how to clean your dirt stained cylender and cases?

So i just redid almost everything on my bike, and everything looks sweet and new except the brownish stained and oxidized cylinder and cases. so how do you guys clean yours? the previous owner apparently didn't care to clean the machine after he rode so now I'm stuck with cruddy looking stuff. I polished all the covers,water pump housing, powervalve, etc and used grey scotchbrite on the head but im stuck scratching my head at the cylender short a roll of sand paper by hand and a hand polish, which would be my last resort. thanks all!

I would just repaint it with appliance paint. Appliance paint is pretty strong and thick paint. Good at resisting scratches and keeping away dirt. I painted my mx trailer with it after i bought it

I don't want to paint it, just try and renew the aluminum to its stock or shinier appearance, i was hoping someone knew of a miracle bike wash or something. I thought about using an industrial wheel cleaner on it or something but i kind of worried that might cause more bad than good.

Try Simple Green. Just dont leave it on to long before rinsing off.

Try Simple Green. Just dont leave it on to long before rinsing off.

I picked up a bottle of simple green the other day but haven't tried it on my bike yet. Is there a specific kind people use? I have the green color liquid with the green label. Everyone seems to rave about how good it is.

I wasnt aware that there was more than one kind. Mine was also green, minty smelling and came in a squirt bottle (kinda the same style bottle that windex comes in) WHen I bought mine I did notice that they came in big containers (as much as a couple gallons) , but they were all the same product just differant quanities.

And yes it is good stuff. I recently found out it works well with greasy clothes too. My wife even uses it around the house now.

Yep, simple green's good cleaner.

Don't need to use it full-strength either, i cut mine 3:1 with water and it still works just as well, and a gallon lasts 3 times as long.

Go to your local big truck store...peterbuilt, kenworth...etc. ask for aluminum brightener. They sell it for wheels on big rigs. I can spray the nastiest front wheels on a dodge that are impossible to clean and in one minute flat they are perfect....dirt stains are gravy. Just be aware that it is an acid so do not spray your polished aluminum or it will dull the polish slightly....and wear eye protection.

Go to your local big truck store...peterbuilt, kenworth...etc. ask for aluminum brightener. They sell it for wheels on big rigs. I can spray the nastiest front wheels on a dodge that are impossible to clean and in one minute flat they are perfect....dirt stains are gravy. Just be aware that it is an acid so do not spray your polished aluminum or it will dull the polish slightly....and wear eye protection.

I wondered about a rim and wheel cleaner. I am a bit worried about the gaskets though.

super clean....

product_degreaser.jpg

super clean....

product_degreaser.jpg

Be careful with that stuff. It's very caustic and will ruin the aluminum surface finishes and strip the anodizing if you aren't careful. Super Clean = Super oxidized.

The best way to prevent case stains is to wash your bike as soon as you are finished riding. I use Shout as it is non-caustic.

Aluminum wheel cleaner works very well.

I wondered about a rim and wheel cleaner. I am a bit worried about the gaskets though.

As long as you do not leave it on the baskets for days it is fine. It is a very mild acid and does not seem to eat anything other then aluminum and skin. It is water neutralized. We use zep brand called zepalum and have used hotsy brand too.

Be careful with that stuff. It's very caustic and will ruin the aluminum surface finishes and strip the anodizing if you aren't careful. Super Clean = Super oxidized.

The best way to prevent case stains is to wash your bike as soon as you are finished riding. I use Shout as it is non-caustic.

I have used it for years, after every ride.... It has never ruined any aluminum or anything for that matter, granted im too poor for anodization on my bike :smirk:

I spray my bike down the next day after riding with a cheap electric pressure washer, then i spray the whole bike down with purple power and let it sit for 5 minutes, then rinse. Keeps bike looking great with no stains!

I don't want to paint it, just try and renew the aluminum to its stock or shinier appearance, i was hoping someone knew of a miracle bike wash or something. I thought about using an industrial wheel cleaner on it or something but i kind of worried that might cause more bad than good.

You could try renting a power washer from like home depot or something. It could be grease soaked into metal also, not just dirt. My bikes done that on certain parts. Just when u wash it, use a heavy degreaser

super clean....

product_degreaser.jpg

Yeah i use the super clean by the gallon, but it isn't helping with the stained aluminum, great for two stroke spooge after a ride though!

Ok well i tried simple green, and using it alone with a nylon toothbrush didn't get me very far but i used simple green along with scotch brite and that did the trick, then since it looked so nice and clean i took every bolt out one at a time and polished them and re-torqued them to spec. I also re-polished every cover and the kick starter/shifter/case saber/etc.. so now it looks awesome, i posted a pic in my garage because i don't know how to load them here. Yes I went a little over board lol

Wow that looks nice now! I've been trying to clean up my engine case as well because I'm trying to sell it but I just can't seem to get it clean. I'll have to try the scotchbrite and Simple Green.

I have used it for years, after every ride.... It has never ruined any aluminum or anything for that matter, granted im too poor for anodization on my bike :smirk:

i used to use the stuff on my back rim because i would get spooge all over it and it was a little tough to clean off. I have gold excel rims and now adays you can definitely tell it dulled the back one out. on everything else i haven't noticed anything though