migranes during/after riding

i get headaches almost every time i go riding or racing and cant figure out why...

i eat healthy,train,and all that. on race or ride day i eat bananas,fruit,chicken and drink water,powerade,muscle milk,and recovery drinks after im done riding

also i eat a lot of fruit for saved energy during the whole week before riding (learned this trick from MTF and it sure does help from getting tired quick)

yet i still get headaches everytime i go no matter how much i ride. i only rode 3 sessions today and came home with a splitting headache :smirk:

i ride lose and not tight at all

whats goin on, any pointers or tips to try and make this go away?

icky helmet fit?

do you get migraines when you do other cardio sport/exercise?

Try popping some aspirin right before you ride. Helps with aches after your ride.

I can usually alleviate my migraines with heating pack on the back of my neck and a little quite and a quick nap. Migraines suck and can really put a crimp on the fun. I believe mine came from trama associated with crazy skiing habits when I was young when I surely gave myself whiplash that went untreated. Have you encountered trama like this? I find regular visits to a good chiropractor also keep my migraines away. I finally broke down and went to the doctor and got a prescription, but the drugs suck and you endup having to go to sleep anyway to get rid of them. Sounds like you are on the right track with nutrition and fitness. Good luck.

I can usually alleviate my migraines with heating pack on the back of my neck and a little quite and a quick nap. Migraines suck and can really put a crimp on the fun. I believe mine came from trama associated with crazy skiing habits when I was young when I surely gave myself whiplash that went untreated. Have you encountered trama like this? I find regular visits to a good chiropractor also keep my migraines away. I finally broke down and went to the doctor and got a prescription, but the drugs suck and you endup having to go to sleep anyway to get rid of them. Sounds like you are on the right track with nutrition and fitness. Good luck.

You know what that might be it i had a bad crash riding bmx a couple years ago and had head trama didnt even think that coulda been it.. And as far as the helmet it fits perfect i run shoeis and they fit fantastic. Im gonna look into a chiropractor and see what that can do for me. It sucks it gets tonthe point where i dont wanna go riding cause im jist gonna come home with a migrane

Just a thought, Do you clench your teeth while you ride? I know people who grind/clench their teeth in their sleep tend to get migraines... Maybe try riding with a mouth guard.

Just a thought, Do you clench your teeth while you ride? I know people who grind/clench their teeth in their sleep tend to get migraines... Maybe try riding with a mouth guard.

nah i dont iv tried mouth guards before didnt help any just made me uncomfortable

eAR PLUGS ? HELPS ME

eAR PLUGS ? HELPS ME

really?

see a neurologist. maybe something simple, but who knows. good luck

I pop a couple of excedrin when I have had headaches when riding...sometimes before sometimes after and sometimes both before and after. I've had migraine headache problems since I was little. You may also look at doing a food diary to figure out what you eat also and how it may affect your head. I find that when I eat certain sausage or certain nitrates that triggers the headaches. Sometimes it's milk products for me . Try checking out the book " prescription for natural healing". Usually the latest version is at Costco. It's pretty much to the point like a service manual. There's lots of stuff at the library and online on how to diagnose causes of migraine headaches. It may also be tension headaches too. Do you have muscle tension/ache? I have found that when I have hamstring tension and shoulder/neck tightness I get a softball and lay down on it where there is the most tension. and work on the knots. It is pretty painful but helps. Stretching out helps. Stretching isn't fun to me but it works. It's just painful and takes time. I don't have enough patience ... Swimming also helps... It teaches me to breath steadily and consistently. Maybe you are not breathing correctly or holding your breath and not breathing enough. I read a shiatsu book that covered breathing in addition to trigger points. I never thought of it but not breathing enough and evenly will give you headaches. It's helped me. ..just some ideas to check out. Headaches are so debilitating. It's much better to head it off at the pass before so when you feel one coming on take some excedrin fast. For me once it's allowed to get there it's too late and I have to go in a dark room drink water and try to take a short rest to get rid of it. there's also 3 things you take when you have a migraine and I can't remember what it is now. I think it's magnesium, B vitamins and something else.. . Calcium? Oh well I'm sure if you put a search on it you'll find it..:smirk:

Good luck... Headaches are a killer...

do you drink enough water before riding? being dehydrated while riding can sure cause headaches. Also, the muscle right behind your neck called the trapezius could be tight which can cause headaches. Ive been job shadowing at a physical therapy clinic and there are quite a few people that get headaches from tight trapezius. try to relax your shoulder muscles and grip harder with your knees. I hope you figure out something that works

I have a buddy who gets really bad motion sickness from riding track. Just another random idea to throw out there.

do you drink enough water before riding? being dehydrated while riding can sure cause headaches. Also, the muscle right behind your neck called the trapezius could be tight which can cause headaches. Ive been job shadowing at a physical therapy clinic and there are quite a few people that get headaches from tight trapezius. try to relax your shoulder muscles and grip harder with your knees. I hope you figure out something that works

yeah i drink more than enough i always make sure to do that because i get headaches so frequently and as stated im very calm and relaxed when i ride and grip with my knees when i ride.. i think its from a crash i had a while back that was brought up on page one. im gonna have it checked out again

I find normal visits to a good chiropractor furthermore hold my migraines away. I eventually smashed down and went to the medical practitioner and got a prescription, but the pharmaceuticals imbibe and you end up having to proceed to doze anyhow to eliminate them. Sounds like you are on the right pathway with nutrition and fitness.

yeah i pay good attention to fitness,nutrition,and training thats why i am wondering why i get such bad migranes, half the time ill only race one class or cut my practice days short cause the migranes are extremely painful and i even throw up sometimes

I've always figured there might be a relationship to my own concussion and occasional ride headaches. Also, I would urge caution with too much sugar uptake prior to a ride. The crash afterwards can bring on a headache for me. Stick with protein and moderate complex carbs and plenty of water. Earplugs are a good suggestion I would think too. Jogging, lifting weights, and elimination of all forms of caffeine are good too.

I've always figured there might be a relationship to my own concussion and occasional ride headaches. Also, I would urge caution with too much sugar uptake prior to a ride. The crash afterwards can bring on a headache for me. Stick with protein and moderate complex carbs and plenty of water. Earplugs are a good suggestion I would think too. Jogging, lifting weights, and elimination of all forms of caffeine are good too.

yup i try and eliminate sugars and caffeine at least 2 days before riding

and also eat a lot of protein before and after riding along with recovery drinks

im gonna try the earplug suggestion, i noticed Tomac wears them too

as far as the helmet it aligns flawless i run shoes and they fit fantastic. Im gonna gaze into a chiropractor and glimpse what that can manage for me.

My day care lady was having severe migrane headaches. It was finally linked to her back from picking all the kids up all day long. A chiropractor fixed it up for her.

So it doesn't nessecarily have to be linked to a head trauma injury or anything. Maybe if work requires you to lift a lot, your back gets out of alignment and causes issues.