Sign in to follow this  

Any rumors if KTM will release a street legal 350 EXC in the US for 2012?

It sure would be nice to have the updated motor and fuel injection

I see those models - but they don't appear to be street legal. If KTM just added the necessary stuff to be street legal, it would be just what I'm looking for

Why would they put mirrors and other crap in their promo pictures? And it says street legal right below?

Here's the one I saw - definitely not street legal - no turn signals, mirror, etc. I need one that can be plated in California, so it has to come from the factory street legal - can't be a conversion.

http://www.ktm-parts.com/12500EXC.html

from your link:ride:

2012 KTM 500 EXC Street Legal

Enough is never enough for all those who are forever seeking a little bit more, KTM has created the 500 EXC. Perfectly controllable power in extravagant proportions, low weight and an unsurpassed chassis characterise an enduro of remarkable versatility: a sensational fighting machine and absolutely reliable workhorse rolled into one, the indisputable benchmark in terms of weight and rideability. At any rate, there's no way to avoid to 500 EXC on the path to the podium in the E3 class.

NEW ENGINE

With the 500 EXC's newly developed engine, KTM engineers have created a new dimension: The power unit has been redesigned from scratch and is now more compact, lighter and more powerful than before. Reduced reciprocating weight and a balancer shaft minimise vibration.

NEW SILENCER

The 500 EXC's new, improved silencer not only offers greater volume and a new design, it also reduces noise levels to the stricter standards of the future.

NEW CYLINDER HEAD

All ports and the combustion chamber have been redesigned in the OHC cylinder head of the 500 EXC's new engine. The new camshaft actuates four valves via lightweight rocker arms. High-quality titanium valves are used on the intake side. As before, the cylinder head cover mounted at an angle simplifies service work.

NEW CYLINDER AND PISTON

The 500 EXC's cylinder has been further developed especially for the new engine configuration. The new, 15 % lighter forged piston minimises reciprocating weight and optimises durability at high engine speeds. New, nitrided piston rings ensure highest levels of resistance to wear.

NEW CRANKSHAFT

When designing the new crankshaft on the 450 EXC, KTM engineers focussed on reducing the reciprocating weight. Thanks to the new, lighter connecting rod and the new, lighter piston, they managed to achieve minimum vibration, while maximising engine-speed strength.

NEW ENGINE CASE

The 500 EXC's new engine case weighs almost 2 kg (4 lb.) less than its predecessor, although it offers better resistance to damage due to stone impact or falls. This has been achieved by using a high-strength, elastic aluminium alloy and changing from sand-casting to die-casting.

NEW BALANCER SHAFT

The 500 EXC's new, more compact balancer shaft not only eliminates vibration, but also serves as the drive for the water pump. This intelligent multi-functionality contributes to the compactness and low weight of the 500 EXC's new engine.

NEW OIL CIRCUIT

The 500 EXC's new engine is equipped with a common oil circuit for engine and transmission, and two oil pumps. A pressure pump lubricates the engine, while a suction pump draws oil from the crankcase, using it to lubricate the transmission and the clutch. At the same time and in conjunction with a steel diaphragm, negative pressure arises in the casing, which boosts the engine power.

NEW EFI/EMS

The newly developed Keihin engine management system with electronic fuel injection ensures spontaneous responsiveness from the engine. Various engine characteristics can be activated with an optional map select switch.

NEW CLUTCH

The 500 EXC's newly developed clutch, with a robust steel cage and transmission-friendly back-damping, makes use of a spring washer for the first time instead of the customary conical springs, hence substantially reducing the operating force. The hydraulic actuation mechanism from Brembo® facilitates sensitive modulation of the clutch.

NEW FRAME

The completely revamped frame made from high-quality chrome-molybdenum steel is characterised by even greater lateral stiffness. Furthermore, it is even better at absorbing jolts introduced by the suspension system, whereby the simple handling and comfort of the 500 EXC have been further optimised.

NEW SWINGARM, NEW PDS, NEW SETTING

The 450 EXC's new, lighter, cast aluminium swingarm accommodates the shock absorber more centrally, in order to load the swing arms more evenly. The new, 7 mm (0.28 in) longer PDS shock absorber with adjustable rebound and high/low-speed compression damping, and a new setting is installed more flatly, so providing even more progression.

TELESCOPIC FORK, NEW SETTING

The 500 EXC is equipped with the latest WP upside-down fork with wider adjustment ranges and a new setting. The sensitive responsiveness and outstanding damping of the open-cartridge fork with 48 mm (1.89 in) outer tubes are a perfect complement for the 500 EXC's simple handling and precision.

NEW WHEELS

Practically unbeatable in terms of weight and stability, the new wheels have CNC-machined hubs, Excel rims, zinc/nickel-coated spokes and aluminium nipples. They reduce the unsprung and gyroscopic masses, hence bolstering the simple handling of the 500 EXC.

BODYWORK

The 500 EXC's new bodywork with the very slim seat and spoiler lines, plus excellent contact points, perfects the bike's ergonomics, making handling even simpler and more precise. The longer rear fender protects the rider even more effectively from swirled up stones.

from your link:ride:

2012 KTM 500 EXC Street Legal

Enough is never enough for all those who are forever seeking a little bit more, KTM has created the 500 EXC. Perfectly controllable power in extravagant proportions, low weight and an unsurpassed chassis characterise an enduro of remarkable versatility: a sensational fighting machine and absolutely reliable workhorse rolled into one, the indisputable benchmark in terms of weight and rideability. At any rate, there's no way to avoid to 500 EXC on the path to the podium in the E3 class.

NEW ENGINE

With the 500 EXC's newly developed engine, KTM engineers have created a new dimension: The power unit has been redesigned from scratch and is now more compact, lighter and more powerful than before. Reduced reciprocating weight and a balancer shaft minimise vibration.

NEW SILENCER

The 500 EXC's new, improved silencer not only offers greater volume and a new design, it also reduces noise levels to the stricter standards of the future.

NEW CYLINDER HEAD

All ports and the combustion chamber have been redesigned in the OHC cylinder head of the 500 EXC's new engine. The new camshaft actuates four valves via lightweight rocker arms. High-quality titanium valves are used on the intake side. As before, the cylinder head cover mounted at an angle simplifies service work.

NEW CYLINDER AND PISTON

The 500 EXC's cylinder has been further developed especially for the new engine configuration. The new, 15 % lighter forged piston minimises reciprocating weight and optimises durability at high engine speeds. New, nitrided piston rings ensure highest levels of resistance to wear.

NEW CRANKSHAFT

When designing the new crankshaft on the 450 EXC, KTM engineers focussed on reducing the reciprocating weight. Thanks to the new, lighter connecting rod and the new, lighter piston, they managed to achieve minimum vibration, while maximising engine-speed strength.

NEW ENGINE CASE

The 500 EXC's new engine case weighs almost 2 kg (4 lb.) less than its predecessor, although it offers better resistance to damage due to stone impact or falls. This has been achieved by using a high-strength, elastic aluminium alloy and changing from sand-casting to die-casting.

NEW BALANCER SHAFT

The 500 EXC's new, more compact balancer shaft not only eliminates vibration, but also serves as the drive for the water pump. This intelligent multi-functionality contributes to the compactness and low weight of the 500 EXC's new engine.

NEW OIL CIRCUIT

The 500 EXC's new engine is equipped with a common oil circuit for engine and transmission, and two oil pumps. A pressure pump lubricates the engine, while a suction pump draws oil from the crankcase, using it to lubricate the transmission and the clutch. At the same time and in conjunction with a steel diaphragm, negative pressure arises in the casing, which boosts the engine power.

NEW EFI/EMS

The newly developed Keihin engine management system with electronic fuel injection ensures spontaneous responsiveness from the engine. Various engine characteristics can be activated with an optional map select switch.

NEW CLUTCH

The 500 EXC's newly developed clutch, with a robust steel cage and transmission-friendly back-damping, makes use of a spring washer for the first time instead of the customary conical springs, hence substantially reducing the operating force. The hydraulic actuation mechanism from Brembo® facilitates sensitive modulation of the clutch.

NEW FRAME

The completely revamped frame made from high-quality chrome-molybdenum steel is characterised by even greater lateral stiffness. Furthermore, it is even better at absorbing jolts introduced by the suspension system, whereby the simple handling and comfort of the 500 EXC have been further optimised.

NEW SWINGARM, NEW PDS, NEW SETTING

The 450 EXC's new, lighter, cast aluminium swingarm accommodates the shock absorber more centrally, in order to load the swing arms more evenly. The new, 7 mm (0.28 in) longer PDS shock absorber with adjustable rebound and high/low-speed compression damping, and a new setting is installed more flatly, so providing even more progression.

TELESCOPIC FORK, NEW SETTING

The 500 EXC is equipped with the latest WP upside-down fork with wider adjustment ranges and a new setting. The sensitive responsiveness and outstanding damping of the open-cartridge fork with 48 mm (1.89 in) outer tubes are a perfect complement for the 500 EXC's simple handling and precision.

NEW WHEELS

Practically unbeatable in terms of weight and stability, the new wheels have CNC-machined hubs, Excel rims, zinc/nickel-coated spokes and aluminium nipples. They reduce the unsprung and gyroscopic masses, hence bolstering the simple handling of the 500 EXC.

BODYWORK

The 500 EXC's new bodywork with the very slim seat and spoiler lines, plus excellent contact points, perfects the bike's ergonomics, making handling even simpler and more precise. The longer rear fender protects the rider even more effectively from swirled up stones.

Aww I thought it was a new 2 stroke

I hope you guys are right. There are many things missing from the pics that make the bike non street legal as it is shown. reflectors are another item missing.

When you see pics of the street legal 530exc, it shows all of those things.

my suspicion is that this model is the Euporean exc, which is equivalent to the xcw here.

Our local dealer in Des Moines, Moto Sports, indicated that they expect a street legal 350 EXC for 2012. I noticed on the KTM web site they don't show any information on the 2011 or 2012 EXC's. The 350 XCF isn't listed anywhere. They must be updating for the new 450/500 and hopefully the 350. But next to the following page they show a banner with "EXC Generation 2012" but no link.

http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/250-xcf-w-six-days-usa.html

I hope you guys are right. There are many things missing from the pics that make the bike non street legal as it is shown. reflectors are another item missing.

When you see pics of the street legal 530exc, it shows all of those things.

my suspicion is that this model is the Euporean exc, which is equivalent to the xcw here.

You cqan beleive everyone here, or you can simply call them (AOMC/KTM-PARTS.COM). Good folks. They are about an hour and ahalf from me. You can see a 2010 450 EXC purchased from them in my garage.

Yeah, they come with all the reflactors, turn signals, mirrors, and other crap that you have to remove/replace when you get it home...oh, and they come jetted so lean, they won't run right until you rejet...just to pass emissions requirements (mainly in CA.)

They day it came home from KTM-PARTS

DSC02552.jpg

And about three days later.

DSC02557.jpg

The 2012's will be the same....once you remove all the useless/unnecessary stuff, and rejet it, you are pretty much left with a street legal 450 XCW.:smirk:

Thanks - i will call them tuesday. I plan to do all the stuff you mention, plus more - never owned a stock bike in my life! LOL

Would love to take my plated '07 YZ450 with me to Cali, but from what I understand, they won't register it because the VIN shows it as a dirt bike, even though here in Hawaii I have a fully legal street registration for it. :smirk:

Here's the one I saw - definitely not street legal - no turn signals, mirror, etc. I need one that can be plated in California, so it has to come from the factory street legal - can't be a conversion.

KTM parts is not KTM. KTM USA doesn't show the '12 EXC's yet. They new bikes are still being certified as 50 state legal bikes according to my dealer. They expect the '12 EXC's to be available in the Fall. Same thing happened in '07 when they had the first release.

It sure would be nice to have the updated motor and fuel injection

KTM is only releasing two 50 state legal EXC models in the US for 2012. A 2012 500 EXC-F and 2012 350 EXC-F. I have seen the 500 at local san Diego dealers but not the 350. I have been pestering all the dealers and they all are talking $11,000.00 OTD pricing for either model. The $ may drive me away from the Orange bike.

I've also been reading about problems with clogged fuel injectors. Probably due to poor fuel quality. Still, what can you do about local fuel quality? The new Betas are looking really good right now.

Still, what can you do about local fuel quality? .

Add Seafoam to the fuel. Using it for a year now and have not had to worry about carb gumming up while the bike is sitting for a couple weeks.

hi mate my uk 500exc came like this also, but when you buy them mines came with indicators, reg board, mirrors in the ktm folder ive not fitted any of this its still in the folder, so check with the dealer i think the bike should come with all the parts you req.

stevie:thumbsup:

KTM is only releasing two 50 state legal EXC models in the US for 2012. A 2012 500 EXC-F and 2012 350 EXC-F. I have seen the 500 at local san Diego dealers but not the 350. I have been pestering all the dealers and they all are talking $11,000.00 OTD pricing for either model. The $ may drive me away from the Orange bike.

And I was grumbling over the $9k I'm paying.

Guys, if there is one thing I've learned since going to orange bikes in '01 is that for all the things KTM does well, one place they consistently FAIL is on their web site.

For a global company, I have no idea why. They have always had issues with typo's, misinformation, incorrect pictures etc... you can't go by what they show.

Personally I think that even KTM is confused by their model designations (Exc, MXC, SX, XCW, XC, XC-F, POW, LOL, AEIOU....but that is IMO, FWIW):busted:

The do have both a 500 and 350 EXC for 2012 - both with FI, both street legal. The 500s are on dealer floors now (my local dealer has one). I have a deposit on the first 350 in and they should be arriving any day now. If you get a brochure from the local dealer it has pics. They look like an XCW only with mirrors, reflectors, keyed ignition, a big clunky tail assy for the plate, some smog stuff, black wheels and spokes.