Sign in to follow this  

reliability of starting?

i was wondering how reliable a stock bike was on cold starting with both the electric and the kick. how about after it's warm?

My 06 has hever let me down. Always starts with just a touch of the button reguardless of hot or cold or elevation. I have rejeted and use a 450x battery though. I have only used the kick starter once when it was new just to see what it was like to kick over.

ya. my old honda (crf230) was hard to start until i did the re-jet. now it's instant. but i was wondering how they were without re-jet. i'd like to leave it stock if possible. And i think i'd kick it just as much as i used the starter. I'm just a teenager and right now love the feeling of kicking over a bike compared to a button.

Well I'm 52 and the button rules. You'll see what I mean in 30+ years. LOL

• Like 1

Cold starts are not problem when properly jetted. Pull the choke, maybe one twist of the throttle to give it a squirt from the accelerator pump. Hit the button. It starts right up.

yes. i understand that. but un-jetted? is it really hard? good? manageable?

why would you mess with it very long unjetted ? just stick in the 42 pilot to begin with and then read the posts on the site to dial in your main.

might take you all of 15 minutes to do that.

Unjetted, it is manageable. The main problem is you have horrible throttle responce and lack power when unjetted.

My X is bone stock and has to be choked on the first start of the day regardless of the air temperature. But it starts with one kick on the kick starter or a quick push of the button every time. I have to let it run for about two-three minutes before I can disengage the choke.

That sounds fine to me. That's what my current bike is with a re-jet!

The bikes are lean stock. Up the pilot one size and it gets way better. My bike will fire in seconds anytime, anyplace after the mods and rejet.

Cold starts are not problem when properly jetted. Pull the choke, maybe one twist of the throttle to give it a squirt from the accelerator pump. Hit the button. It starts right up.

Second that!

Sometimes mine won't start with the button and i need to give it a kick or two. Then it starts right up.

I stored my bike all year to the manuals specification. added fluids installed battery..choked it, kicked it a few times:smirk:(the starting type), gave it oa few blips and she started on a dime...didnt even get lazy with the E start! follow the manuals specs when it comes to shutting the bike off and restarting when cold...this is why they write it down for us!

The OP is in Ontario which may mean way colder than some of the other posters. When my 06 was new it'd barely start and stay running at 30f. I upped the stock pilot from a 40 to a 42(better), then a 45 which dialed in better on the mix screw.

Thick oil can also make your battery drain down fast on a cold morning, I switch to 10w30 in the winter. If your bike does a lot of starting and coughing back out when stone cold up the starter jet to the 450 size. Guys in the southern states probably won't ever need to mess with this stuff.

My 05 250x first start of the day I have to choke it with a couple pumps of the throttle but after that all it takes is a pump of the throttle and a touch of the magic button. I mean if I step away from it I have to choke it but when I'm warming it up with the choke off after its been started I just burp the throttle let it idle down for a couple seconds and burp it again. After its hot I put the piston at TDC pull the hot start lever and kick it and it starts. (i enjoy kicking it gotta love my 17 year old body lol). I used to have a horrible time starting it until I turned my fuel screw out a 1/4 turn. When I did that I was able to turn the idle screw down about a turn. Also my main jet is 5 above stock.