MXA TC 449 Test

Just got the July issue of MXA and it has a test on the TC 449. They said the engine had a lot of torque and was competitive. They felt the bike rode a bit high in the rear but noted Zip Ty racing was testing linkages to remedy this. They also had a small review of Bobby Bond's TC and said his bike was much better in this regard. Bond's bike was fitted with a Marzocchi fork, and Ohlins shock as opposed to the stock Kayaba stuff however. They praised the clutch, dual maps, and the brakes. They said the bike was heavy but also noted all 450s save for the Honda were at least 240 lbs. They said the bike handled with aplomb thanks to a steep head angle and torque monster powerband. They said this bike is better than the TC 450 that preceded it. An overall good review.

There's the twist to these several magazine reviews... they might compare another Husky, but don't really compare it to a Honda / Yamaha / etc.

You dog RJ I wanted to be the first to read it!!! Mine hasn't arrived yet!:smirk:

Well Tony as I'm sure you know the organized comparisons are long over with. In order for Husky to be compared, they need to have bikes available! Not only do they miss the selling season, they miss the testing season:thumbsdn:. So not only do they meiss out on sales to serious racers, they miss out on all the r&d and improvements racers have done/made since most 2011's have been available. This has got to be the single biggest obstacle BMW must overcome, as it seems the bike is a viable choice. Noone will choose one if they must wait untill may to get one.

I've never seen a magazine review that compared the bike to another. It's just a review. When they do the shootouts, all of the bikes get compared to one another.

I read it too, was very positive and them mentioned a lot of things to like about the bike and it's new tech. Good to see it get a very positive review for MX in a MX only mag. It's a cool bike, with a year or two more refinment it looks like it will be in the mix. Nice.

Glad to see Mr Negativity could find something to complain about in a positive review he did not want to see. Yes, we have all known for 6 months now the bike was late, thanks. They should have labeled is a 2011 1/2 model like I have seen done before so deal with this goofiness from the fringe.

Got 1000 miles on mine now (TE511). Been super solid and great performer. Seemed to work was well as a FE390 and KTM 350 yesterday.

DSCF8559-L.jpg

Edited by Ride
Glad to see Mr Negativity could find something to complain about in a positive review he did not want to see. Yes, we have all known for 6 months now the bike was late, thanks. They should have labeled is a 2011 1/2 model like I have seen done before so deal with this goofiness from the fringe.

This pretty much seals the deal. :smirk: Why, after such a dramatic declaration in several different posts about putting me on "ignore", did you flake out in less than a week and start spewing you huskyhate at me again?? You are the problem between us. Ignore me please, flake. I'm tired of your baiting, you crap on every thread. Constantly addressing my words, I couldn't care less about yours. Keep to yourself.

Glad they like the bike, can't wait to read it for myself. Darn the long weekend!

I'm tired of reading new threads about anything 449/511 and having it polluted by the same 2-3 people going at it like 10 year olds. Jeezus.

Wonder what the actual weight differences are between the contenders?

i'm tired of reading new threads about anything 449/511 and having it polluted by the same 2-3 people going at it like 10 year olds. Jeezus.

Agreed...

Sad... the bike review sounds great and I am really looking at these in 2012.

I'm tired of reading new threads about anything 449/511 and having it polluted by the same 2-3 people going at it like 10 year olds. Jeezus.

As am I. I'll be happy to send members permanently away from this forum. "Debate the topic, not the debater" is the rule.

If one cannot restrain themselves I'll gladly help.

Thank You.

Oh, and make no mistake, I frequent this forum often, just rarely post.

I too, visit almost daily.

Lots of sensitivity here. I simply mentioned I thought it was funny someone found it to post a paragraph going off on husky in a positive review and not one mention of the bike or question about the review or anything. Thats what I am tired of. Coming to read a husky review and discussion only to see a bash on husky and no input or questions about the bike or test. I would love some thoughtful debate and questions about the actual bike. But, let me say sorry Marc / forum, I just should have bit my tongue, will try to more going forward.

Does anyone know if the cams are different in the TC version? Compression? Wonder what most the power increase is due to? I will admit this is not the fastest, hardest pulling motor. It is smooth and very useful but not a brute thats for sure. Sounds like the TC version might have quite a bit more snap on board. Like to snag a ride on one some day soon.

Back in the day tests we so much more detailed. Older farts like me remember when there were actual dyno graphs done for each bike, weight, everything. They took time to really investigate the bike and actually take the time to weigh and evaluate the bikes. Real deep interesting info. Now it seems it is all shinny pix and Monster Energy ads. OK, I'm getting old.

Now it seems it is all shinny pix and Monster Energy ads. OK, I'm getting old.

It has nothing to do with getting old. Everything is snippets of information and advertising now, it's not just the bike rags.

Fortunately we have forums like this to get real first hand information about bikes and gear. :smirk: Disregard the trolls and the clueless and one can find out a lot. :smirk:

It has nothing to do with getting old.

It kind of does as I knew when things were better (at least to me) and where people took pride in work and craftsmenship even if it was simply a motorcycle article. My kids are getting tired of me talking about "back in the day" when things were built SOLID and lasted forever, when careers meant the company loved you for working there for decades and awarded you, pride was a goal. Miss that in this 10 second sound-bite, disposable world we have built ourselves.

anyway...

Bike articles from the 60's were more biased and marketing bent than today. Even today, you have to keep in mind, the guys reviewing are writers and in some cases, the reviews are colored based on advertising dollars. If they were good racers, they would be racing, if they were great wrenches, they'd be wrenching. Once in a blue moon, do you get a writer who actually knows what he is talking about, they tend to be short lived on the masthead though. I look at magazine articles as teasers. The real test is when 20 reputable riders all concur.

Thanks Kelly! Your actual feedback has been really useful to me so far.... even for an off road guy! I think Marc speaks for a lot of Husky folks who are too reserved to say..

I think this bike is growing on me a lot, not concerned about the "shootout" results... for a Vet like me, this bike could be an advantage.

My hope for 2012 is newer forks and a .... IDK? WOUld like more MX info...the Txc THread. Has been great as well...

Lastly, how steep of a learning curve has this bike been?

Lastly, how steep of a learning curve has this bike been?

I have a lot of bikes, ride a lot of bikes and ride a lot. So... I adapt pretty EZ to different machines. Thats said it took me about 10 miles of trail to go from, this bike feels different to, wow i really like this bike. Many people have tried it and pretty much all seemed to get on and get going ASAP. Several were instantly faster than on their own bikes. Some of this due to the user friendly motor and plush suspension. IMHO it is not that "strange" or "different" that it takes some sort of learning curve. you can get on a rip ASAP. What I do find is you learn all the good things about the bike and adapt to exploiting those things over time. Most find it very rewarding and accommodating right away.

Is the maintenance side of things parallel to the riding? I am not skeered and a capable wrench... just curious before the purchase.

Is the maintenance side of things parallel to the riding? I am not skeered and a capable wrench... just curious before the purchase.

Not been an issue at all. Oil is super EZ to change, drains out the side of the motor, no need to remove skid plate. Air filter take more work to get to but stays 5x as clean and needs to be cleaned 5x less so in the long run way EZer. Bolts have stayed tighter than previous models. Overall as EZ or EZer than previous models. I did recently notice spokes getting loose which did not seem to happen with the old wheel sets. Valves right in spec. at 1000 miles. Nothing has broke or fallen off. Plastic seems much more pliable and less pron to breaking.

Let me know if you are interested in anything specific.