Sign in to follow this  

What tools do you carry for trail riding?

I want to put together a tool kit for some longer trail rides. What should I put in it? I'd like to be prepared, but I don't want to be bringing the whole tool box. Ounces = pounds, pounds = pain as they say. What commonly brakes on a trial ride?

Allen kit.

Some common sockets and driver.

Spare tubes.

Tire irons.

Something to fill a flat tire with.

Medium sized crescent wrench, maybe two.

Multi-tool.

What else? Feel free to post what your kit contains, of if there's a must have tool out there that you recommend.

Thanks!

To go along with your list I add:

Spare master link

Spark plug wrench

Zip Ties

Safety wire

Vice grips-always handy when a clutch cable breaks.

Fire Starter-I bring a ziplock bag with cotton balls and vaseline w/magesium starter in case I get hurt and/or stranded in the cold.

Pocket knife

Duct tape

assortment of hose clamps

Short piece of fuel line

550 cord

JB Weld (Kwick)

All this can fit in my camel back, I'm sure I'm forgeting a few things, I'll reply back if something else comes to mind. Its amazing that most of my trailside repairs have been temporarily fixed with safety wire, zip ties, and duct tape! :smirk:

Those are some good ideas. Zip ties, para cord, safety wire, duct tape, all staples of field repairs! Never thought of the fuel line, a torn like could be a BIG problem. I saw a container for a spare spark plug somewhere that's probably a good idea, too.

That's also a good point with the survival kit. I'm planning on some long rides that I was definitely going to bring a small kit with me. Probably a sidearm, too in case something decides I would be tasty!

I'll probably end up with a dedicated tool kit in a fanny pack or something so I don't have to pack up the tools (read: forget something) each time I go out.

EDIT: yeah, for first aid, glue it or ignore it!:smirk: Thanks for the link.

Those are some good ideas. Zip ties, para cord, safety wire, duct tape, all staples of field repairs! Never thought of the fuel line, a torn like could be a BIG problem. I saw a container for a spare spark plug somewhere that's probably a good idea, too.

That's also a good point with the survival kit. I'm planning on some long rides that I was definitely going to bring a small kit with me. Probably a sidearm, too in case something decides I would be tasty!

I'll probably end up with a dedicated tool kit in a fanny pack or something so I don't have to pack up the tools (read: forget something) each time I go out.

EDIT: yeah, for first aid, glue it or ignore it!:smirk: Thanks for the link.

I carry side arm as well, when I go out riding alone, but if I'm with a group I usually leave it at home. Of course, it doesn't really help much that it is stowed in my camelback, but it's nice to know it's there if I get stranded and need protection. All this stuff gets kind of bulky and heavy, but it's nice to be over prepared then under prepared. Besides that, when I go riding with friends, most of them don't carry tools :smirk: and they're looking at me to provide them with what they need when they break something. If they break something and don't have the proper tools, it usually ends my riding for the day as well so I just bring as much as possible.

We used duct tape and branches to splint a friends hurt leg one time! :prof:

Has anyone done a seat mod to carry tools under the seat on their Trailbike? That way you would only need to carry one tool on your body to get the seat off. It seems to me to be the best place to add weight to the bike as opposed to the front or rear fender

I hate the feeling of a bumbag or too much weight on my back.

In the spring I carry a chainsaw, bar oil, wedges, file and a spare chain for the chainsaw...Help keep your favorite trails open and pristine, by staying on the trail.

It is a lot of extra volunteer work to fix all the go arounds, by the fools that head out in the spring without a chainsaw.

For those unwilling/unable to volunteer to keep your favorite trails open. Thanks for staying home a few weeks to give the volunteers a chance to get the trails cleared and open for your enjoyment.

Bottom line; if one wants to be "first tracks" in the woods, in the spring, carry a chainsaw.

• Like 1

I have one of those small 90 degree bend phillips head screwdrivers, I carry extra spark plugs in a tube that my kid got some mini candies in...fits perfectly. Some sandpaper, tiny wirebrush, steel wool, couple of energy bars, some powdered water---oops not invented yet, assorted wrenches up to 12 mm, cellphone, several sizes of fuel hoses, needle nose v-grips, small crescent...probably repeating what has been mentioned already.

Zip ties, couple screw drivers, wrenches 8-15 millimeter, spark plug, spark plug wrench, spoke tool, Hatchet/saw for blow downs, Couple medical supplies, Pliers etc.

Just curious, you heavy packers... what does your camelback weigh? anyone care to chip in?

I know mines probably 10+ pounds, Doesn't bother me anymore but it used too when i first started

I carry small tool kit similar as others have described, but only in the 3-4 wrench/socket sizes that are needed for my bike. Tusk mini t-handle set is great. Add a co2 inflater and a few cartridges (for slow leaks), 18" zip ties (for a bad flat so I can keep the tire from rolling off the rim while I ride it out flat), 15' of strap for a tow if needed. Keep it all in a small fender bag from dirt-bike-gear.com, then water, food, and personal survival gear in my camelback.

I think I'll just pick up a craftsman 1/4" metric ratchet kit and not carry the sizes I won't need. Seems like it would be more handy than a T handle.

I'm also looking at the Tusk axle tool, plug socket, and fender pack with spoons. I may not end up using the pack, but the cost of two spoons was about the same as the pack that came with them. Although the tubes do take up quite a bit of space, so having them up there might not be such a bad idea.

Is Tusk a good brand for tools?

It seems like everyone is just carrying one tube. Do you carry one for the front or back?

It seems like everyone is just carrying one tube. Do you carry one for the front or back?

carry 1 front spare tube, that way if you blow a front or rear you can still put a front tube on the rear if you have to, and just carry a regular one and not a heavy duty as they are twice the size.

My Ogio Flight Vest was up to around 8.5 lbs, so just yesterday i went through it, trying to be realistic, and took out/off 1.5 lbs. I like to keep my back pack under 10 lbs for sure when i do use it, for 'over nighters'. You just have to think about it, and try to select your tools that can be used for more then one thing.

I also wired a 12volt lighter socket with a 12" cord, and put the matching male, female terminals on it so i can charge my phone, or even a 12volt compressor(which i don't carry with), all off my pig-tail from my Battery Tender Jr. Then i can use it on any bike, quad, snowmobile because they all have pig tails.

In the spring I carry a chainsaw, bar oil, wedges, file and a spare chain for the chainsaw...Help keep your favorite trails open and pristine, by staying on the trail.

Love the idea. But what kind of chainsaw are you carrying? And how do you carry it (safely)? I'm fairly sure my 24" bar Husky chainsaw won't fit in my CamelBak's pouch.

Love the idea. But what kind of chainsaw are you carrying? And how do you carry it (safely)? I'm fairly sure my 24" bar Husky chainsaw won't fit in my CamelBak's pouch.

I have a Husqvarna 353, with a 20" bar. I used a soft backpack from Fox racing for years. Which is OK if your going to/from a work project. Taking the pack on/off wears you out. I have a fork mount now, quick on/off and it allows me to carry a much larger chainsaw, with up to a 34" bar, when needed.

For most clearing, the top handle saws are great. The Stihl MS200 T and the Husqvarna 338XP T with a 16" bar.

I always ride with someone who has an extensive tool kit on them. :ride:

Seriously, these are the main tools I carry, I also carry zip ties, safety wire, and tube repair stuff.

IMG00139-20110208-1651.jpg

Just curious...you guys who carry spare tubes, what kind of wrench do you carry to remove your wheel? With the way my axles are torqued down, I'm not sure I would be able to remove them with a short wrench that would fit in my tool pack.:ride: