Sign in to follow this  

Linkage vs PHDS for MX?

Which type of rear suspension is better for MX and why?

Byte

what makes linkage preferred over phds for mx?

byte

phds ?

phds ?

I think he means PDS and the answer is it really doesn't, but the PDS system is far more sensitive to spring weight so it's more touchy to get it tuned correctly.

Well since KTM stopped making the linkless system I would guess a link system is better, they sure gave it a long hard run though.

I have heard that the box stock KTM linkage system isn't that great.

Well since KTM stopped making the linkless system I would guess a link system is better, they sure gave it a long hard run though.

I have heard that the box stock KTM linkage system isn't that great.

They more likely stopped using the no-link system due to public opinion rather than actual functionality. Usually when one manufacturer does something that the public likes, the others are soon to follow. KTM decided to stick to their guns with the PDS because it works and is actually lighter and less prone to mechanical failure...but eventually caved to the perception of the uneducated masses.

does the perception that linked suspension is better for mx have any substance or is it total BS?

Byte

does the perception that linked suspension is better for mx have any substance or is it total BS?

Byte

Depends on your definition of better. Easier for the general public to tune using no knowledge other than an internet spring calculator? Yes; linked suspension is better in that regard. But let's say you sent both the linked shock from a 2012 250sx and a PDS shock from a 2011 250sx to Racetech with the same rider specs. You would end up with rear suspension that works almost exactly identical.

However, the PDS would weigh less overall. It would also provide better ground clearance and you would not have to maintain all of the bearings in a linkage.

The main difference is that a PDS system is speed and position sensitive and more adjustable. Linkage systems use a simpler shock design and the progresiveness comes from linkage ratios. PDS shocks have 2 pistons in them and a needle runs down the center of the shock shaft that blocks the ports of one piston at a certain part of the stroke which diverts all the damping to the other piston. I personally think it is more progresive and more tunable. But like said before, People want linkage and did nothing but kill the PDS theory, even though when properly set up it works better than linkage. It's all opinion, but the best handling bike I have ever had was my 06 KTM XC300. It was the "Jack of all trades" machine.

interested to hear your response to this one Mog.

Byte

interested to hear your response to this one Mog.

Byte

its pretty straight forward pds isnt new technology its been out 4 a while you can make both work just aswell as each other and the main reason y ktm went to link is because of they want more riders in the USA to ride super x all over the world really the pds didnt work aswell in SX so ktm oviously want 2 make something happen there there are alot of riders riding linked ktms this year compared to previous years with pds not PHDS :smirk: