Sign in to follow this  

rekluse exp vs core exp, whats the differance?

Im looking at puting a rekluse in my kx 450 09 for trail riding, whats the actual differance between the two? More adjustment with the core? Better lever feel?

I had the core exp, they said to me that for serious racing the exp was better, not sure if its more robust, but it has more adjustment and you can use your clutch like a normal clutch, ie pull the lever to engage the clutch once it has disengaged

I would like to know as well. The website doesn't really explain the difference from what I can tell.

I would like to know as well. The website doesn't really explain the difference from what I can tell.

I agree.

Their website is lame.

Lot's of buy here stuff, and fluff about how great they are, but little comparison info and a distinct lack of useable information.

I was going to buy a Rekluse, but am giving a hard look at the Dyna Ring for that very reason.

Maybe one day folks trying to sell stuff on the web will learn, useable info makes for an informed consumer. Fluff just seems like smoke and mirrors hype.

From what I gather the diff between the core exp and the new exp2 [the new core does use the exp2] is that the core is a complete clutch conversion, basket, hub, pressure plate, friction and steel plates, clutch cover, & the exp. This I guess allows more tuning ability vs the just exp that uses all the stock components.

Either or will work but the core will work better.

well i found this on the rekluse website, seems the core comes with the hub, pressure plate and cover (which add's 300ml to the oil capacity), the new pressure plate allow's completely internal adjustment of the EXP gap, so you keep the lever feel 100% stock, while just the EXP unit uses the stock pressure plate, so you have to set the gap using tension on the clutch cable (meaning no free play at all, would need an adjustable reach lever like a sunline), also just the EXP need's heavier clutch springs so the lever is heavier then stock, but with similar feel, you can also use a hydro clutch on the core while you cant with just the EXP, if you wish that is..

does anyone know if i buy just the EXP, can i upgrade to the core later? is there a kit?

well i found this on the rekluse website, seems the core comes with the hub, pressure plate and cover (which add's 300ml to the oil capacity), the new pressure plate allow's completely internal adjustment of the EXP gap, so you keep the lever feel 100% stock, while just the EXP unit uses the stock pressure plate, so you have to set the gap using tension on the clutch cable (meaning no free play at all, would need an adjustable reach lever like a sunline), also just the EXP need's heavier clutch springs so the lever is heavier then stock, but with similar feel, you can also use a hydro clutch on the core while you cant with just the EXP, if you wish that is..

does anyone know if i buy just the EXP, can i upgrade to the core later? is there a kit?

I put the EXP 2.0 on my '08 KX450 and it rocks! Yes, I did add and adjustable lever, and yes the clutch pull is 15% stiffer than stock, but so what. It is amazing how much less fatigued you are with the EXP unit installed!!

You can put a CORE Upgrade to the EXP 2.0 unit. You have to call for price., as it is different for some bikes.

I really did not think I was going to love this EXP clutch. I thought it would be a good compromise for not having a wide ratio tranny, so I would not have to keep changing gearing, but WOW was I pleasantly surprised!

I can do 1mph vertical switchbacks all day long without issue, and still get to 60mph top speed.

So cool.....

I put the EXP 2.0 on my '08 KX450 and it rocks! Yes, I did add and adjustable lever, and yes the clutch pull is 15% stiffer than stock, but so what. It is amazing how much less fatigued you are with the EXP unit installed!!

You can put a CORE Upgrade to the EXP 2.0 unit. You have to call for price., as it is different for some bikes.

I really did not think I was going to love this EXP clutch. I thought it would be a good compromise for not having a wide ratio tranny, so I would not have to keep changing gearing, but WOW was I pleasantly surprised!

I can do 1mph vertical switchbacks all day long without issue, and still get to 60mph top speed.

So cool.....

I too just put one in my CRF450R... love it!!! The clutch pull is HEAVY, but really doesn't matter cuz you really only use it out of habit. It really is an amazing upgrade...

Totally different feel and function from the Z-start as well. My buddy put a Z-start in his KX a few months ago and while it is really cool too I'm kinda glad I got the EXP 2.0.

If you are fortunate enough to have a buddy or two with them I'd ride a little with each one... then decide which way you wanna go...

So in layman's terms the Core EXP is only needed for heavy abuse/racing and is overkill for the weekend warrior? Is the clutch pull the only difference a casual rider would notice in performance between the two?

So in layman's terms the Core EXP is only needed for heavy abuse/racing and is overkill for the weekend warrior? Is the clutch pull the only difference a casual rider would notice in performance between the two?

The Core EXP is a complete clutch replacement.

The EXP by itself just replaces a few stock plates.

Both use the new 2.0 version of the EXP.

If your bike comes with a wimpy clutch (KX450, CRF450, etc) then a Core EXP makes sense. Or, if you ride very aggressively.

The main difference is the core EXP may cause a divorce if your wife finds out you spent a grand on a clutch....

The Core EXP is a complete clutch replacement.

The EXP by itself just replaces a few stock plates.

Both use the new 2.0 version of the EXP.

If your bike comes with a wimpy clutch (KX450, CRF450, etc) then a Core EXP makes sense. Or, if you ride very aggressively.

Thanks. I guess it doesn't really matter. I just looked and they only make the Core EXP for my bike.

I had the core exp, they said to me that for serious racing the exp was better, not sure if its more robust, but it has more adjustment and you can use your clutch like a normal clutch, ie pull the lever to engage the clutch once it has disengaged

Did it come with a clutch basket?