Sign in to follow this  

carb cable jamming open or coming of groove

Hi, am been fiidling with the jetting on my carb on my 300 and found that if the throttle cable gets pushed, it can easylly come out of the guide it sits on top of the carb and propaply get an open stuck throttle :smirk:

not thaT it has happened to me, but thinking to zip tie the boot on top at the cable and low on the carb guide

does anyone zip tied this or had the scary experience?

That's a pretty common occurrence.We zip-tie all our cables where they go into the carb.

I ziptied mine too just because I didn't really want to figure out how to safety wire it. lol

ok, nice to hear your doing it and i am not paranoid !!

must be a 2st carb thing i guess?

Had the same thing happen to me, except I was lucky and was not riding it at the time. Just started it up after being in hibernation for the winter. I took a small rubber boot and used the smallest hose clamps I could find instead of zip tys. It will never come out of the brass ferrule unless I intentionally yank it out. Kind of a cheap design from KTM for sure.

Little Jeff

If you hav'nt done it allready,re route the cable to the right side of the tank.You can safety wire it or get a longer throttle cable and run it behind the number plate as I have done.

It happened to me on my 200, and unlike the rest of you guys, I *was* riding it. Fortunately, I was out in the open in some whoops and talk about a wild ride, I was bucking and hucking with the throttle at about 75% unable to let off. I rotated the throttle to hard off, but still it was on. What the heck? I thought my slide was snagged open and the spring was not able to return it. After I got my wits about me, my first thought was to grab a handful of front brake once clear of the rollers, and while that slowed me down, the front wheel skidded and tucked the front briefly but I recovered. Yet the throttle was still open and finally as I my brain kicked in a little more and I went to grab the clutch and hit the kill switch, but then the cable finally snapped back into position and my wild pony ride was finally over without me hitting the dirt or anything else. It scared the crap out of me, though, and I couldn't bring myself to trust the bike for the rest of the day until I figured out what had happened. I was *real* glad it didn't happen in technical woods, rocks, or near steep hills or drop-offs.

I think mine pulled free up at the throttle. I ended up using the opportunity to get the longer CR250 throttle cable and Honda carb-end rubber boot. I like the Honda boot better than the KTM one because it seems to fit tighter appears to be less susceptible to this at the carb end. And I double zip tied the boot at the throttle end. And with the longer Honda cable, I can do a more sano route behind the number plate and down the left side of the frame under the CDI, and there's still enough cable to route it so that it pushes itself with some tension down into the carb top. I feel much better about the whole setup now. :smirk:

I just purchased a xcw 250 this week and was riding for the first time off road yesterday. I had a lot of fun up until the end. My throttle got stuck wide open and I ate it pretty good. The spill broke off all my lights I had just installed, broke the clamps for the handlebars and was stuck after that. Luckily I had some rope and was able to rig up the bars to get home. I go to see what happened and the throttle cable was pulled from the carb because the cable got hung up on the bar pad while turning. Had this happened anywhere else I could have been seriously injured. I am really angry right now to say the least. Its hard to believe there is no locknut holding the cable to the carb. I have never seen a setup like this. I thought all carbs have the cable securly attached. This is a serious design flaw and there is no recall on this?? I paid 8 grand for a death trap sheesh. Are all ktm's like this?

Edited by MikeDD

I just purchased a xcw 250 this week and was riding for the first time off road yesterday. I had a lot of fun up until the end. My throttle got stuck wide open and I ate it pretty good. The spill broke off all my lights I had just installed, broke the clamps for the handlebars and was stuck after that. Luckily I had some rope and was able to rig up the bars to get home. I go to see what happened and the throttle cable was pulled from the carb because the cable got hung up on the bar pad while turning. Had this happened anywhere else I could have been seriously injured. I am really angry right now to say the least. Its hard to believe there is no locknut holding the cable to the carb. I have never seen a setup like this. I thought all carbs have the cable securly attached. This is a serious design flaw and there is no recall on this?? I paid 8 grand for a death trap sheesh. Are all ktm's like this?

I have said many times wondering why KTM doesn't use a longer throttle cable and route it in front of the bars and behind the CDI. That is the first thing you should do. Then, it won't be near the problem. I use the Honda cable from an early CR. Gary jp4 has listed the part #'s before and we need to get them in the FAQ sticky up top.

That being said, I rode with the standard cable for a long time without issue and most do to. It sucks that yours got hung on the pad, but bar pads don't come factory and anything you add to the bike such as a stabilizer, pad, etc, should be checked to make sure it doesn't cause any issues with the stock cable.

KTM doesn't design the cable or the carb, so I don't lay as much blame of the design on KTM as the manufacturers of the parts. The short cable and routing is on KTM, however.

The Honda cable is a really nice unit and makes for a nice clean cockpit. I will have to also get the Honda boot once I get my bike. Thanks nobrakes. :smirk:

Thanks for the help gmoss and to nobrakes for the cable mod. I'll have to go order one of those honda cables quickly. The bar pad I was referring to was the little black factory pad. I think it got wedged in the corner of it or hung on the bar clamps, not exactly sure. I just know after I got the bike shutdown I looked at the carb and found the pulled cable. It got snagged on the bike itself, I was on an open trail. After I pulled the cable back to original position, I turned the bars to the right and pressed the cable down it would rest around the barpad and clamp area. I'm assuming it was caused by compression and a right turn because thats what the bike was doing right before the stuck throttle.

Anyhow a scary experience and I'm just glad it didn't happen in a more critical spot. I understand KTM doesn't make the carb or the cable but they sure dont do a good job securing it. The cable slides fairly easily out of the carb if you pull on it by the throttle. A snag on a branch would give you the same result. Im going tell KTM my experiece hopefully help to prevent that from happening to someone else.

It is definitely scary. I have been lucky. Once you get the Honda cable routed in front of the bars and behind the cdi you will find it is much more secure.

KTM must have gotten a screamin deal on the throttle cable they currently use. lol

I have also read some accounts where the 90 degree bend mouth piece on a Camelbak or similar can snag the throttle cable.

I will have to also get the Honda boot once I get my bike. Thanks nobrakes. :smirk:

No problem. My KTM boot ripped when I was trying to safety wire it, so I ordered the Honda boot when I ordered the longer cable. I used the part numbers posted by someone here - where is that post? That really needs to be sticky in the FAQ. I got mine from Bike Bandit - probably paid too much:

CABLE, THROTTLE

602720 (77904-001)

$21.92

CAP, CABLE SEALING

588270 (222984-001)

$12.98

I'm not sure which is the bike bandit part number vs the Honda part number, but those are what I got and they work great. The Honda boot is shorter, but thicker and stiffer, and fits more tightly to the carb top as well as around the cable. However, there is less room to zip tie. But with the better routing possible with the longer cable, I'm not sure zip-tying is required at the carb at least. I did zip tie at the throttle end, though.

Motion pro also makes a longer KTM throttle cable. I think it is like 2" longer than stock.

Little Jeff

Motion Pro does make one. The one I bought was 4" longer. It cost as much as the Honda and wasn't near the quality. Only if I had trouble getting a Honda would I consider the MP, personally.

Glad I found this thread.

Just finnished top and bottom end rebuild on my buddys 07 300.

Ran motor 3 X 10min, purred like a kitten.

Buddy takes first test ride, all good, passes over for me to try.

I give the handlebars a few shakes and runaway throttle :smirk:

First thought, great an air leak, but kills easily with switch. So stuck slide or cable. Then find this fiasco of a throttle cable connection to the top carb, not to mention the cable is so short, tried mulitple routing. What kind of lame sh** is this???

Is this still an issue on newer 300's????

If so I can't believe KTM has not dealt with it....

This is the type of hazard you don't want.....

Thanks for the info on the alternate cables and fixes everyone :smirk: