So many 4 stroke failures already in pro classes

I for one can't get over the fact that so many of these 4 strokes have been grenading on a regular basis. Color and team doesn't seem to matter. I read where many last week again blamed KTM's 350 for being overly built, nonsence.........They are 2-2.5 hour run time engines and for all practical purposes, and then scrapped. I remember the days when Red Bud meant the sweet smell of leaded high test premix in the air. Now when i go for the July nats, all you smell is burning oil from the engines on the edge of exploding! The best hand built parts in the world, where money is no issue still seems to have little effect on failure rate. Just imagine if the pros truly did ride production engines...With only exhaust and tune up. It's my belief that less than half would consistently finish at that level. If you have never been to a outdoor national, ya better go and see for yourself. At the end of each moto, nearly all bikes with top 10 fastest riders have obvious signs of engines on the edge of failure. Outdoor is without question the real deal for both man and machine. SX is entertaining when it's snowing outside, but otherwise turning into a sideshow where overall focus has less to do with racing each year.

:thumbsdn:It was mentioned during yesterdays broadcast that all Honda teams replace the motor with a fresh one between motos. Not something you see at the privateer level, not something you'll find at your local track. I think your on to something there when you mention they should be limited to pipe and moderate tuning upgrades.

When the dealerships try to sell their bikes as "race ready" and then you hear about Steweys bike costing over $100k? Stupid to try to make any kind of comparsion of the two ?

But then again, most of us don't ride our bikes with the rev limiter tapped out either. Full blown 4 stroke race bikes are finneky machines, at least that has been my experience. Yes, much easier to maintain a 2 smoker between motos than a thumper for sure.

Mine is constantly being rev'd out to the max. For some reason when I fall I fall to the right and my throttle will get buried into the ground and crank open.

The average Joe is getting many hrs. out of there bike with proper maint. If you ride like these factory riders then I dont care what you have 2 stroke or 4, the motor is good for one race in the outdoor nationals. It stinks what happen to RD, that was his race.

the full race 2 strokes from back of the day, especially the 125's were grenades waiting to explode just like the full factory built 250f's. when you push the engines to the absolute edge of power you will have a short life span, simple as that.

Just imagine if the pros truly did ride production engines...With only exhaust and tune up. It's my belief that less than half would consistently finish at that level.

Actually it would be the exact opposite. Stock engines are much more reliable than highly modified engines. As horsepower goes up, reliability goes down at a staggering rate. Whenever you run an engine to it's performance limit you will be on the verge of grenading it. Look at many of the pro's practice bikes. I have a friend that has been racing for varous teams for a few years. His practice bike is essentially stock with a pipe and A kit suspension and he gets tons of hours on it without a failure, yet he has had a few of his race bikes expire before the end of a 35 minute moto.

Exactly, what's more reliable - a Honda Civic or a Honda F1 race car? Bit of a stretch, but the "dumbed" down engine will almost always be more reliable.

Poor Dungey. I wonder if its bad luck, bad machines, or a bad mechanic. For all the good I hear about his wrench, Dungey has had one dropped chain, one blown engine, and one overheated engine. Seems like luck has nothing to do with that, except for maybe the chain drop. Overheating an engine, even if it is hot out should not be an issue racing at this level.

Poor Dungey. I wonder if its bad luck, bad machines, or a bad mechanic. For all the good I hear about his wrench, Dungey has had one dropped chain, one blown engine, and one overheated engine. Seems like luck has nothing to do with that, except for maybe the chain drop. Overheating an engine, even if it is hot out should not be an issue racing at this level.

I didn't think there was an overheated engine...I thought he got a hole in the case in SX and it was leaking fluid?

The real question I have is why isn't Suzuki doing what Honda is reportedly doing. Is Suzuki unable to support RD to the level of other factorys? I mean, 2 major motor failures!

from what i heard RD just plain and simply ran out of gas ! i also think that building and running these machines to the max is part of factory race and development! that helps bring us some of the factory parts they have tested over the seasons . making the production bike evolve that much more !!

I do think it's pathetic the bikes are failing like they are.. F1 and moto GP bikes last longer than 30 minutes.. The amount of heat these engines create is the majority of the problem. You sheep have jumped on the 4-broke band wagon; hook and sinker.. The bike makers are in the business of selling bikes and parts.. If the bikes last to long, they aren't selling many bikes or parts..

I had no idea they switched motors between races that is intense. I remember back in the day they would put a new top end in the 2t but a whole engine that's built. Wow definitely sounds a bit different then the race bikes the dealership sells

the engine did not break , there was no death smoke , it was not locked up , it just died from lack of fuel or spark and RD tried to restart it , it looked like it had comp. when he was kicking it , it lost spark or a fuel pump or ran out of gas , what a bummer!