Time for a steering stabilizer which one and why?

I am ready to purchase a steering stabilizer and want to know what one you have had best luck with? I had a GPR V1 on my KTM. I came with the bike. It worked well but that was the only one I have ever used. I have an E model with Pro Taper top triple clamp and 1 1/8" fat bars. in the forward mounting position. What kit have you all found works best for the DRZ.

I had a GPR on my '05 E and loved it. BUT- I really had trouble with it on tight singletrack. It was great everywhere else, but when I slowed down and tightened up I really had to back off the setting. I normally ran it on 2 ~ 2.5, not really a high setting, but I would get behind on singletracks. My friends with the Scott's dampers never had that, and when I tried their bikes I didn't either. I think it has to do with the way they dampen: GPR goes both directions, while Scott's only dampens in the one direction. I would go Scott's next time.

Just bought Scotts for my xcw, my first bike and first stabalizer... saved me many times on loose rocks and roots already. Helps a lot with holding the steering. Money well spent.

you guys need to realize that scotts sells two different kinds of stabilizers... to say one works best on the drz in general is wrong.

they have a street and dirt model. one dampens 1 way and the other dampens both ways. in the dirt you need to be able to flick the bars easy to compensate whats going on when hitting rocks and roots. if i remember correctly the dirt is one way and street is both ways.

i have the scotts mount now, but no stabilizer... but i need to look for the street version for my SM. Its marked with a Stamped "S" on the top of the stabilizer.

i had a GPR on my ninja 636. and at low speeds if set to tight was dangerous. i remember the first test ride, i think i set it half way, felt fine while just sitting there not to tight, but i took it for a ride and went to turn around and almost put it down. hard to explain the feeling, but i loved it after i set it right.

EDIT: just seen you have a E model. go with the scotts dirt model IMO

As many of you know, the main advantage of the Scotts over and above the GPR, aside from the one way damping, is the separate low and high speed damping adjustments. The Scotts damper allows the low speed damping to be turned down for easy, unhampered steering in tight trails yet still retain the high speed damping to absorb sharp hits from roots, rocks, etc. The separation of low and high speed damping gives the Scotts damper a tremendous advantage over the GPR.

I have the Scotts. It had the low speed dampening adjustment that the GPR doesn't have. As Chas_M said, it allows you to tone it down for tight single track which makes it a huge advantage. I couldn't imagine having to adjust the GPR on the fly constantly...a lot of the trails we have around here go from wide open to single track and back to wide open.

Let me ask you guys.

What speeds & type of terrain do you guys feel like you need a stabilizer??

I rode(quick 10 miles) this torque monster a month ago and the only time that I thought it needed a stabilizer was when I was riding it at the speed of 70/75+mph on a dirt road. Any slow 1st-2nd-3rd gear, single-double track, rocky trails was no problem.

I was definitely a little more hesitant to ride it harder since I wasn't wearing the appropriate gear.

ktmces.jpg

I wouldn't say I need it anywhere, but I've been glad I have mine in a variety of terrains and speeds: at low speeds through a rock garden, at high speeds through a sand wash, or at any speed hitting that rock or log or rut that seems to jump out right in front of you.

I wouldn't say I need it anywhere, but I've been glad I have mine in a variety of terrains and speeds: at low speeds through a rock garden, at high speeds through a sand wash, or at any speed hitting that rock or log or rut that seems to jump out right in front of you.

So, your objective would be just to keep the handlebars from abruptly moving to the left or right when you happen hit a rock/log/rut, then??

I guess I haven't really ridden anything offroad with a stabilizer installed so don't really know the difference.?