Watch for your stage two clearance..650R

I decided to fresh'n up the ol' 01 650R today. It's been trouble free for years,no oil burning etc.etc.Stock piston.

Pulled it apart and found that the ex valves had been kissing the piston lately:eek:

I thought i'd heard a exhaust leak last time i'd run it,but now i'm thinking the cam chain is worn enough so the valves will touch the piston.

I think i got lucky...

DSCN6940.jpg

DSCN6941.jpg

Yup.........you are lucky.....after repeatedly hitting the piston they like to fly off and stick into the piston....which really screws up good weekends:bonk:

:smirk:

B

I really was surprised how small the chain is. I'm replacing everything except the rockers. I might even take a step 'backwards' to a stage one cam,now this bike is now not needed for full speed trail abuse.

isn,t there a hop up cam chain still available from honda?i think it was part of the factory hop up kit.that kit is now not available but i think you can get the chain seperatly

whats a hop up?

I think stage two is good if your going to mod the piston, otherwise not worth the trouble.

Ive read people advancing the cam, so that means they would move it one tooth advance, but that may be too much! i dont know and to me isnt the proper way to go.

Thats why i chose the ST1 cam, i didnt want this to happen in woop woop town.

Just curious how many kilometres or miles this bike has done?

I really was surprised how small the chain is. I'm replacing everything except the rockers. I might even take a step 'backwards' to a stage one cam,now this bike is now not needed for full speed trail abuse.

I like the stock cam, and how do you know you got lucky?????

I would replace the valves.

I like the stock cam, and how do you know you got lucky?????

I would replace the valves.

I was lucky because it didn't break a valve off or strand me somewhere with a bent valve. :thumbsup:Like i said before..everthing is getting replaced,,valves,valve springs,chain,cam.etc.

I'm not sure how many miles on this cam,i put it in about 4 years ago? I do mainly trail rides with the exception of a few long dual sport rides. I'd guess 2500 miles? And the chain is stock from 01.

I'd like to put in the HRC chain,but i think it will have to be put in with their sprockets too. Still looking into that...

*nevermind..i just found the prices on a chain up-grade,,close to 500.bucks!!

I still have a stock cam and have swapped it back in once for trouble shooting "stalling issues" But in comparrison,,it's WAY too slow.

Edited by scalejockey

Gottcha,,,:smirk: