Sign in to follow this  

California Cal City Survey

The DIRT team uses the slower months over the summer months to complete OHV expansion projects. The remaining permit funds that are left after paying for 1st aid supplies, repairing Borax Bill, fuel for 1st aid trucks, etc, are used to fund something needed by our OHV visitors. There has been many comments into the Borax Bill station but thought we would throw the survey out there and try to get input what visitors want.

We'll tell you there are several projects still on the works:

1) Increase RV Dump lanes so that guests can leave empty.

2) Increase RV Fresh Water filling station locations so guests can fill up with fresh water when arriving in Cal City and save some $$ on fuel costs and carrying 100-150 gallons of water from...?...wherever you start.

3) Increase 1st Aid patrols around the riding area. When the teams aren't busy, they also help stranded riders and help get them back into camp. The team was donated some ramps so we are returning the favor to riders that need help if they get stranded (And if were not working on a patient).

4) We plan on building more Hot Shower/Restroom buildings.

5) More RV hook-up places

But here is the question....

Would more people prefer the team to build campsites close to Borax Bill Park or at other popular sites? (Camp A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, Green Tire area??).

We're open for suggestions from our TT friends that come by and visit.

Dirt Team Leader.......

.....used to fund something needed by our OHV visitors.

1) Increase RV Dump lanes so that guests can leave empty.

2) Increase RV Fresh Water filling station locations so guests can fill up with fresh water when arriving in Cal City and save some $$ on fuel costs and carrying 100-150 gallons of water from...?...wherever you start.

3) Increase 1st Aid patrols around the riding area. When the teams aren't busy, they also help stranded riders and help get them back into camp. The team was donated some ramps so we are returning the favor to riders that need help if they get stranded (And if were not working on a patient).

4) We plan on building more Hot Shower/Restroom buildings.

5) More RV hook-up places

But here is the question.....would more people prefer the team to build campsites close to Borax Bill Park or at other popular sites? (Camp A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, Green Tire area??).

Once again Eric, thanks to all of you in Cal City that continue to have the backs of the OHV community. Your partial comment at the beginning says it all.....any chance you can instill some of the same thinking in anyone outside of town? I know, I know but it never hurts to dream.

I think all of the items you have numbered are great ideas if they are really an issue for the majority of visitors. I've seen the lineup at the dump station, so more lanes there would be welcome and I don't see where the cost would be too great. We haul our own soft water and are fortunate enough to have a dump station at home, but we're more than happy to continue paying the permit fees so others can have to convenience too.

As far as the campsites, I'd like to see you build some in other locations as long as they are manageable at the distance. Too much at Borax Bill's will make it too crowded so I'd develop just enough to properly house the emergency center and all of the necessary apurtances to accompany the "campground" there. If you were to develop some other campsites around, will the permit fees cover the cost and maintenance?

We would love to see four or five scattered locations but how will you deal with water and power if those things may be on the agenda? Could you install pay showers and truck the water in to fill an underground storage tank? Not sure how RV hookups can get power remotely for anything close to a reasonable cost unless you install generators to run in the morning and in the evening, and that power would have to be paid for in addition to cover the production cost I'm sure.

Keep asking for feedback for sure, and remember to ask for volunteers. As you know many off roaders are contractors and may be willing to donate labor and/or materials to your efforts. What happened to the cleanups? You really should have a big one every year like Barstow and the others. Thanks again and keep us posted.

My friends and I usually just go out with tents/pickups, and we really expect to rough it out there, and we generally stay away from bathrooms/campsites just because they tend to be crowded. Personally, I love just seeing open desert for miles. We're responsible riders and pack out a little more than we pack in.

I vote for option 3. Didn't know there was first aid patrols out there, and I think its really cool that there is.

Also, never hurts to acquire more riding land to ride on so it doesn't get turned into Wilderness. :smirk:

I like #3 and #4. I'm a tent/van camper and prefer to be a outside of BB and away from the crowd so having showers and extra bathrooms at other sites around the general area would be nice, so, even if you're not at BB or a designated campground, you can ride or drive over when nature calls or to clean up after a day of riding.

I personally think some remote water stations would be a great idea, just for the fact that people getting in late at night dont have to pull into borax bills and wake everyone up. But other than that, just open more riding land, alot of cool trails I remember riding that are closed off.

Scattered camp grounds. This means shelters, fire rings, and toilet drop buildings to me. No need for the electrical, but water would be nice. Any way to put in a well? How deep would you need to go to get water? Love what you do and more trails and land would be a plus.

What about trash bins at the dump station? Having to stop twice is a pain. I like the idea of more dump stations in another area to keep congestion down and long lines. I appreciate what Cal offers my family during our stay.

any way funds could be used to increase cellular reception in the area?? it would be nice to be able to ride in completely open desert without the fear of being out of emergency coverage....

any way funds could be used to increase cellular reception in the area?? it would be nice to be able to ride in completely open desert without the fear of being out of emergency coverage....

Yes... I forgot to mention that. We have two cell phone companies installing two new towers that will service the OHV area. Its been a long time in the works but at least one will be up and running by end of this year.

We already have in the works a different location for the 4 - 6 lane RV dump station. It won't be at Borax Bill but will be closer to the existing one (but have more room to expand).

Thanks for all the + words about the team. Will pass it on. I like the idea of some type of dry camp with shade,ring, with some type of easy-maint toilet system. I'll keep tabs on the post for any more good ideas. I also agree that we probably won't want to overcrowd Borax Bill.

There is a new restaurant taking place of the old one that used to be by the motorcycle shop. Should be open soon with new owners and be nice place to ride to.

I love Cal City and the Dirt Team. I havent yet been this year and need to get a new sticker, but I'm going to pay double for the 2 bikes and 1 quad that I have! It is well deserved.

I think another Borax Bills type setup would be great in another location.

After a 8 month layoff from my 'get-off' @ Cal City, I rode this Memorial wknd Monday. Could not have asked for a nicer day. Was a good day. Wanted to say "Thanks" again to the medics @ Borax Bill's 8 mos ago. Without you guys, I'd be a goner. Thanks man! :smirk: