Chain issues!!!!???

So over the past few days my chain has went from tight to extremely loose. I was riding today and it got even worse. I decided to head back to my friends steve's truck and call it a day before I damage anything. Well on my way to turn around, my chain popped off the rear sprocket. That happened twice. I was going easy so it wouldn't happen again and it popped @ the master link. So I was towed by steve and his quad. What can cause this to happen with my chain? I don't know why it loosened up so much!?

Edited by Annonymous

you sure your axle didn't shift?

That is a good possibility! And most likely the reason! I do not see any other possibility. What would cause it to shift? Is there a way to prevent it? And how do I move it back to the original spot?

That is a good possibility! And most likely the reason! I do not see any other possibility. What would cause it to shift? Is there a way to prevent it? And how do I move it back to the original spot?

If your chain adjusting bolts were loose combined with your axel nut being loose, it could move. You might check your chain guide too if it was worn out. What kind of chain do you have? If you have a cheaper chain (like a primary drive) Your 250 could stretch that thing completely out of shape in one ride. I like Primary drive's steel sprockets but I would never use one of their chains.

What kind of chain do you have? If you have a cheaper chain (like a primary drive) Your 250 could stretch that thing completely out of shape in one ride. I like Primary drive's steel sprockets but I would never use one of their chains.

:smirk:

Don't say that! I just bought a new Primary Drive RDO o-ring chain for my ( new to me ) 2005 CR250R!

They looked nice, and have a decent tensile strength rating.

I guess I will find out how good/bad they are!

Maybe it stretched out or the axle shifted. If it stretched try setting your tension bolts differently or get the suspension set up for you

Frdbtr, my chain guide is completely worn out! But I haven't checked the axel nut and/or chain adjusting bolt I will tomorrow! But I'm pretty sure it's the stock chain. Any suggestions on chains frdbtr? And dirt-rich, I don't think it would stretch as much as it did. I'm almost certain it's the axel shifting. I could be wrong tho!! But I took a vid of the slack on my chain. It's crazy how much room there was!! Check it out:

Edited by Annonymous
Posted the wrong link
Frdbtr, my chain guide is completely worn out! But I haven't checked the axel nut and/or chain adjusting bolt I will tomorrow! But I'm pretty sure it's the stock chain. Any suggestions on chains frdbtr? And dirt-rich, I don't think it would stretch as much as it did. I'm almost certain it's the axel shifting. I could be wrong tho!! But I took a vid of the slack on my chain. It's crazy how much room there was!! Check it out: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=0hdLM5ikdzY

If it was indeed the stock chain then that would certainly explain the problem. They were junk. Same for the stock chain that came on my 2002 CR250R.

Look at the link Ron_m! Look at how much slack the chain has. It seems like the axel shifted. But my chain is beat anyway so do you have any suggestions on chains? Who makes a good chain?

FYI that link doesn't work for me

Slowtreme, punch my name into YouTube: amatuerboxer234

this link works

I dont have one of those bikes but where is the chain tensioner?

did you remove the guide already?..the axle is in backwards btw

Slowtreme, I have no idea man. The only time ive ever messed with my chain is when i removed it so i could take my front sprocket off so I could replace my crank. Hopefully I'll figure everything out tomorrow! HOPEFULLY lol but it's 12am here in dirty jerz. My ass is in bed.

@Blackwoodz, the guide, It's that black thing on my swing arm right? It's still there. And the axel is backward?? I bought it like that and had no idea man. How is it supposed to go tho?

I don't see a lower chain guide at all. It should be underneath the swing arm just in front of the sprocket. The black thing is the slider...

I have a DID chain on my 2007, it's been on there since I got the bike. No problem with it so far...

Your axle is in backwards, and you are totally missing your chain-guide.

I watched your other videos, and I gotta say, I laughed so hard at your friend wrecking on the bike. No helmet. Epic fail. He made it like what, a few hundred feet? A CR250 is NOT the best bike to learn how to ride on!

Sorry for laughing, I feel bad for you guys.... but I couldn't help myself.

I crashed plenty myself, so I guess I earned the right to laugh.

A 2000 Banshee sent me to the hospital back around 2002.

I was sliding around a big bowl at the dunes, and the damn thing just flipped.

I was doing around 40mph. It flipped, threw me off in front of it, then landed on me. It tore a hole in the back of my right leg. It took 33 stitches to fix me.

After that.... no more quads. I traded that stinking Banshee for a CR500, and I lived happily ever after!

2-wheels = FUN

4-wheels = too many wheels!

Look at the link Ron_m! Look at how much slack the chain has. It seems like the axel shifted. But my chain is beat anyway so do you have any suggestions on chains? Who makes a good chain?

That link wasn't working for me. D.I.D. and Regina make some good chains.

Looks like your case saver is missing also (just infront of your counter shaft sprocket).

you may want to check out the rest of the bike real good to see what else may be missing or installed wrong. Just my .02, keep the change