Sign in to follow this  

Piston replacement advice from the experts

Hi guy's

Unfortunately the valve bug finally got me on my Athena kitted big bore 280 after owning Honda's for the last 7 years. I was after some advice on replacing my piston / rings while its apart. I was about to order rings along with the valves and gaskets at the same time and got it apart and wanted some feed back on the piston as the coating has worn on the side skirts as seen in the pics

crf280p.jpg

crf280-1.jpg

crf280pt.jpg

So would you replace the piston afer looking at the wear on the skirt, does the piston top look like its running ok. There are no marks in the bore .

Any input would be appreciated guys:thumbsup:

that's sort of a loaded question.... personally i would never bother with the time + labor + oil +coolant + gaskets.... just to put rings in a modern /high rpm / high output 4-stroke

the risk is too great in pushing piston replacement time limits.... if you are wrong, it will cause a VERY sharp pain in your wallet...

if i pull it apart, i would put in a fresh piston for sure

that's sort of a loaded question.... personally i would never bother with the time + labor + oil +coolant + gaskets.... just to put rings in a modern /high rpm / high output 4-stroke

the risk is too great in pushing piston replacement time limits.... if you are wrong, it will cause a VERY sharp pain in your wallet...

if i pull it apart, i would put in a fresh piston for sure

Thanks I pulled it to do the valves and thought I change rings. I think I will replace the piston as well. Would love to port the head too

Would you go with another Athena kit or Wiseco??

Replace like with like :smirk: