Sign in to follow this  

Need help with starting problems

I just bought a 04 crf250x, The bike has a new crank, piston, cylinder and cam chain. The problem is that it will not start. The valves were supposedly adjusted. I have removed carb and cleaned. It will not start with button or kick start. It will start when pushed off. Runs great until it gets hot then it starts to sputter and then cuts off. I can then push start again in a few minutes. I am assuming the problem is the values but i didn't want to do valve job if not needed. checked the valves exhaust .012, intake ls .004 right side almost no gap.:smirk:

I just bought a 04 crf250x, The bike has a new crank, piston, cylinder and cam chain. The problem is that it will not start. The valves were supposedly adjusted. I have removed carb and cleaned. It will not start with button or kick start. It will start when pushed off. Runs great until it gets hot then it starts to sputter and then cuts off. I can then push start again in a few minutes. I am assuming the problem is the values but i didn't want to do valve job if not needed. checked the valves exhaust .012, intake ls .004 right side almost no gap.:smirk:

You need to shim the valves to factory specs.

Do you have a manual?

Do you have reciepts from the 'valve adjustment'?

If the valves have already been adjusted and they are back to 0 clearance, then you will have to have the head rebuilt with new valves and seats re-cut. Shimming the valves again will most likely let it start but it will only be running for a few more hours of ride time.

i don't have manual. i beleive spec is .005 and .012. all the reciept says is valve adjustment. wondering if I should shim or replace. I don't want to do a valve job and it still not start.

When checking the valves there was no punch mark on the gear that lines up with the mark on the case. Is it posible for that gear to be on backwards?

When checking the valves there was no punch mark on the gear that lines up with the mark on the case. Is it posible for that gear to be on backwards?

No.

You really need a manual.

You need to do a leak down test, so you can stop guessing, after you shim the valves to spec.

That is the only way to know if you have a 'sunk' valve issue.