Sign in to follow this  

2003 CR250R in the woods - why not???

Yesterday was my first real singletrack ride on the Honda. The bike has stock gearing, stock suspension, stock pipe, stock carb (with leaner jetting) etc....

I raced a Husky last year in harescrambles & assumed that the Husky would be better off road than a stock Honda mxer. In my first real woods ride on the Honda, I was turning faster laps than I ever did on the Husky!

I don't see many of the '02-07 CR250R's in the woods - why not? That is a SWEET woods bike!!! :smirk:

They get a bad rap for having a weak motor because they don't have the hit the pre 02 bikes had. But i love my 02 compaired to my 97 motor. The lack of the hit and the smoother power delivery are great in the woods and inspires more confidence jumping on the tracks is ride. No lack of power on m 02. My 02 is strock except for a gnarly pipe and turbine core 11 silencer. Soon to get a RAD valve and the squish set.

They get a bad rap for having a weak motor because they don't have the hit the pre 02 bikes had. But i love my 02 compaired to my 97 motor. The lack of the hit and the smoother power delivery are great in the woods and inspires more confidence jumping on the tracks is ride. No lack of power on m 02. My 02 is strock except for a gnarly pipe and turbine core 11 silencer. Soon to get a RAD valve and the squish set.

That makes sense. The Husky had lots of mid to top power, with a heavy flywheel so that it wasn't easy to kill. The Honda has more bottom end power, with a much wider area of useable power and little flywheel effect. I prefer the Honda power for shooting from tree to tree.

I just got an '02 250 and just took it out in the woods today. I has some mods on it (Flywheel weight, FMF Gnarly pipe, bigger rear sprocket). It did really well and only stalled a few times which could have been avoided with a little more use of the clutch. It didn't have any problems starting back up and never fowled a plug. Here is my topic on it: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=982589

yes back in 02 i had a 02 cr250, no bottomend but i loved it and it was one of my better bikes and i have had alot of them. In 2003 i rode a stock yz250 and it had so much power i had to have one, it had a pro circuit pipe and that was all. my 02 cr250 had pipe, silencer, rad valve, reed valve spacer,timing advanced, ballanced crank shaft and the yz shock me. So i got a 03 yz250 and from idle to 1/2 the cr couldn't hod a candle to the yz but at full tilt they were about the same. But as it worked out i was never as fast on the yz in the single track trails as i was on the cr250 2002. The yz would hit so hard from just a crack of the throttle that in alot of condition it would mess up my line or i would just not have the confidence in tight trees. The cr turned better, the lack of power compared to the yz (really it is ok as long as you don't ride a yz250) made it easy to ride and any time you need to go in a hurry all it only takes is slipping the clutch about 1/2 of a second to get it to rip. So it had good smooth bottom end and just a touching of the clutch and it will run with any 2 stroke. i wished i keept the cr250. from then till now i have not bought another yz and i am on my 3 cr250, now a 2 stroke 2000 cr. and 4 four strokes. still like the 2 strokes best.

I've been mostly riding my 2002 CR250R in the woods since Feb. of this year and I have grown to love it. The bike turns extremely well and the power delivery is very manageable. It's kind of nice too that the CR250R's seat height is almost 2 inches less than my 2007 YZ250's and that helps me out sometimes in the more technical stuff with regards to getting a foot down a little easier. For some reason the CR's front end seems to stay planted better for me. The brakes are excellent and it has a comfortable seat and overall good ergos. The YZ250 is also an excellent woods bike that is very powerful and mine has been 100% reliable. It's just that I am really starting to think that the Honda works a little better for me in the woods. Here is a picture of my 2002 CR250R that I am in the process of doing a makeover on. I still have to put my swingarm and lower fork guard graphics on as well as the black seat cover. Just got the Boyesen Rad Valve and exhaust flange installed but haven't had an opportunity to test them out yet.

PIC_0098.jpg

please don't miss understand my post i was not talking up the yz over, i was just telling that it had a good bit more power off the bottom but i was talking up the honda at how good it was for me. and the little bit lees power off the bottom worked better for me. After the 2002 cr250 i have had 2005 cr250 highly moded engine even ran a rekluse ckutch for about a year,also a 2001 cr250 that had lees vibration because of the stiff frame and turned alittle better but it would beat up a little but a good motor.the 2002 was so good i could be in a tight zig zag pine thicket coming down a hill with a sandy curve at the bottom and be on the front brake and hold it and event start turning in the sand with the front bake still on, gas it with a slit slip of the clutch and rocket out of the turn and slowly pull away from some of my buds.

please don't miss understand my post i was not talking up the yz over, i was just telling that it had a good bit more power off the bottom but i was talking up the honda at how good it was for me. and the little bit lees power off the bottom worked better for me. After the 2002 cr250 i have had 2005 cr250 highly moded engine even ran a rekluse ckutch for about a year,also a 2001 cr250 that had lees vibration because of the stiff frame and turned alittle better but it would beat up a little but a good motor.the 2002 was so good i could be in a tight zig zag pine thicket coming down a hill with a sandy curve at the bottom and be on the front brake and hold it and event start turning in the sand with the front bake still on, gas it with a slit slip of the clutch and rocket out of the turn and slowly pull away from some of my buds.

No worries - The 2 guys that I practice with ride YZ250's, and I notice the same thing as you. The CR250 seems to have just enough power to hook up (in the woods), but not so abrupt that it is hard to control.

My friend also has a YZ250, he has a 04 and says that he had it purchase again that he would strongly concider a CR due to the handling and power delivery and that was on a MX track. I took mine in the woods for the first time and I completey agree with all the above. it hooked up great even on muddy hills when others could not make it.

The Honda CR250 is ALL ABOUT THE HANDLING.

The 3rd gen perimeter alum frame is regarded as the best one Honda made.

THere isn't a bike that can outhandle it. NOt even the latest and greatest KTM pingers.

My 02 CR250 is the best handling bike I've owned since a 74 CR125 way back when. I run a Rekluse and flywheel weight (plus it's jetted correctly - makes a big difference from stock). It's a fantastic woods bike, sometimes I'll come close to disaster and the bike just flat out saves my ass...

Last Friday morning I had a conversation with a very well respected motorcycle suspension expert here in N.C. that rides and works on every type of dirt bike you can imagine. He said that he wishes he still had his 2002 CR250R because it was the best handling bike he has ever ridden.

how does the handling compare to the 92-96 cr 250s?

I had a 93 & a buddy a 96 model we use to race in the 90's. I felt the 93 turned better & is close to the 02-07 chassis 3rd gen frame. But when it comes to the suspension the 3rd gen. is supperior in every way.

I rode my 2000 last year in the woods. I bought it from my Brother for a song. Put a new top end on it along with all the other wear items because my Brother is a tird when it comes to keeping things up. Bike screams. I bought a 2010 Husaberg 450 FE. Now I ride that. Suspension is better for me in the woods. Now that I have 2 bikes I keep taking my pals with me and have gotten 2 people to buy bikes. Love it first piece of crack is free kind of thing. Last week my pal ran the left radiator of the CR into an non movable object just replaced it and it is the first time I am on it this year. That motor is sick!! It's now ready for its next victim!

Yesterday I finished my 1st ever Enduro on the CR250. It took everything I could throw at it and laughed.

:ride:

I installed a Revloc Dynaring in this bike now. I wonder how that will work in the woods???

I'm a little curious about those myself. I'm beginning to see there may be a reason for an auto clutch on my CR250 :thumbsup: How was the set-up and does it have clutch override/bump start?