Sign in to follow this  

Midrange bog..What am I doing wrong?

Hello all, after installing my JD jet kit, I'm having significant throttle bogging from 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. The first time I opened up the carb, I did it per JD's instructions, 155 main, blue needle 3rd clip, 2.5 turns out on the fuel screw. After having bogging issues, I swapped to the red needle, 3rd clip. This did not seem to help the bogging, though it smoothed out the idle. Suspecting I was running lean, I changed the main jet to 160 and turned the fuel screw to 3 turns out, no improvement. I'm going to buy an extended fuel screw next payday, but until then I'd like to be able to fix the problem as is. To me it seems either I'm going the wrong way and its running too rich, or something is still clogged from the carb varnishing. Any pointers would help, I'm completely stuck on this one :smirk::banghead::smirk:

i'll help a little,,first you need to read "all about carbs thread" cuz your changinging things not knowing if theyre even needed,,Pilot jet is for idle and 1/4 throttle,needle is for 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, main jet is for 3/4 to wot,changing your main will not have an effect,switchig to red needle leaned it out more., since you havent supplied any details about your exhaust or mods its hard to help you,,but if your bogging 1/2 to 3/4 then its probably your needle,,try 4th clip.(richening).listing your mods in your signature would help people, help you. good luck

Got a little ahead of myself, bike is completely stock other than 3x3 mod (JD's instructions tell you to do so). I changed to the 160 basically because the only thing I could find on midrange bogging said to change main jet, was wrong of me to assume that information was 100% correct. Thanks for the help! Gonna go pull the bike back apart, will post results soon!

Edited by Moterreal