Sign in to follow this  

Minnesota what is a MN enduro like?

hey, people like Shagger, or anybody who has done this; if you're on a 250F-like bike, seriously how many gas stops do you need?

I guess this upcoming Huntersville ride has 20 miles or so between gas stops. Doesn't it seem like you could get more mileage than that? I don't know, I've never done anything like that.

http://www.armca.org/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18094

They say to bring two gas cans, I don't get that at all. Seriously I'm going to burn through three tanks of gas in one day?!?

...and what's this "gas trailer" they speak of?

thanks for any help

im not sure on the 2 gas cans unless they are going to shoot gas to 2 different places for people? my wr450 gets 40 to 50 miles out of a couple gallon tank, dont see how your 250 would be a lot worse even if its a moto bike...your just not usually revving out as much in the woods. if you do the race and want someone to start the same minute with, holler!

EDIT: Ok, I read the route sheet a little better. The gas trailer is usually how they get your gas out to the gas stop for you. It looks like there will be one gas stop out and about, and maybe one back the start/camp that you can catch coming back through...?

Edited by rabbityracer

I just checked my CR250R today and it gets 18 mpg in singletrack. I can't imagine that your 250F would be any worse than that...

The reason you need two gas cans is one will be left at your car at the parking area (MAIN GAS) where the start is (behind the bar) and the other you will put on the "GAS TRAILER" that the club will take to a remote location and it will NOT return till the end of the race. Just remember to get your gas can off the trailer when the race is over. Lots of cans get forgotten !!!

Good Luck and have Fun!

sorry to be a pain, but can you please break down the usage of these gas cans?

in my head, it's:

1. fuel up

2. ride a long time

3. fuel up, using your own gas can off the fuel truck

4. ride a long time

5. done

Couldn't I just fuel up at home, thus only needing the one can I put on the fuel truck, or is it more like:

1. fuel up, possibly at home

2. ride a long time

4. ride a long time

5. fuel up back at your truck

6. ride a long time again

7. done

???

thanks again

sorry to be a pain, but can you please break down the usage of these gas cans?

1. fuel up, possibly at home

2. ride a long time

4. ride a long time

5. fuel up back at your truck

6. ride a long time again

7. done

???

thanks again

You Got It! :smirk:

Anytime you have a chance to fill your gas tank Do It! Unless you have a oversize tank. It's no fun when you run out of gas in the middle of the woods miles from the gas stop! Been there before. :smirk:

Also fill your drink system!

If you have any ?? just ask someone at the race most Enduro guy's will help a new rider.

Just ride and have FUN! :prof:

You Got It! :smirk:

Anytime you have a chance to fill your gas tank Do It! Unless you have a oversize tank. It's no fun when you run out of gas in the middle of the woods miles from the gas stop! Been there before. :smirk:

Also fill your drink system!

If you have any ?? just ask someone at the race most Enduro guy's will help a new rider.

Just ride and have FUN! :prof:

If you have to fill up at the gas trailer, is that any kind of disadvantage? Maybe you are already behind - would having to fill up put me further behind?

Thanks.

If you have to fill up at the gas trailer, is that any kind of disadvantage? Maybe you are already behind - would having to fill up put me further behind?

Thanks.

No disadvantage since it will be at a reset, but running out of gas will surely set you back!

No disadvantage since it will be at a reset, but running out of gas will surely set you back!

Ok thanks. This will be my first enduro...

A 250 diesel should be able to do the race with one gas. It might do it on one tank. But I wouldn't count on that. I have a neat story about running out of gas at Huntersville. It includes standing nearly naked in the river drinking beer given to me by a friendly canoe paddler. The guys stopped laughing at me then. :smirk:

Thanks all for the advice! It's very much appreciated.

Sorry for hijacking your thread - the info is helpful!

no hijacking occurred! you were totally on topic, good question about stopping for gas.

I haven't ridden the Huntersville enduro in a LONG time. But back in the day main gas was at the start. Meaning you could simply gas at your tuck once and be golden. If not, make an easily identifiable gas can to put on the trailer.

I'm thinking of riding Akeley West. It, for me at least, is a fun event. It's a pretty good event if you know nothing about time keeping as well. I got third in Senior A with no time keeping equipment at all. Not even a watch. You can do it through osmosis. If someone on your minute knows what he or she is doing. Don't pass them if they are lollygagging. If they put their head down and go. You can haul the mail until somebody stops you to mark your card.

Huntersville is traditionally a time keeping event. That's cool if you get a really fast and knowledgeable rider on your minute. Just don't pass them.

Akeley is a pretty tough event if you are not used to riding long periods of time in the woods.

Tips:

If you can hear yourself breath you are riding harder than you can maintain and need to relax and/or slow down.

Relax, have fun, ride playfully. You'll go faster. Leave your race face in the truck. This is not a motocross.

Finish strong. Save yourself to do so. They will usually throw in something nasty toward the end to beat up on those who are beat up. Use the race to build your rhythm. About a quarter of the way after the last reset start reminding yourself that there is delicious beer in your truck that is calling your name.

Yeah, one thing that suprised me about my first enduro is how much time to rest you do actually get (unless its crazy gnarly of course) and I'm not particularly fast...so now my incentive is always to hustle through the next 8, 10, 12 mile section, get a nice little breather, and get ready to haul some more A$* through the woods!

If anyone does want some advice up there, route sheet interpretation, etc. just holller - I'll be headed up Saturday afternoon sometime...:smirk:

Huntersville is a "RESTART" enduro so you do NOT need any timekeeping.

Each section is like starting a new race when they flip your minute GO!

Never ridden anything like that. You mean there is no way to be hot? Known Control and all that?

Correct - there is no way to burn a check. It is like a bunch of mini Harescrambles. Go as fast as you can until you come into the next check in. You wait for your minute and go.

They are using some re-claimed trails up in Huntersville this year too, so there will be something new for all of us.

Keep in mind the Twin Cities Trail Riders has Grant In Aid on these trails too, so these are open trails to ride. Work has already started signing the trails, grooming the ditches, and we are working with the DNR to find a trail head for the trail system!