Sign in to follow this  

Start only with great kick...

So, still have trouble with my 450R 2005

When I start it on the stand, or when I have a wall or something for keep the balance. Usually I need between 4-8 great kick for start it. But when I stall in the trail, it's impossible to start alone. I need someone holding the bike, and sometimes I can kick more than 20 times before it start. I noticed today some small backfire when I kick it. But when is started, everything run great. Also, the choke knob never stay on. It always disengage alone.

I reajust the valves

Check timing

Compression...70 psi after 6 kick (engine cold)

Inspect sparkplug and spark

Try the pilot screw between 1 turn to 3.5 turn out

No leak on the intake or carb boot

Brand new exhaust gasket, and nicely torque

The carb was completely dissembled 3 hours before the end of the seasons

Try to start with the hotstart

Try to twist the throtle one time

Last winter I replace

ICM

Stator

Coils

Sparkplug

Crankshaft

Piston (12.5:1)

All bearing

JD carb jetting kit

JD leak jet kit

AP mod

Wiring

So, I need some idea, I don't know what I should do again

What setting did you use to adjust the decompressor?

I use a feeler in the valve and then set the decompressor to .014"

You cant do it correctly by shoving .025" into the decompressor after adjusting the valve. Not sure why, but it doesnt work out.

Mess with the decompressor lash a little bit. Its more finicky than you'd think.

Its just a guess though.

I check it and I have .014

But what you wanted to say with this...

You cant do it correctly by shoving .025" into the decompressor after adjusting the valve. Not sure why, but it doesnt work out.

I not so good in english, Usually I understand everything, but for this part I need more explanation

You need to put a feeler in the exhaust valve whichever is correct then check the decompression lash with another feeler gauge. Also what jets exactly does it have. There is NO universal kit. Has it always been hard to start or did you do something? Check stator and coil resistance.

I have the JD jetting kit

Pilot 42

Main 185

Forget the needle clip...

The stator is brand new, the old one make it impossible to start, and after some time the engine stalled . But now one is started, the engine run great

My '02 450 has a 175 Main jet, and even that is probably a little too rich, let a lone a 185.

To me, it sounds like you have some carb problems. I'd tear it all down and give it a good cleaning. My '02 CRF450 will start first kick hot or cold 90% of the time.

My '02 450 has a 175 Main jet, and even that is probably a little too rich, let a lone a 185.

To me, it sounds like you have some carb problems. I'd tear it all down and give it a good cleaning. My '02 CRF450 will start first kick hot or cold 90% of the time.

I agree with you Lead Head, my '02 starts 99% of the time first kick cold.

:smirk::ride:

The JD jet kit uses a different needle that is way way fatter at the very end of it so the jet looks richer than it really is.

If you look at the JD needles next to the OEM needle, the little cone at the end of the JD is almost twice as large.

When you set the decompressor clearance, you need to use two feelers. Set the exhaust valve clearance first, then set the decompressor clearance with the .011 feeler still in the exhaust valve rocker.

Verify youve got spark too.

Kicking it with the plug out easily should get you even a tiny red spark which is enough to start the bike.

Remember the triangle.

Spark

Compression

Fuel.

gotta have them all...

This weekend I've got more info, I didn't have time for dissembly the carb but...

When I drop the bike on the side, a LOT of fuel coming out the carb.

Also the choke knob didn't stay engaged when I used it, something suck it for disengaged it. (When I start or running, when engine off, this one stay on)

So this weekend, when I fall or stop it, I always close the fuel pickup. Only one time I had a lot difficult to start. Other time, start between 2 and 5 kick

I think I have a carb float trouble, I gonna dissembly it the next rainny day

See if accelerator pump diaphragm is worn or broken apart, Mine was and throttle flick wouldn't allow the squirt of gas