High-Speed Desert

When hitting larger whoops at high speed, occasionally my tail end starts whipping back and forth. This has led to two crashes, one of which knocked me out(possible minor concussion) and hurt my neck bad.... If you do nothing, you crash. If you slow down, you crash. What do I do?

Go faster!

Sorry, I could'nt resist.

When hitting larger whoops at high speed, occasionally my tail end starts whipping back and forth. This has led to two crashes, one of which knocked me out(possible minor concussion) and hurt my neck bad.... If you do nothing, you crash. If you slow down, you crash. What do I do?

That happened to me too, I hit my head so hard I pissed my pants:banghead: No Joke. Me and my CRF cartwheeled for 50' through the sage.

So now I don't bother trying to blitz desert whoops in 4th gear, and I squeeze the bike hard with my legs when doing them in third...

It's a loose, loose. Unfortunatley the only way is to go faster through them or enter them slow and stay slow. If you slow down through them your f***ed

I've been seeing this word all over... what the hell are "whoops" :smirk:

These are whoops.

whoops5.jpg

Whoops.jpg

Hahahahaha.... but they're far worse when they aren't made with a tractor.

That happened to me too, I hit my head so hard I pissed my pants:banghead: No Joke. Me and my CRF cartwheeled for 50' through the sage.

So now I don't bother trying to blitz desert whoops in 4th gear, and I squeeze the bike hard with my legs when doing them in third...

Going slower is never an option dude! But I have started riding with a position I learned from my highly experienced mentor, and it works. Thanks for the input.

So what's your method

sounds like your rebound is to high on your rear shock try going one click tword the s on the big nut on your rear shocks gas cartrage

These are whoops.

whoops5.jpg

Whoops.jpg

oh god I hate those so much!!!!

oh god I hate those so much!!!!

At least those are round perfectly spaced with no rocks are square edges :smirk:

As crazy as it sounds you just have to pin the throttle and squeeze the bike with your knees as hard as you can. Works every time for me, slowing down will screw you every time. Your knees might feel like they are bleeding or get very bruised but that's what you gotta do, squeeze and pin it. You might have heard "when in doubt throttle out" or a variation of that and I always find this to be 100% true. The bike wants to go straight, so when you pin it make sure you're pointing where you want to go and just hold the bike in that direction. Hope this helps, it has never let me down.

As crazy as it sounds you just have to pin the throttle and squeeze the bike with your knees as hard as you can. Works every time for me, slowing down will screw you every time. Your knees might feel like they are bleeding or get very bruised but that's what you gotta do, squeeze and pin it. You might have heard "when in doubt throttle out" or a variation of that and I always find this to be 100% true. The bike wants to go straight, so when you pin it make sure you're pointing where you want to go and just hold the bike in that direction. Hope this helps, it has never let me down.

Unfortunately he's right....when I do this this is what my face looks like under my helmet:eek:.....But when I chop the throttle in 5th gear in the middle of whoops this is what happens :smirk:......knock on wood:banana:

Squeexe the tank with your knees and keep your ass like 2 inches off the seat, push forward on the bars, pin it and hang on.

Squeexe the tank with your knees and keep your ass like 2 inches off the seat, push forward on the bars, pin it and hang on.

I'm confused. Are you answering your own question? You are the OP and now you are answering yourself as another person might that has experience in the area in question.

That sounds great but you gotta have the balls to do it. The thought of an injury that causes me to miss work prevents me from having the balls. I just slow down and roll them or try to double them but neither works well. I know being able to ride whoops well is the one thing that would improve my speed more than anything but I just can't get up the nerve to try it.

If your riding a lot of sand, especially sand whoops, you may want to work your set-up

I'm confused. Are you answering your own question? You are the OP and now you are answering yourself as another person might that has experience in the area in question.

Yes. I asked a person outside of TT, and posted that I had my question answered and it worked. Then someone asked what the method was, so by answering their question, I answered my own original question.

If your riding a lot of sand, especially sand whoops, you may want to work your set-up

If that is directed to me, I have. I have springs for a 170lb rider (me w/gear) and had it re-valved by Donny at ZR1. He does the work for a lot of the AMRA guys and the terrain we ride. I love the suspension but I still don't have the guts to try it. Also, I have read that my bike, a KDX200, is at a disadvantage when riding whoops compared to an MX bike due to the shorter wheelbase which adds even more pause in giving it a go.