Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Help 2003 CR125R

I have a friend who bought a used 2003 CR125R several years back. He pretty much left it at my house about 4-5 years ago / has never ridden it since so I'm basically considering it my spare bike to take any of my friends riding whenever I need a riding partner who doesn't own their own bike. He's okay with that and I told him I'll fix what is needed, etc. Last time I the bike was ridden was about 3 years ago. I had replaced the throttle housing with some cheap Motion Pro item because the tube the grip covers was all chipped and cracking. I don't remember if it was ever ridden with the new MP throttle, but the throttle was kind of sticking / just not returning. It was so long ago, I'm thinking I just said screw it until a later date (and now it's that date). So, I just bought new Boyeson reeds, a FMF Spark Arrestor, DID Chain, Air Filter, Some misc OEM parts, carb return spring, and Motion Pro throttle cable (part 02-0384) [stock cable just didn't seem all that smooth after cleaning and lubing]. I tried putting the cable into the throttle housing and with all the adjustments (top of carb and throttle housing) maxed, I still have about 1/2-3/4" play. I'll mess wiht it some more, but I'm pretty sure I had the throttle in the housing properly. I'm guessing I will just have to buy a better throttle; any suggestions on a replacement. I can't find any of his old OEM throttle parts, and buying new OEM would be pretty spendy. I have probably spent about $300 on his bike recently and don't really feel like spending any more right now if I don't need to.

Another option could be that if I take my throttle from my 2004 CR250R and place it on his 03 125R (would that work - cable length, etc.,), and I could get me something a lot better (I'd rather do that than buy him a real good one).

I have pretty much done all my own work, suspension / motor, etc. for 25 years.. this is just kind of irking me.

I'll check that tomorrow. I'm kind of thinking the OEM Honda Throttle assembly sucked up that other half inch or so. I think the ends of the cable are at the correct length, it's just the cable jacket is too short.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By D.Barrett
      Kicking around the idea of selling my CR250. I have other bikes and never get a chance to ride this one.

This is a well-maintained bike with tons of aftermarket parts. It's set up primarily for woods/single-track riding, but will still do just fine on an MX track.

Engine:
      -Fresh Pro-X top end(<1 hour)
      -FMF Gnarly pipe & FMF Shorty silencer(<1 hour on fresh packing)
      -PWK Air-Striker Carburetor(bought new from JD Jetting last year)
      -Steahy 10oz. Flywheel Weight
      -Boyesen Rad Valve with Carbon-fiber reeds
      -TwinAir air filter

Misc:
      -Excel Pro-Series Wheels(19"/21")
      -Brand-new Shinko tires(546 Front, 505 Cheater Rear not mounted yet) w/ Heavy-duty tubes
      -Works Connection Radiator Guards
      -Skid Plate
      -FMF Factory 909 Handlebars
      -Polished Frame
      -Sunstar 13/51 Steel Sprockets(new in box)

I'm sure I'm missing a few odds and ends. Comes with a Bill of Sale only. (708)287-1998 - Dave
    • By waldo
      Parting out 2000 cr 250r: frame 150.00, seat with brand new fx cover 30.00, sub frame 30.00, pro circuit works pipe 50.00, kick starter 10 bucks, tank with shrouds 30.00, rear shock 45.00, swing arm 40.00.  make offer on all other parts in picture. Buyer pays shipping from 36092 zip. 
    • By BabyGroot69
      Hello,
      I could not seem to find a similar thread so if one exists I apologize. I have an 02 cr250r with an 01 motor. I need to buy a new silencer with a spark arrestor because the current one does not have one. I am not sure if the owner before me used an 01 or 02 silencer because I have read the frame had significant changes from 01 to 02. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    • By Christo6060
      I want to restore a 1996 cr80 that doesn’t have any graphics and absolutely love the 1994 cr125r tank shroud graphics, I can’t seem to find anything that fits the cr80 with those graphics. I found one last week but lost the page and couldn’t track it down again, do the cr125r graphics fit the cr80 tank shrouds? or does anyone know where someone could make them for cheap or know about any in Australia 

• By cerialsledder
      Hey guys,

Could someone please explain the numbers on a needle jet for a mikuni carb?  I'm currently running a 38-73 needle but a lot of the people I talk to say I would be happier running a 38-70 needle.  I don't have a problem with going with what other recommend but I would like to understand the numbering for the needles first.  I understand the nozzle sizes, main jet and pilot jet it's just this damn needle thingamobob

Thanks a lot