Dual sport for small female?

Man this is a fun sport! Now my wife wants to ride on her own. What would you guys recommend for a very light framed woman? (103 lbs, 5'5"). I am assuming anything we make street legal wouldN't run highway speeds very well? I Was thinking something in the 80 - 100 size range, but since I too have just gotten into bikes I really don't know very much about what's out there. Any suggestions. We ride 50/50 onroad/off road.

No 100 is going to run (or be legal on) highways. A 250(4stroke) is going to struggle on hills or in higher winds.

I would look at 200cc 2 strokes probably, lighter on more power.

But then taller too, so would have to be lowered.

A Kaw KDX200 kind of bike.

4 stroke: plated XR200 size wise, but not going to do highway travel.

But do you REALLY want a novice woman that you love riding highways on a dual sport?

It makes ME nervous and i've been riding for 40 years.

Rethink...................

Yamaha TW 200

Stick to secondary highways, more scenic that way anyway :smirk:

At her weight,the bike should be quite adequate. If she truly enjoys it. Upgrade next year :smirk:

same situation here.. going to look for a CRF150F e start and plate it next year.

TW200 is too heavy, XR250 is kick-only.. I want to keep the fun factor for her

I did a KLX140L with a Baja Designs kit for my daughter. Stick to the back roads and you will be fine.

honda crf 230l, 50 state legal , small and light also

Man this is a fun sport! Now my wife wants to ride on her own. What would you guys recommend for a very light framed woman? (103 lbs, 5'5"). I am assuming anything we make street legal wouldN't run highway speeds very well? I Was thinking something in the 80 - 100 size range, but since I too have just gotten into bikes I really don't know very much about what's out there. Any suggestions. We ride 50/50 onroad/off road.

TW200 - Yamaha

XR250L - Honda

CRF230L - Honda

KLX250 - Kawasaki

These will be great secondary road, and trail bikes.:smirk:

My wife rides a Suzuki DR 200se. Great bike, bullet proof. She's 5'4". We liked the bike so much we bought a second one.:smirk: Great trail bikes for forest service roads, jeep trails, national parks, that type of riding. Good luck finding a bike.

450 race bikes are as small, light and short (framed) as ever possible to make so I suggest you lower a 450 a little. Maybe supermoto setup too. It will still behave much better than any of those "trail bikes" and be safer too. And more powerful.

50 horsepower + 39" seat hieght race bike for a beginner?:smirk: NOOOOO!

80 or 100cc, your talking 2 stroke MX bike, which would be light, well suspended, but high strung and horrible on the street.

My girl started on a TTR125(became too small), then a ttr230(too heavy, bad suspension), and now rides a KLX300 which she loves. Jetted right it starts first or second kick. We haven't plated it yet, but it's a great low mintence single tracker that should do fine as a dual sport. She's about the same height and weight as your wife. An XR or DRZ 250 would be good as well.

photo1-7.jpg

50 horsepower + 39" seat hieght race bike for a beginner?:smirk: NOOOOO!
Well, it is the only way to get a good plated dual sport bike without building it like crazy. All I'm saying is that after all it is cheaper to start with the best and make it a little less good than vise versa. With similar ground clearance those are not any taller, just slimmer so it's a lot easier to reach ground than say xr250. And for the street nothing less than that will be enough.

And don't forget e-start.

Too much power Crf 230 the thing is bomb proof unlike a mx bike.

Suzuki DR200's are light, low, can do 70+ (I weigh 230 lbs, YMMV). Overheated one so bad that it wouldn't shift, but it didn't hurt it. I'd say they are pretty bombproof. They are exceedingly simple.

The bike you need is a Honda NX 125. It has e-start, isn't heavy, and can handle fire roads fine. It will go 58 mph on the highway, but it is screaming. If you stick to the back roads it will go 45 mph all day.

My daughter is only 5'2" and she can ride a Honda 230L with no problem.

Or find her an older bike to learn on, by then she'll know what she wants. That way, when she inevitably falls over on the learner, you won't be cryin' the blues.

Went through this a number of years ago with my wife. Older bikes tend to be lower as well. While she's coming up to speed, literally as well as figuratively, she doesn't need a modern high output, maintenance intensive race bike.

Plus, it is a lot cheaper to use a 80's, 90's or whatever as a disposable learning vehicle. By the end of the first full season with it, she'll know what she wants.

Or find her an older bike to learn on, by then she'll know what she wants.

Very True! My first bike, a Suzuki DR-125SE was very short lived, 6 months later I had a Honda XR250r. Get something small, cheap. My 125 (4 stroke mind you) did fine on the road and decent for learning on the trails, but was easily outgrown. At first, that bike will take a lot of abuse, a lot of drops, so buy something that has been dropped a ton already, so it doesn't hurt as bad. I bought my DR125 for $500.

Oh, don't worry that much about kickstart, I don't weigh much, 128lbs, and I have no problem kickstarting any of our bikes. It took me just a few rides to get it figured out.

Oh, don't worry that much about kickstart, I don't weigh much, 128lbs, and I have no problem kickstarting any of our bikes. It took me just a few rides to get it figured out.

Just like centerstands, it isn't weight or strength, it is technique. I weight 160 pounds and am always the one that gets calls to start some open class high compression engine as the owner can't do it. Us old goats had to learn to kick start or not ride. That said, I have a "happy button" on everything I own these days, and it is a nice thing to have. But it shouldn't be a deal breaker for a starter bike. I can see the requirement for the replacement, but not the first.

Endurochica: you're my kind of can do girl! :smirk:

I also suggest a 230L. The last thing you want is a bike that's too tall, she'll be intimidated because she won't be able to put her feet flat on the ground. It makes enough power for the street, especially for someone who weighs 103lbs. It's also bulletproof reliable- change the oil and filter as required and it'll run forever.