Sign in to follow this  

Washington Mentor needed

I started riding dirt bikes late in life and taught myself on my own. Results have been disastrous over the last 5 years. Last weekend during my second MX race ever I broke my leg on the last lap trying to make a pass at the finish. The reason why I made this decision is beyond me as is why I choose to pursue this hobby at the expense of finances, health, and family.

I spent half of the last decade which should have been some of the best years of my life deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan and when I am not there, most of my time is dedicated to preparing to go back. I have no regrets to the life I have chose I am just trying to stuff more in it. Between combat, training, family, and infrequent breaks in the WA weather it seems like every time I get on a bike is the first and I am learning all over again. Not to mention I do not look natural on a bike more in the goon category.

I'd like to find a person, group of people, or club that is mature and can take me under their wing and show me the ropes of MX so that I can pass on to others as well. I don't need a teenager with the advice of "go for it," because I am not lacking at all in the guts department. I need a mature adult to pull me aside and show me how to correct my deficiencies and give me a reality check when I need it. I am too old to keep going with my keep trying until I crash so bad I wreck my bike or my body.

Cheers!

Maybe you should get off the track and try the woods. Not saying trees don't hurt but until your skills are better it would less painful. There are plenty of hare scrambles you could try or even enduros. Lots of clubs and friendly people. MX tracks are very demanding and one mistake could be very painful as you have found out.

Maybe you should get off the track and try the woods. Not saying trees don't hurt but until your skills are better it would less painful. There are plenty of hare scrambles you could try or even enduros. Lots of clubs and friendly people. MX tracks are very demanding and one mistake could be very painful as you have found out.

I agree......thousands of miles of trails around here and few tracks. lots of non MX riding and racing to choose from.

Joe

I am in Olympia and ride the trails a fair amount. I also like heading out to the dunes, but that's a bit more of an expedition than a day trip for me. Thing I like about the track is if I go down there's someone to help and if my bike brakes I can carry it to my truck. Plenty of spots in Capitol forest with no reception and limited access that made me pretty cautious. Also have some folks int the woods that tear around corners without any regard for who may be on the other side, b ut you can apply that to anywhere you ride.

The key is to ride with some buddies, bring basic tools and tow strap. The rare occasion you break down in the woods is then not so bad. It sems like there is always someone around to ride with, especially on weekends, even if you just hook up with someone new in the parking lots of the ORV areas. Huge network online here to find like-minded riding groups. You can build your skils up without the speed then move back into MX track targeted improvements in between. It sounds like you have been trail riding primarily alone to date?

I can relate.11 years in the service doing whatever was asked of me. It got to point where I finally said enough and got out. I could only take to much, when I started a family it was time to stop with the crazy shit. Sadly that meant getting out,, no regrets. I had a great time for those 11 years.

I would echo some of the suggestions to try offroad. If you want to race try the hare scrambles, ISDE, time keepers, or grand prix. The risk factor is lower with less "big air" and a lower average MPH. The time keepers or ISDE events can be the ticket bcause it is you against the clock.

Sounds like you are at Lewis/McChord and there is a lot going on with the NMA in the area, give it a shot.

Joe........

What kind of bike are you riding? Ten or so years ago I did some riding with a friend of a friend who was just getting into riding in his mid 30's. The first few times out he was riding an early 90's KX 125 and his skills were progressing as you would expect them to. Around the forth trip out he showed up with a 98 KX 250 that he had gotten a good deal on,and let me tell you things took a real step backwards for him. He never looked comfortable on the 250 and was constantly on the ground or off the trail. And the worst part was that he refused to go back to the smaller bike to hone his skills. I guess he figured that a guy his age should be on a 250 regardless of how many hours he had spent in the saddle. I lost touch with him after that one season,but I'm willing to bet he gave up the sport,all because he had too much pride to ride a bike suitable for his skill level. I don't know if you fit this scenario at all,but it is food for thought.

I ride almost every weekend, most of the time with at least on riding buddy sometimes alone. It's those times when I'm alone that I ride much slower and work on honing my skills, weight transfer in corners, body position, etc. This is the time that I try different things, methods, or positions to see if they work better for me, that way I'm not holding up anyone but my self from riding.

If you want to make that trek up from down South I'd be glad to meet you at Walker.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice to the County :smirk::prof::smirk:

moto can be brutal, thats why you see the pros retire at such a young age.

I agree riding single track is a great alternative I love it!

5 years with disastrous results,wow! will you be my mentor? & tell me what not works

Here is my put. I'm 46 and race moto, I started back about 8 years ago. When I go to the track I go by myself most of the time. I've been doing it for a while and usually there is someone there I can talk to or will load the truck if I get hurt. I've been hurt my fair share, wrecked ankle, blown out knee, badly dislocated thumb etc. The thing is, You gotta know when to back it down and say "ahhh I'll get him next moto". Live to fight another day is the mantra of the old guy cuz if you get hurt, that other day takes longer and longer to get here. I've had days where I've not jumped a thing all day, I just didn't feel it. I've had days on the same track where I've jumped everything first lap. gotta know and learn your limits. Take a class, I've had Eric Waunch and Greg Crater work with me and it really helps. Make sure your bike is set up correctly and you aren't fighting it, Dan Moore from EVO ind can help here. I'm making the transition to off-road and it's a lot of fun. I don't think it's as sociable as moto though. In moto, on the line you know everyone in your class, so after the race you can go pick em out. Off road there may be 4 classes and not everyone runs numbers. In moto you have time after practice, and between motos to BS with the guys, talk about lines etc. Off road it's race and be done. Whichever one you choose, or both for that matter, take the time to practice slowly, watch the faster guys, walk up to someone and strike up a conversation. I've not had the opportunity to ride with anyone on here yet, cept in a race and I didn't know who they were, but this is a good place to see folks, then at the track say "hey, aren't you such and such from thumpertalk". EWmxschools.com is also a good site for local moto chat. Just remember, factory Yamaha or KTM is not currently recruiting in our area, so it doesn't matter how you look or finish but that you have fun and are able to come back and do it again. SMC (seattle motorcyle club) is the only MX club I know of. They put on the gold star and wa state series. Lots of good folks in that club but they meet in Renton, a bit far from Olympia. Contact someone here http://www.wastatemx.com/home. if you are at the track and see a Suzuki with 061 or a KTM with 061 stop by and say hi, please don't crash me though :-)

Edited by Paul061
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback and the PMs. Once the bone heals in my leg my goal will be to get back up on two wheels. I have a 2000 CR250 and a 07 yz450. Both are big bikes with lots of power. When I bought my first bike, the CR, I was told being 6' 200 lbs a 125 would be too small for me especially if I did any riding in the sand and after my first trip to the dunes I understood why. I decided that I will try to turn the CR into a more trail friendly machine and keep the yz for mx. I think I need to focus on riding and turning more before I work on my jumping and flying. Looking forward to getting my son joined up with a local peewee club, so he doesn't miss out on the season on my account.

The easiest way to turn that CR into a beginner friendly woods bike is to sell it and buy something from the KDX family. Lol

Or any KTM:thumbsup:

I agree,but I didnt want to look like a biased KTM pusher. Lol:ride:

I couldnt agree more:thumbsup: My son has a KDX200 & I have a KTM 200

both are great in the woods & verty durable

I agree,but I didnt want to look like a biased KTM pusher. Lol:ride:

I have to jump on the KTM band wagon here also. They are a great bike that can do anything with just a little adjustment.

Many years ago i used to race and i found that every time i went to a track i went away with some sort of injury. i gave up racing when i left Washugal in the back of an ambulance. Sure i get little injuries riding in the woods but they are fewer and much farther in between. I also concur that you should redevelop your skills off road, once up to speed do some off road race events. Once you have the bike and your self dialed in go hit a track on a practice day a few times before getting in the mix of a race.

The thing for me is in the woods i can look at things and know my limitations, on the track i just never quite figured out those limitations until it was way to late.:smirk:

But not to hijack your thread,when are you expecting to get the "all clear" to ride again? I have a baby expected mid June so it would be unwise for me to expect to go riding until August maybe. PM your info if you need somebody to tool around Capitol with. My buddies are tough to get out a lot of the time.

Thanks for all the feedback and the PMs. Once the bone heals in my leg my goal will be to get back up on two wheels. I have a 2000 CR250 and a 07 yz450. Both are big bikes with lots of power. When I bought my first bike, the CR, I was told being 6' 200 lbs a 125 would be too small for me especially if I did any riding in the sand and after my first trip to the dunes I understood why. I decided that I will try to turn the CR into a more trail friendly machine and keep the yz for mx. I think I need to focus on riding and turning more before I work on my jumping and flying. Looking forward to getting my son joined up with a local peewee club, so he doesn't miss out on the season on my account.

I am a very Addicted woods rider and can't imagine anything more fun than an enduro or a trail red with good friends. As far as skill building some really good time and money are spent on the Shane watts dirt wise riding school. I have done the regular school as well as the hardcore class and it really helped me up my game. There s one coming up in September out at JRs place I think...

Once you are back up and running hit me up and we can hit the trails, maybe an enduro!