Sign in to follow this  

Noisey XR400

My 2000 XR 400 is ticking very loudly from the RHS exhaust valve area. I have adjusted clearances but cannot seem to reduce the noise. I removed the rocker arn for inspection and thought it didn't look too worn but I'm not sure if this is the cause of the ticking?Cam looks okay too. I've attached a link to a photo of the rocker arm.

Any help would be appreciated. a>

Before you adjust the RH valve you must be sure the manual decomp has the correct free play and isn't actuating the valve at TDC, as set up for checking/adjusting the valves. Then after adjusting the valve, you reconfirm the manual decomp still has the required free play amount.

Thanks,

Yeah, i think the answer is related to the decomp somehow. I know the manual decomp is not activated but I'm thinking that the pin under the cam is activating the decomp maybe?? I'm not sure how this works though - after adjusting the valve clearance, I rechecked the gap and found it was very sloppy after i rotated the engine a couple of times. Then I re-set the gap and rotated it a few more times and it stayed the same. It was way too late to fire it up last night when I finished but I'm confident that it will have solved my problem - hopefully.

Big thanks again.