Sign in to follow this  

KX250F crushed header pipe

Hey guys. About 2 months ago I wrecked and crushed my header pipe on a railroad track. The dent is right AFTER the 180 degree bend coming out of the engine, it is pretty good sized, about half the diameter.... ouch! First off, how much will this effect the power output? Would the filling with water and freezing method work to push some of the dent out until I get a new one? The pipe is the factory steel I believe. Thanks for your help.

Pacific crest pipe repair can generally repair the pipe for about 60 bucks. I just found another company that has started advertising in dirt rider and I think that the company is called fusion one. Upon further investigating, here are the websites for the two companies: www.piperepair.com (pacific crest) and www.fusiononeusa.com

try the freezing trick first. fill with water, but wrap a rag around the dent. the rag will insulate the water so that it will freeze last. this worked like a miracle for my titanium OEM honda pipe. it may work well for your pipe too. it may take two or three attempts, but could save you some money if it works.

Here's some pictures. So far I've tried the filling with water and freezing 4 times, and haven't noticed ANY results. Is is too bad to fix?

IMAG0215.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

With that restriction, I'd imagine you may burn an exhaust valve. Ebay, Craigslist, or your local muffler shop are your cheapest options.

Try the water again. Get some stoppers (home Depot or Lowes), fill with water and plug the ends (try to get all of the air out). Wrap a lot of rags around the dent and put it in the freezer.

The other method is to pressurize the pipe and then heat the dent area with a torch alloying the pressure to push out the dent.

Oaky, so after trying all the freezer methods over and over with no results, i decided to drill a hole on the oppsite side of the pipe, and i beat most of the dent out with a punch and hammer. I wasn't able to get it perfect, but was able to open it up and increase the flow significantly.

Then i tapped the hole and screwed in a metal pug. Then I sentover the plug and surrounding area with this exhaust manifold "liquid weld" stuff I got form Autozone for $6. It's rated up to 2000°F. Then I put a clamp over the plug. If you can tell, I really didnt want the plug to come out. Especially since the hole is kind of facing the water pump / radiatoor hose.

I went for a ride today, and the bike runs okay. I did seem to lose a LITTLE off the top end, but bottom end and mid seemed fine. I rode for around 5 hours without incident. The plug+liquid weld+clamp seem to of done fine. There isn't any sign that it leaked, although the liquid weld did seem to change color. But it's still hard. The clamp held up fine also, but just to be sure, I tightened it a little more and secured the clamp nut with some saftey wire so it cant back out.

This just needs to last untill next weekend, not a permanant fix by ANY means. But it did hold up okay for now. Thankfully I can get a Pro Circuit header for less than the factory ones. So, it will be replaced next paycheck. Thanks for all your guys help.

Oaky, so after trying all the freezer methods over and over with no results, i decided to drill a hole on the oppsite side of the pipe, and i beat most of the dent out with a punch and hammer. I wasn't able to get it perfect, but was able to open it up and increase the flow significantly.

That's actually pretty slick.

I got the idea from another member on here, or might of been on google or something. But, it worked. Really was a pain in the butt to plug the hole tho. Hopefully it lasts. I just need it to last for one more ride. There's a ride day coming up where I get to ride on McGrath's ranch with Ronnie Renner, Tommy Clowers, and bunch of other pros. Gonna be sick, wasn't going to let a dent in my pipe stop me from going! haha

Edited by s13_marine
My brain's quicker than my typing fingers!

nothing like riding with pros with a rigged header pipe lolol. I guess whatever works huh?

Took all that other crap off and used the shops welder, put a nice bead around the plug. looks like isht, but it's strong and doesn't leak!!!