125 2t or 250 2t?

Hey, I'm pretty sure that I will be getting a 125 2 stroke, but I posted another thread earlier, and I had a few people telling me to get a 250 2 stroke.. And a few telling me to get a 250 four stroke, no one mentioned much about the 125(what I had made the post about) Anyways, im 6'2, 215 pounds, 17 years old. I barely have any dirt bike experience, but I do drive a moded 400ex, so I have plenty of clutching experience, yet no twist throttle experience. As for balance im not to worried :smirk: Ill catch on.

Personally I think a 250 2 stroke would be way to much to jump on for a first bike... and I have no interest in a 4 stroke(maintenance and parts cost... 2 strokes are just easier :smirk:)

Just wanted to get some input on this, as I said I'm pretty sure I'm going to trade the 400ex for a 125 though. I'm not looking for any broken bones :prof:

Well the 125 might seem a little underpowered if you weigh 215. I'd go for it anyway though. It'll be a good first bike

A 125 might seem a little underpowered but I'd go for it anyway. It'll be a good first bike.

A 125 might seem a little underpowered but I'd go for it anyway. It'll be a good first bike.

Thanks, thats what I figured. The 125 seems like a light somewhat snappy bike, sounds like it would be a decent trail bike for my area. If I'm unhappy with the 125, throw er on craigslist n go for a 250 :smirk: Either way, the 125 will probably end up having more power then my 400ex, or a different kind of power anyways.

Go for a 250t. It was my first bike, and I'm only 6 foot 170. Started out with only quad experience and I learned fast.

150sx

150sx

None on craigslist in my area.

At that weight, I'd go to a 2502t. A 125 has to be wound all the time, and at that weight I'd think it would be sketchy hitting the band on jumps trying to learn it. My 250's band is pretty smooth and I love the power's there when you want it. The 125 you have to almost wait for it then---there it is. Fun though, and I think makes a better rider out of anybody (helps with ruts, in-betweens, and endurance). But my opinion is you'd love the 250 2T.

go test ride a few different bikes (125, 250r, 250f) and make your decision from there. i also came from riding a race ready 400ex, bored out to 440, aftermarket pipe, valves, cams, clutch, carb, airbox modded with a bigger filter.... and much more. anyways i got a 250 2stroke as my first bike and it has WAYYYYY more power and torque than my quad ever did. it even scares me a little bit sometimes. plus, put that power in a package thats half the weight???:smirk::smirk: so even though im about 30-40 lbs lighter than you i would say that a 125 smoker or a 250f will be PLENTY for your first bike but you could probably handle a 250 2t, just take it easy at first. i kind of wish i had gone the 125 route myself, but i get attached to things somewhat easily and dont think i could sell my bike now. sorry for the lengthy reply. but thats just me, quiet in person but longwinded on the keyboard. hahaha

@thejoeb

Thanks for the reply, dont worry about the length :smirk: I like the longer posts, more informative. Looking for posts such as these.

get a 250 2t

If you find one that is completely stock, and maybe adding one additional tooth to the front sprocket to keep it tamer, the 250 would be a great fit for you as you describe yourself. I have to agree with the other posters on your weight. A 125, while fun, is going to have to scream all the time to move you around and you will outgrow it very quickly.

I think it is great that you are open about this and are entering the 2 wheel sport with eyes open and with some reserve. I did not do this and many years decided I needed a bigger bike when getting BACK into riding after years off. I had been a 250 rider and got this notion due to being heavier than before, I needed to be in the 500 class. Oh, very early on I got tossed at speed and ended up in hospital. I kept the bike but toned it down so that would not happen again...and for me a 250 has more than enuf power and fun factor.

So being cautious is wise, it just appears that you can have all the fun of 250 ownership without uncorking the bike right away...you can always do that later on as your skills improve.

Ktm 200 sounds like it would be a good option

I'd get a 125. Much smaller margin for error with a 250 and being a new rider. Play it safe. You've got plenty of years of riding ahead of you. Spending one on an underpowered bike isn't going to be the end of the world.

150 sx or 150 xc or the husky 150 can be bored out to 167cc,.... recoming trend to dispacement some people like them a lot not tried one yet, would like one!!:smirk:...or the 200 as the above poster suggested, which is suppost to be underpowered 250 in feeling ,

then again i want one of everykind!!!

Thanks for all the replies, getting some good information.

I do have another question, if I do decide to get a 125, being 215 pounds, will the stock rear shock if adjusted properly, be enough to carry me around? Or will an aftermarket one be needed?

Also, I've always been a honda fan, how does the cr compare to other 125's or 250's?

Thanks for all the replies, getting some good information.

I do have another question, if I do decide to get a 125, being 215 pounds, will the stock rear shock if adjusted properly, be enough to carry me around? Or will an aftermarket one be needed?

Also, I've always been a honda fan, how does the cr compare to other 125's or 250's?

At 215 lbs you will most likely have to modify the shock and forks on any bike you buy, unless the previous owner was about the same weight and has already done so. Most bikes are set up from the factory for riders between 170-180 lbs.

Get a 125, when you find yourself ringing it's neck all the time and bottoming the suspension, throw it on craigslist, buy a 250 and do the suspension.

Otherwise, buy a 4 stroke of any size.

I started on a 250 2t, bad idea. Took the advise of guys that were not good riders but trail rider dare devils. I've spent 2 years on 125's and 4 strokes and am now back on a 250 2t. I love it now, but really needed to improve before riding one.

How many people do you guys now that started on 250 2t's that quit riding? I can think of a few. It's got to be the downfall of the 2 strokes and popularity of 4 strokes.

Get a 125, when you find yourself ringing it's neck all the time and bottoming the suspension, throw it on craigslist, buy a 250 and do the suspension.

Otherwise, buy a 4 stroke of any size.

I started on a 250 2t, bad idea. Took the advise of guys that were not good riders but trail rider dare devils. I've spent 2 years on 125's and 4 strokes and am now back on a 250 2t. I love it now, but really needed to improve before riding one.

How many people do you guys now that started on 250 2t's that quit riding? I can think of a few. It's got to be the downfall of the 2 strokes and popularity of 4 strokes.

Thanks :smirk: Decision made. I was pretty sure about getting a 125, but this post just made up my mind. After this summer, I'll probably sell/trade up to a 250. I get in ALOT of riding during the summers, thats basically all we do around here. After a summer on the 125, ill look into getting a 250. The last thing im looking to do is jump onto a bike to big and break a bone and lose my whole summer :prof: Has happened before :smirk:

Started on a TTr 125L when I was 14, stopped riding for a while then hopped on a YZ250. Transition wasn't too bad definitely put a smile on my face haha