250F for my fat @$$?!?!

I have decided to get back into dirtbikes after an injury 2 years ago. My question to you guys is that could I go for a 250F mx bike?

I am 6 ft tall and, as of now, I weigh 218-220lbs. My weight does fluxuate (Spelling?) quite a bit as I do cut and bulk up for other activites. My cutting weight goal would be 200-205lbs as the absolute lowest, with my bulking may get to as much as 240lbs!.

I have owned a few dirtbikes in the past: 2006 KX450, 06 yz450 and a 2005 yz 250 2t. I was injured on the 250. I am not sure if it was just an accident, or if i was just not that comfortable on 2 strokes. I did own the yz450 and the 250 at the same time, and did feel much more comfortable on the 4t.

Would a 250f be a good choice? I would ride a mix of some motocross (mostly sandy tracks) and some harescrambles. I think that a 250f might make me a better rider, and also keep me from getting into trouble on an MX track. I don't think maintenance is an issue as I will probably only ride once or twice a month tops.

I also would consider a 250 2t again because of the maintenance ease and the prices on used bikes, but I am afraid that they are hand fulls on the MX track (at least for novice riders like myself).

So... would a 250f work for me? or because of my size do I need a 250 2t or 450f.

I vote 450 due to your weight and the sandy mx soil. On a 250f you would be riding near the rev limiter frequently, so in the long run your topend would need more maintenance than the 450.

It all depends on the type of trails you run in your district 450 can be pigs but also in the sand they work great. I would vote for the 250 2stroke.

I'm 210 lbs and I wouldn't ever consider a 250F, especially if you're riding sand on a regular basis. I might consider a 250 smoker if I wasn't racing, but if I was in your shoes I'm 99% certain I'd go with the 450.

Think about this, how many 220 lb guys did you ever see riding 125 two strokes ? Probably not that many... and for good reason. Ask yourself the same question about guys that weight running 250F's.

I know guys around the 250 mark on 250f's and for those wanting a bit more you can put a 290 kit on a lot cheeper than a 450 cost. Lighter bike and not quite a 450?????

My son rides a RMZ 290 in open classes with the 250 2st, 450 and comes up with a holdshot about 50% of the time....

I know guys around the 250 mark on 250f's and for those wanting a bit more you can put a 290 kit on a lot cheeper than a 450 cost. Lighter bike and not quite a 450?????

My son rides a RMZ 290 in open classes with the 250 2st, 450 and comes up with a holdshot about 50% of the time....

I didn't say that there wasn't anyone over 200 lbs that doesn't ride a 250F, but you can't disagree that you're the minority if you're that weight and ride one.

Personally, I wouldn't ride a 250F. It doesn't suit what I ride (MX) or what I like about riding, they feel too underpowered. Again, that's my personal opinion.. yours may be very different.

you need a 250 2 stroke or 450

also the Husqvarna TE510 will be good

i am 250 and thats on a good day. all these people saying you'd be on the rev limiter are full of sh*t, i just got a brand new 2010 kx250 i stuck a 52 sprocket on the back, and that thing hulls me around the corners and up over the jumps. hey i am always holding to the bar but eh, why ride not to the bar, thats how i was taught to ride a bike. a 250 can take me over the jumps and i can clear them, even over shoot them, btw i just started riding mx for the first time last year, never drove a bike before that, so for your info i am a novice to. and iv never hit the limiter on that thing only in neutral and in the air

I didn't say that there wasn't anyone over 200 lbs that doesn't ride a 250F, but you can't disagree that you're the minority if you're that weight and ride one.

Personally, I wouldn't ride a 250F. It doesn't suit what I ride (MX) or what I like about riding, they feel too underpowered. Again, that's my personal opinion.. yours may be very different.

OK so I'll re-wright it as I should have so you'll more understand.... I know guys around the 250 mark "A or expert" classes that do very good on 250f's.

BETTER?????

I am 220lbs Novice/ Intermediate Vet/ Open MX rider and I have owned all the bikes you have mentioned (09 CRF 450: 100h, 10 YZ250 2stroke: 60h, 11 sx-f 250) in the last two and a half years.

I own a 250f since november. First I thougth it has enough power, but after 6 month I miss power especially during the races for long start straights, after less than perfect cornering (happens racing and training ;-) and for inside line overtaking.

Since I own the 250f I feel I have progressed as much as I would have on any of the other bikes, but my laptimes and outcomes at the races have not improved as much as I hoped they would have. Especially since my fitness has improved tremendously. I have been a descent starter on the 250 2t and still am, but after 50m the 450s blow past me.

If it wasn't for the slick hard pack I mostly ride and the racing on slick tracks (I get tired/ lose concentration at the end of the motos) I would have stuck with the 2 stroke. It is the most fun to ride and has the power if you need it, but it is hard to tame the beast after 10-15 min. of racing on slippery hard pack.

I will go back to a 450f soon...

Thanks for all of the replies.

now this may sound crazy, but what about a 125? I fixed my son's pw80, and I decided to take it around the yard. For a small bike, that thing hauled my fat @$$ around really good. if that little pw80 can haul me around, why couldn't an MX 125 haul me around some trails and MX tracks?

Ive been wondering the same thing im 6,1 230lbs been looking at 250s but came across a 125 thats bearly been riding at a great price

I just sold my 250f & it seemed a bit under powered for me. After coming from a 2-stroke 250 it's a noticeable difference. I'm 6'4" and 160 and mostly do woods riding. For you either the 250 or 450f would be a better choice IMO.

I own a '07 Yz250F and weight around 250lbs with all my gear on. I also have the suspension setup for my weight and the bike hauls ass. It has tons of power, and weight isn't really an issue imo. You will be perfect for the yz250f.

Just another bit of input (180lb rider), i rode a yz250 for the last 3 years, jumped on a yz250f and could not imagine riding it...had plenty of power to get me around but just zero fun, honestly felt like it had the power of a 125 without the excitement. A 450 atleast has the power to get me excited, but feels way to heavy to me and tires me out fast. But then again im smaller than you.

Just another bit of input (180lb rider), i rode a yz250 for the last 3 years, jumped on a yz250f and could not imagine riding it...had plenty of power to get me around but just zero fun, honestly felt like it had the power of a 125 without the excitement. A 450 atleast has the power to get me excited, but feels way to heavy to me and tires me out fast. But then again im smaller than you.

if I could cut my weight down to 200lbs, would a 125 or 250f be ok then? I would like 125cc now after seeing how cheap they are, and after tooling around the yard on my kids pw80!

if I could cut my weight down to 200lbs, would a 125 or 250f be ok then? I would like 125cc now after seeing how cheap they are, and after tooling around the yard on my kids pw80!

trust me and the other 220+ guys that are telling you that a 250f has no problem hauling you around the track and yes you can go fast around the track and still outrun some 450's...some people just cant go fast on anything but as long as they can feel the power or tell their buddys at work that they have a 450 then they think they are doing something:bonk::smirk

trust me and the other 220+ guys that are telling you that a 250f has no problem hauling you around the track and yes you can go fast around the track and still outrun some 450's...some people just cant go fast on anything but as long as they can feel the power or tell their buddys at work that they have a 450 then they think they are doing something:bonk::smirk

Tell me about it. I just convinced a buddy that is 280 to sell his 250 2t and get a 250 4t. He is a begining mx rider, and couldn't ride his 2t on the pipe anywhere really. I mentioned a 125 to him but he acted like that was an insult on his manhood. Coaxing him to the 250 4t was hard enough.

He rode my 450 at the track a couple times, I conviced him to ride my 250 4t at the track once. We brought both 4t's but he never went back for the 450. Ended up buying a 250 4t.

If it were me, I'd keep your 250 and get a 125 to ride a year or two. Don't go back to the 250 until you are ringing the 125's neck most of the time.

Go hop on the 250 and have someone video tape you riding a track. Take note of how much time you are not on the gas. This is time you could be on the gas on a 125 and not have too little hp. CAUTION: If you are a beginer this can be extremely painfull to watch.

If you end up on the right bike you may find yourself riding more than twice a month.

Edited by Pitbull Equipment
added to

250 2 stroke.... get one of those for cheap. there not much more money than a 125 and they are crazy fun to ride and has lots of power

Im 6' 1" and 225lbs and rode a crf250r for a year but mine had a big bore kit, stg 1 cam and ported head.....never had a lack of power..especially down low. I dont race MX though so I cant give my opinion there but alot of places i ride have sandy sections in the woods and never felt i needed more power. Just recently upgraded to a 2008 ktm 200....i like this thing a bunch!!!! more power than my 250f and can really tell a difference in the weight...will putt along just fine like a 4 stroke too.