Sign in to follow this  

One spark then nothing

Hello guys, I hope you can help me out

A few weeks ago while I was riding my 01 E with full exhaust I accelerated after a turn and it wouldnt rev. If I turned the throttle it would go around 2000 rpm then start back firing and shooting a flame out the exhaust. I limped it home, checked the oil (good level, clean, no fuel smell). The plug was a little white and no fuel smell. The fuel was flowing through the pet cock.

I guessed it was a carb problem so I pulled it out and dis assembled it. I cleaned all the jets and blew them and all the passages out. I figured now would be a good time for the JD jet kit so I installed it following the guidelines for my elevation (0-3000'). I reinstalled the carb and pulled out the air boot for the 3x3 and it made no change.

At this point my mechanic friend (the guy I bought the bike from) came back so we checked everything we could think of. We also pulled the carb back out and he checked it to make sure I didnt screw anything up. After all the checks and him talking to Eddie on the phone they decided it was the stator. I ordered and new one and installed it last night.

I started the bike and let it idle for a minute. I touched the brake pedal to check a problem I had been having and the bike died and wouldnt start again.

I cranked for awhile and gave up for the night.

Today I checked to make sure the fuel was flowing and pulled the plug to check it. It smelled like fuel so I checked for spark, it sparks once when you push the button and then wont spark again.

Sorry for the long post, can anyone help?

OK. 2 answers from previous posts. If the green wire in the larger CDI plug is not grounded it will make 1 spark then nothing. This is part of the safety interlock system.

Or take off the stator cover and check to see if the starter clutch bolts have backed out and have damaged the stator.

my guess is the flywheel has rubbed thru the pick up coil wires due to a install error.

Wiring has to be installed correctly, no room for error or it contacts the flywheel.

attachment.php?attachmentid=13217&d=1269702243

Often the bracket will not be reinstalled, or the wires will be outside the required space covered by the bracket

Hmm, I will take the cover off and check the wires, I think I got them in place but I didn't know there was no room for errors.

Thanks for the help guys

Sure enough the blue wire is worn through. So, is there a way to repair it or did I just waste $125?

you just wasted

125 ask for a credit and return stator

Credit and return what? The electrical item the user damaged? Why would he return it? and or why would the company except a user damaged item for credit?

Repair, absolutely possible, just need the tools skill and materials.

Me.. it would be a soldiered joint, covered in 3M polyolefin heat shrink tube

The repair was successful! I soldered in a small patch of wire to make them even lengths again and sealed it in liquid electrical tape. It started up and it's charging at 14.5.

I took her for a quick 37 mile adventure and everything seems to be great.

Thanks for the help and advice guys