YZ125 question

I found an '01 YZ125 for sale that I can pick up for about $300. The engine was just rebuilt. The problem is that it doesnt start right now. The current owner claims it is because he lost the cover for the power valve. Will that cause it to not start or is there most likely something else wrong? I havent bought it or tested anything yet. I just pushed the kick start to make sure the engine turned over. Im very new and inexperienced with 2 stroke engines. Ive always had 4 strokes up until now.

i would start evaluating the condition of the carbuerator, im not sure, but i think the cover might not lead to starting problems.

i would start evaluating the condition of the carbuerator, im not sure, but i think the cover might not lead to starting problems.

It wouldnt be too bad if it is the carburetor. I know I can handle fixing that. Is the bike worth $300 or so not running?

For $300, assuming its not stolen, then you cant go wrong with the bike. You could part it out and get your money back easily.

Does the power valve cover have a gasket? Any recomendations on a good place to get one?

yes the powervalve cover has a gasket... your best bet would be ebay, oem will cost you!

Got one on Ebay for $23 shipped with gasket and bolts.