Sign in to follow this  

Just got a used drz what do I check first??

So I just picked up a used 05 sm the other day with kind of a lot of miles on it. (about 15,xxx) I got it for cheap and I heard as long as you keep the valves in check these things go forever. So basically I'm wondering what all I should inspect to make sure the bike is in good running condition. I do not want to start ordering parts and dumping $ into it if the motor is going to need a re-build soon. So below is a list I have going of things I want to inspect on the bike just for my own peace of mind. Let me know if you guys can think of anything I am missing. thanks!

Check Valve clearance

Flush/fill with new oil/coolant

do a compression/leak down test

Check the charging system

anything else I want to be checking on a newly acquired used bike?? thanks in advance.

Locktite fix the counter shaft sprocket, counter balancer nut, primary nut, stator screws, flywheel/starter gear fasteners.

Remove the rear suspension and swing arm, clean and grease the bearings.

Remove the steering stem , clean and grease bearings.

Do the free power mod...

Install a Manual cam chain tensioner...

Install Case Savers..

At 15K+ miles I would be doing a top end inspection and rebuild ..

And don't forget to enjoy your new bike....:smirk:

Edited by CraigoDRZ400sm

Locktite fix the counter shaft sprocket, counter balancer nut, primary nut, stator screws, flywheel/starter gear fasteners.

Do the free power mod...

Install a Manual cam chain tensioner...

At 15K+ miles I would be doing a top end inspection and rebuild ..

by free power mod do you mean 3X3?? and what new parts are we talking about replacing in a top end re-build other than gaskets?? Maybe some new cams?? Do I replace the rings as well?? Is this doable for a rookie? I can follow written instructions very well and have a full setup of standard tools at my disposal. I will check the FAQ for write ups, thanks.

He is talking about the "Free Power" mod. Look at page 3 of the FAQS ^^^^^ up on top of this forum.

by free power mod do you mean 3X3?? and what new parts are we talking about replacing in a top end re-build other than gaskets?? Maybe some new cams?? Do I replace the rings as well?? Is this doable for a rookie? I can follow written instructions very well and have a full setup of standard tools at my disposal. I will check the FAQ for write ups, thanks.

New piston and rings.Gaskets..Check valves for wear...Look in FAQ.. top end removal and install instructions are very similar to big bore install..

What about checking the cam chain?? I hear a bit of ticking at idle, thinking my cam chain my have some slack in it, should i just get an MCCT and see if that helps?

Not to hijack, but is a ticking sound normal when the engine is off and I am rolling the bike from one spot to another? (first bike, only had it a few days now)

Not to hijack, but is a ticking sound normal when the engine is off and I am rolling the bike from one spot to another? (first bike, only had it a few days now)

????..got a clock on the bike...lol....probably associated with drive chain roller movement....

Yeah I dunno. It sounds like it's the chain, but I can't tell what's causing it or if it's normal. The faster I push the faster it clicks. Sounds like an old ten speed.

Could be worn chain and sprockets (do they look like shark fins) or maybe the chain too tight??

The chain will make some noise when been moved but shouldnt be excessive

It's used. It's an '06.

I cleaned scrubbed and degreased my chain and sprockets today. They were bad!! It made the noise quiet down considerably. There was so much crap gummed up in there. Hadn't been done in a long time I bet. But it's way better now that it's cleaned and dressed with fresh lube!

Also added my UnaBiker radiator guards tonight. Was not super impressed with the fit on the right side. It rubs right against the oil line, so I had to get a thick piece of rubber in-between the line and the guard, but the do look beefy and solid!

Also dropped it for the first time today. (Taking it off the stand by myself) :smirk:

It's fun being a motorcycle noob. LOL

What else should a new guy do?

Well since nobody else mentioned these I guess it would be a good idea to check brake pads and change brake fluid, and install a magnetic drain plug. Seems to me those are some BASIC things that should be done.