the cases so you must be somewhat mechanically inclined. Its not terribly difficult but can be overwhelming for someone that has never done it before. yes it should be called the primary gear.

^^I think you mean the Output Shaft, not the Primary Drive Gear.

PDG's don't break. The pre-08' Output Shafts do break. Right at the oiling hole.

And you don't have to split the cases to get to the PDG. Just take off the clutch cover.

For the Output Shaft, you will have to split the cases.

But yes, if it's the kicker shaft, it's possible to remove it without splitting the cases.

It fits into a big cutaway in the center cases behind the clutch basket.

Unfortunately, it's more likely it's the Output Shaft.

If you do have to split the cases, you may as well put in CHP's billet 2nd gear & a 4th gear shift drum.

If you want more power, add a stroker crank, and bore the cases for a big-bore kit (bigger than a 144 kit) down the road.

Edited by XLR8RR