Looking for a new engine

2010 kx250f

My son took a hit going into the first turn and didn't realize that his generator cover was cracked and he was loosing fluid. Five laps later and passing for first place his engine went up In a cloud of smoke. The damage is so extreme that repairing it piece by piece just doesn't make sense. Does anybody know of a site that I can order a "crate "Kawi engine from ?

Thanks

Shop around. Get your best price, than call the TT store, they will beat it.

Also, scour Ebay and the like, people part out brand new bikes all the time (the parts are worth more than the whole).

I don't think TT can get a crate motor. I believe it can only be sold to a dealership then sold to a customer. I don't believe any online retailer that does oem can get a full motor.

You would need to have all the electronics from the 11 due to the FI, and im sure the frame mounting points are different and stuff. Can you link me to that motor?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/11-KX250F-KXF250-Motor-Engine-complete-New-/380335913863?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588dc97b87

still pretyy pricey and yes you would deffinatly need the electronics from the 11 as well i would imagine .

its a dealer , they decided to part it .

Pretty sure it was adrenaline cycles, they aren't really a dealer I don't think. I'm pretty sure they buy bikes from auctions (repo ect) and part them out. It's wild how cheap bikes can be purchased from auctions.

I've tried just about everywhere but there just don't seem to be any 2010 engines available. 2011s yes and would you believe $ 4400 for a 2009 engine.

At this point a left-over 2011 model seems the best option. But I would appreciate some feedback.

I have about $ 1000 invested in his current suspension (factory connection) is it practical to swap it with the 2011 suspension ?

After I split the cases and clean out the tranny in the 2010 will it be compatable as a spare for the 2011 ?

Can I swap the plastics (numbers etc) ?

Other than wheels, bars levers what else can I salvage for spare parts ?

What do you guys think of the 2011 model ? We loved the 2010.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Edited by oldman06
Spelling

unfortunatly with the 2011 these a few diffreance in the bottem end that are not compatible with a 2010.. main issue is the gear ratios are diffrent along with the 2011 has a trans sensor that tells it what gear it's in.

Next, suspension will swap over but I can tell you that the sff is a great fork and worth getting it valved.. how ever untill you can afford it.. Run the 2010 suspension I ran my 07 suspension in my 2011 for a while..

plastics will transfer over along with tripple clamps, exhaust, footpegs, seat, airfilters, wheels, levers, ect..

Radiators will not, atleast not the left side,

Engine parts that will work, sprockets, chain, entire clutch i.e. plates, hubs, pressureplates.. Possible piston, head gasket, base gasket, valves, cams,

How ever as far as piston, head gasket, base, cams, & valves might I would do more research as I'm only assuming on them.. The clutch will transfer over..

I have 32 hrs on my bike and two hard crashes both resulting in bend rads and no tps problem.. I love my bikes. How ever nothings ever gurenteed with a race bike..

If you have the money I would say wait for the 2012 they will be better and have a better top end.. I will say even though the top end on the 11 isn't the best its still an awsome bike..