Sign in to follow this  

Hheeelllpppp!

I am trying to get my bike to run properly and am totally lost!

I have a kx250 2001 model, was imported from USA believe from Ohio, and i live in Calgary which is 3500 ft above sea level, have striped the carb and found following>

Main jet> 145

Pilot>45

needle jet is set with clip on second position down.

the bike will not idle well unless have choke open or partially open throttle, if let off throttle when riding will die and is definitely running rich, plug is black and will gum up so cant start and back oily exhaust.

i have tried adjusting air screw but seems to make no difference and cant get it to idle properly to hear if airscrew is actually doing anything?

what do I do??????:smirk::smirk:

If you go by Ohios lowest elevation point of about 450 ft. you can see you went up in elevation by at least 3k ft.. You most likely need to rejet leaner. The air screw is a good indicator of that if it can't lean things out enough at 3 turns out.

Leave the needle position alone. Replace the pilot jet first and with the air screw, get the pilot system dialed in first. Then work with the main jet to get mid and top end dialed in.

Be sure to check/set float level while you have the bowl off.

am going to re pack exhaust as packing was very clogged with oil/gunk and have drained fuel, gonna buy better quality mix oil and re mix it.

would badly mixed fuel/exhaust problems cause above symptoms???

am going to re pack exhaust as packing was very clogged with oil/gunk and have drained fuel, gonna buy better quality mix oil and re mix it.

would badly mixed fuel/exhaust problems cause above symptoms???

By all means, replace the exhaust packing. A gunked up exhaust "will" impede flow.

But a 2 strokes jetting is very sensitive to the kind of elevation gain you took it to. I don't see you getting around needing to rejet it.

the one thing that is still confusing and correct me if I have got this wrong....

I have gone to a higher altitude and therefore air is thinner and so if anything the bike should be running lean, not rich???

could it be that wont idle as is too little air so need to increase main and then maybe running rich on the pilot side as get the bike moving??? :smirk:

Higher altitude means you are getting less air and the same amount of fuel thereby making the bike run rich. You need to lean the bike out assuming it was perfectly jetted for the lower altitude.

Any time someone is talking lean or rich, you're always talking about the amount of fuel in the air/fuel ratio. So like William said, when you go up in elevation the air is thinner/less O2 given the same jetting. You're still getting the same amount of fuel, but less O2 to mix with it, so you're rich(too much fuel).

DOH!!!! :smirk::smirk:

I just re read my post about going up in altitude and air getting thinner therefore making it run leaner....what a dumb ass!!!

see i told you i was totally confused!!!!

thanks again guys.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Nicturner
      Hi fellow thumpers,
      firstly if there is other threads on this topic I apologize.

i have a 2009 KTM 450 exc. I live at 5500 feet. I have a keihin carb. I currently have it set up with 
      green needle (jd kit) @ 4th from the top
      main #175 
      pilot #42
       in setting it up for some desert riding I plan on doing next month (LAB2V). Right  now I’m getting a bog if I rack the throttle a few times. I’m reading this is semi normal as the accelerator pump has a hard time refilling.
      i have put a new diaphragm, spring, lean jet is at #40 and air fuel acre 1 and 1/8 out.

im planning on going back to 172 main, red needle 5th from the top and #45 pilot.
      i normally ride the trails around lake arrowhead and Big bear in California. The trails are single track from 5000-10000 feet.

Anyone see any issues with either set up?
      how about the big if I get on it a few time ( not really noticeable when riding)
      sorry for the questions. This is my first carb I’ve ever worked on. 

Thanks in advance 

• By SNORE125
      Anyone else have 130 main and 38 pilot jets already in the carb I took the wifes ttr 230 carb apart to add the bigger jets and this bike from 05 that I bought new already had them in it? I was reading that they came with a 125 main and a 36 pilot.
    • By Charles Joseph Miron
      Hello all.  Need a helping hand here..  
      I bought an older TT225 and am not about to spend almost $600 on a new carburetor for it. So I'm hoping someone can help me out with an idea of what (other than original carburetor) style, type and brand I should go with..  I'm also having a bit of trouble finding info on this bike.  It's a 1986 Yamaha TT225.  
      Thank you in advanced
      Charles
    • By Br0ck
      Hey guys, I went on vacation all summer and let my bike sit (2002 CR250). When I got back I ripped it apart and cleaned carburetor and put it back together and it started fine and ran alright, but idled really high. I adjusted the idle screw and realized it was a ridiculous amount of turns out. I can't remember exactly how many but id say 6+ turns out. My killswitch was a POS and didn't work anymore so I replaced it with an oem replacement. My last ride I crashed the bike pretty bad and I was off the bike for 2 weeks. I can't get the bike to start ever since I got installed the new killswitch. I think I wired it right I just replaced one wire at a time and it looked pretty straight forward. I verified it by testing spark while holding it in I was getting no spark but with it in running position it would spark. 
      Anyway I am just looking for some base settings for the Mikuni TMX to get my bike running again, my carburetor has a 35 Pilot and 380 Main jet which appear to be stock. I am located in Edmonton, AB, Canada which is about 2500ft and usually ride between 10-25 celcius.
      Thanks for any replies. 
    • By Goon Rides
      Hey guys... so I have a problem... I took the bike at Cal City, broke it in, and while I was doing so, the bike was bogging in first gear (Yes, first gear). Also it doesn't idle at all. I have to keep blipping it otherwise it'll stall. So I adjusted the screw circled in image 1. Well I was listening to the sound of the of the bike, yet the rpm's weren't increasing, and it was still stalling. So then, I unscrewed the screw in image 2, well I found out that it was fully twisted to the right. So then, I twisted it to the left, still nothing; it was still stalling... where's the idle screw? I am sure that the screw in image 1 is for the air/fuel mixture screw, and the screw in image 2 is the idle screw, just broken? I don't know, any and every help would be appreciated.