want to attempt track....

Hello to all. I have been riding for about 9 months. And I have mostly been riding intermediate trails. I would like to try track just for fun not to race or anything. I am on a 2003 klx 300. I am about 5’7 250 pounds Working on my health and losing weight I had lost 17 pounds in 2 months but I crashed out on my dirt bike and dislocated my toe so I have not been able to hit the gym although I continue to watch what I eat. Anyways I would like some tips on turning and jumps. This is what makes me a bit nervous.

Also a Good dvd to pick up some more pointers on.

Thanks.

i will be buying a crf 250r and having the suspension adjusted.

Ok, that's better. You might like a 450 better. I bought a 250f and rode it for a few months and got a 450. I'm 6'0 205 to 210 and I feel better on the 450. You don't have to use all that power and on most tracks you can stay in 3rd gear. They also hold up better then the 250f's.

Steady throttle on the jumps, don't let off on the face. As for turning at first just turn as you normally would and try to stay out of the ruts for the first day. Once you get over the fact that theres a million yahoos ripping by you at insane rates of speed and you calm down a bit and can focus on riding your bike and not everyone else thats riding close to you then start riding in the ruts and get that inside leg out there.

Seat time. Get comfortable on your new bike before you try anything too aggressive. Take the CR on the same trails you ride the Kawi on. This will help you discover the differences between the two.

As far as the track, watch some of the other riders make a few laps. Pay attention to thier lines, corner speed, gear selection, etc. Find someone who is the same "speed" as you and follow them. The biggest fear and you'll have to overcome is the fear of embarassment. You'll see the other riders out there and just assume that everyone is a class A rider and that you are the only newbie. Don't be afraid to take chances. Just be smart about the ones you take.

Going on a MX track for the first time can be very intimidating, I remember the first time I went on one, wow was I scared.

When you are just starting out, make baby steps when it comes to jumping to get the feel of it. You don't want to get out of your comfort zone, only bad things happen in that case, and you may be scared to try a MX track again. There are so many different kinds of jumps that you may face on the track, and it will take time to learn them all. I find tabletops the most forgiving, and are a very good for beginners. Eventually, you will find yourself getting the hang of it and you will be going faster.

Good luck and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

on the track don't try to get out of the faster rider's way, if they are close behind. by the time you know they are behind you, the other rider has already decided where they are going. if you swerve, there is a good chance you will cut them off and crash.

don't swerve on jump faces or landings. again, another rider may be coming and ive seen bad things happen. be careful where you enter the track and be courteious. take the time to watch other rider's lines and learn from them.

don't try jumps unless you are very comfortable and know you can make it.

Man I understand your angst. I litteraly had my first day on my bike and my first lap on the track on Monday. My second today

I got a little lucky on Monday evening and it was only me at the track. I just road around next to the track once to see what it was all about ... then pulled in. I joked with some guys saying I set records for the slowest lap time ever. But after a couple laps I started recognizing the turn or jump I was coming up on.

Today was a different story. They tilled the track and it was like riding in six inches of golf balls. Took some time but I started to get comfortable, sort of...

I took my first (and second) spill today too. Odd enough it helped. I got over that embarrassed thing on of the other guys was mentioning. I saw the fast guy go smoking by me and the not so fast guy I tried to follow.

So I guess I'm saying pick a day you think it will be slow and jump out there. That's my very recent experience anyway.

Have fun man!

-r

I just did my first MX track last weekend, Zaca Station. Ive been riding since i was 17 (13th year this month!) but mostly streetbikes / roadcourse

I got into dirtbiking around october last year.... 6foot 220 in gear...

Heres some good advice that wasn't given to me regarding your first track day:

Bring Shade. You'll get very hot and will need it.

Bring lots of water. Refer to above.

TAKE BREAKS I took 2, 15min breaks during the 3.5hrs I was riding @ Zaca and the entire ride home and for several hours later I had a mild headache from minor heat stroke and was borderline feeling like barfing. You honestly can't believe how physically challenging MX tracks can be until you ride one. TAKE BREAKS

Dont ride over your head. No one is going to think less of you. You have no one to impress, and like all things in life: no matter how good you are, someone is better. Take your time to get a feel for the experience. Riders will note this and they will afford you the room you need

that being said - try to do your best to not stay in blind zones too long (backside of jumps, etc.. ). This relates to the above, but a skilled rider cant use those skills to avoid you if they don't know you are there.

Last but not least: Wear Gear. I wore a pressure suit, knee pads under my pants, gloves, googles, boots, etc....

WORTH IT. I only had 2 wrecks that day - one I spun out around a sloppy corner (the supermoto in me twisted that grip to get my slide on.... ended up looping around to an almost complete 360 before i put my face in the mud lol ) and the other i stuffed the front end on a botched turn.

#1 i came down on my knee - would have REALLY sucked for this old man of 29yrs old if i DID NOT have my knee pads on.

#2 i came down square on my hip. No compression shorts (think football girdle) == brutal. Ive already got a pair of Alpinestar Bionic shorts on order ?

Those were my lessons learned. The biggest 2 are bring a good attitude and dont ride over your head.

have fun!

on the track don't try to get out of the faster rider's way, if they are close behind. by the time you know they are behind you, the other rider has already decided where they are going. if you swerve, there is a good chance you will cut them off and crash.

don't swerve on jump faces or landings. again, another rider may be coming and ive seen bad things happen. be careful where you enter the track and be courteious. take the time to watch other rider's lines and learn from them.

don't try jumps unless you are very comfortable and know you can make it.

I remember my first day at the track quite well....especially in my ankles from time to time ?

Dont ride over your head. No one is going to think less of you. You have no one to impress, and like all things in life: no matter how good you are, someone is better. Take your time to get a feel for the experience. Riders will note this and they will afford you the room you need

Yes. I couldn't agree more. I didn't say it specifically when I posted, but I think you're right to make a point of it. There's a subtle difference between pushing yourself a little and jumping in over your head. Being so new to this, I actually have to relate my experience in snowboarding more than on my bike so far. That difference in the two sides of that line were me breaking myself in half, or going home happy and a little better than I was the day before. Breaking things and concussions kind of suck.

• 3 weeks later...

Mannnn....I can't wait to ask for advice about my first track day.

Looking forward to posting about my first track day.

I just rip a KX250 smoker around the yard.

Will soon bring it to a neighbor's private track.

The plan is to enter a race at the end of the summer. Maybe by that time I'll be ready.

Some time at the local private track might instill some confidence.

Maybe some seat time at the track on a parctice day.

I have been there (Byron MX track) to watch and it seems doable. But gotta work up to it slowly. I'll have to go to work on Monday after the first race Sunday.

Sure hope they have an "Over 40 (or 45 woould would be better), C-class, rookie, begineer track race class"

:ride:

Coo

Sure hope they have an "Over 40 (or 45 woould would be better), C-class, rookie, begineer track race class"

?

Coo

Yeah man, I wish they had that class here. I may fit in! My first race was last year in the +30 "novice" class. Unfortunately it is novice A-B-C. So, they averaged 15 years younger and were much faster seeing as they have raced before.

It didn't matter, I survived and had a blast. It would be nice to have some competition though.

I just race myself and the track now. I try to get better and more comfortable at each practice. I know my son is catching up and need to stay on my game! :ride: