DR 350S Hard Start

I just bought a 1992 DR 350s with 5,000 miles on it. The bike looks to be in very good condition but it st for the last 8 years. I cant get it to kick start if my life depended on it however I am able to bump start it or kick it over with starting fluid only. When it runs it sounds strong but whenever I try to kick start it, it doesn't even sounds close to starting. I went through the carb and checked for spark but couldn't find anything suspiciousness. Any suggestions?

I just bought a 1992 DR 350s with 5,000 miles on it. The bike looks to be in very good condition but it st for the last 8 years. I cant get it to kick start if my life depended on it however I am able to bump start it or kick it over with starting fluid only. When it runs it sounds strong but whenever I try to kick start it, it doesn't even sounds close to starting. I went through the carb and checked for spark but couldn't find anything suspiciousness. Any suggestions?

Did you clean every component of the carb?

If it sat for 7 years I would imagine that the needle jet holes are all gummed up. The petcock is most likely shot.

Also bad O-rings, 2 in the float bowl and one under the plug (which needs to be removed) that gives you access to the fuel screw.

i would check the valve adjustment....

i would check the valve adjustment....

Since he can kick start it with starting fluid my money is on the carb that sat for 7-8 years. But it's always good to check/adjust the valves and then the decompression linkage :smirk:

I'd also check the oil for gasoline because of the lousy stock petcock setup.

If it still has the stock steel tank that's most likely full of rust/crap as well.

he cleaned the carb and tank out before he let it sit, I could see through all the needles. The petcock diaphragm seemed to work as fuel went through it and changed based on the position but I was planning on changing it out anyway. I'll run the valves though as I have not gone through them yet.