Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 Rebuild starting problems

Hey guys I am new to the board and looking for a little help. I am helping the neighbor on a rebuild of the motor on a 2005 YZ250. We have taken it completly down and put new seals, gaskets, etc... due to a blown head gasket, and built it back up. Trying to start the bike now and having some issues. Kicked and until we were both wore out, and it sounds like it wants to fire but doesn't. Tried roll starting it and the back wheel just skids. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

Welcome to TT. You should try posting this in the Yamaha Two Stroke forum. If your rear tire is skidding, it sounds like it is in gear.?

MAX!!!

Thanks for the welcome. It is a four stroke. I had it in nuetral rolled it, and kicked it in gear and the tire locked up rather than firing. We are going to try some more carb work and see what happens. Thanks

Take a bike stand.... Put it in the middle of the garage. Place bike against garage wall. Sit your butt on bike stand so that you face bike.... Look at bike, think, look at bike some more, think some more. Start by thinking of the "obvious"... Fuel? Spark? Then think through ALL the extras you removed/replaced, where you may have stuffed rags, screwdrivers etc... Don't worry, you'll find something that will embarass you.

If you've already given up... Think about that bastard of an orange ring/seal you put on the top of the cylinder, are you sure you got it in right? Take the plug off, if there is any moisture on the plug that doesn't resemble fuel you're leaking alittle coolant into cylinder...

Good luck, and oh while you are sitting on the bike stand in the middle of the garage tell your neighbor to get you a beer...

Forget all the above I thought it was a 2t, it isn't so you're screwed, but get your beer before you leave your neighbor with his paperweight.

Okay did the sitting and staring at the bike and figuring it all out. We ran out of energy for the night but havea game plan for tomorrow. Going to pull the plug and check it, and pull the carb off and clean/check it again. Pulled the air filter off, because it was not as clean as we would like, and it got a little better, so I am thinking air/fuel/spark issue. Atleast I hope. The last ditch effort is going to be to check the timimg again. We followed the instrusctions from here but I see alot of commenting about being just one off and it not working. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

Alright, well I took his word for it that it was a four stroke, but after your suggestions and some more research I determined it is indeed a two-stroke. So I bet I know what the problem is now. Thanks for all the help. I will re-engage tomorrow with the correct info and attack it properly. If I am still struggling I will post up in the 2-stroke forum.

Alright, well I took his word for it that it was a four stroke, but after your suggestions and some more research I determined it is indeed a two-stroke. So I bet I know what the problem is now. Thanks for all the help. I will re-engage tomorrow with the correct info and attack it properly. If I am still struggling I will post up in the 2-stroke forum.

You didn't know what stroke bike you were rebuilding? :smirk: