bike hold downs

Getting ready to haul my dirt bike, looking for some suggestions on hold down straps, will be needing 2 sets for 2 bikes, what are some suggestions, I don't want to buy these twice,

Chet

i like the ancra soft-ties

Yep here to Never lost a bike yet :smirk:

I won't throw out any brand names, as there are many good choices. I'll just say that I have a strong preference for ratchet buckles instead of the cam buckles. I place a 2x4 between my front tire and the fender then ratchet down until the tire is compressed about halfway to the rim. It makes the bike rock-solid even driving on bumpy dirt roads.

I used Ancra for decades, until they started making them in Mexico.

I use the Pro Taper tie downs with the carabiner and soft ties.

I use the Pro Taper tie downs with the carabiner and soft ties.

+1.. Pro tapers all the way. I have seen 1" tie-downs fail.

JMO

I generally like to use the "Orange strap 4 pack" tie downs. They work well.

The nice thing about the Pro-Tapers is the integrated soft ties. The locking carabiner is also a nice touch. Top quality for sure...

Jay.

The nice thing about the Pro-Tapers is the integrated soft ties. The locking carabiner is also a nice touch. Top quality for sure...

Jay.

People are always saying that US made products can't compete for price with cheap imports. Well, here is a high quality product that is made in the USA that is actually less expensive than the imports and has every feature, and more. You want caribiners w/ soft ties, you want 1" or 1.5", you want cam buckles or rachets. They make them. I have an 8 year old set that has spent their entire life in the back of my truck. After being exposed to rain, sleet and snow, they still work flawlessly.

Buy American made Powertye tie downs, and keep your dollars here instead of shipping them to China or Mexico.

http://powertye.com/store/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=87

Edited by CamP

I've been using 1" Ancra cam buckle tie downs for several decades and never loss a bike, but be careful of the imported knock offs.

To be safe use 1.5" straps for the front: my favorites have soft ties and carabiners, a swivel at the carabiner is even better. Years ago I had a bike tip over on a trailer from a strap failure, ever since I've also used two straps on the rear so the bike will stay upright if any strap fails. I use 1" cam buckles for the rear, I added a pair of these (Pit Posse) to the seat mount bolts for easy hook up.

pitposse_2159_61963417

I use retractable tie downs. 2 cargo buckles and 4 thinner ones. Sure they are more expensive, the thin ones aren't THAT much more than regular tie downs.

Once you realize you do not have to spend 10 minutes untangling your straps and another 10 tying them off and if you decide to another 10 wrapping them up nice and neat for storage you will never go back to regular tie down straps.

just google or youtube or look at etrailer.com for retractable tie down straps.

I can load and unload a bike in 5 minutes now.

My next thing is to try and make my own "tyredown" thing. I was gonna buy one but they are way too expensive.

Check the videos, they seem pretty cool. http://www.kyaracing.com.au/

the pro tapers are worth the money ! http://www.btosports.com/p/PROTAPERTIEDOWNS

1. carabiner security

2. built in swivel

3. velcro secured pull strap (actually pretty handy)

4. easy to find in the garage when they are in big pile of other straps.

Yup, and they're made in Taiwan. Not China or Mexico!

Jay.