Sign in to follow this  

Cheap and easy tail light conversion

I didnt like the Dr650s huge tail light so i purchased a Maier universal dual sport tail light for 20$. You can find them online for a little cheaper.

After removing the stock tail light and holding the Maier light up there i realized i had to fill the large void due to size difference in the two lights.

So i went to a metal store and asked them for an 1/8" aluminum plate that was approximately 4x6 and then they laughed and gave me a scrap piece for free.

i cut it to fit the void where the stock tail light was and rounded the corners.

I measured out the holes for the maier light and drilled them in the plate. (the top hole in the fender matches up with the maier light so you only need to drill the lower hole through the fender.

i went to lows and bought a couple of rubber bushings to put in between the bolts and the fender.

i drilled another hole in the upper left corner of the plate for the wiring to go through and then wired it up.

then you bolt it all up and enjoy.

heres a picture, if you look at the whole album youll see more pictures of it and my license plate mod...and my dreaded jb welded chain roller hole.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb365/falconblumangold/Dr%20Mods/IMG_20110525_160627.jpg

OR, you could get the drz250 tail light which is a direct plug and play wiring job and a perfect fit with no mods. And looks fantastic to boot.:smirk:

I went crazy cleaning under the fender, etc when I installed the DRZ250 tail light - I think it took about 20 min total and looks KILLER! I also put a www.SuperBrightLED.com bulb in (4 watt, part number 1157-R3X1W)

OR, you could get the drz250 tail light which is a direct plug and play wiring job and a perfect fit with no mods. And looks fantastic to boot.:smirk:

Do you order it OEM or from a site?

yes im well aware of the drz tail light being a direct fit, however i enjoy fabbing and was trying to deviate from the norm.