Relocating bike to Ca.

Hey guys,

Question for you. I have a KTM 300 EXC that I want to give to my nephew who is marine stationed at Twenty Nine Palms. It is tagged and legal in Florida. What are the impacts going to be in California ?? Can we just transfer the title and tag to his name ?? I don't want him to have to chase any paperwork down to be able to dual sport it.

Thanks,

Bruce

The theory is that if it currently street registered in another state it can be transfered here and you should get a ca plate. I have seen it done so it can work, but lately I have heard the the dmv is cracking down on this and there has been rumor of plates being taken back, though I've never known of any actual cases of this having been done

If you can plate it in your current state he should be able to maintain the plates if he can show residency for that state. I've very rarely had cars tagged in the state I'm currently stationed in. It's a pain to get a plate on a bike in CA that isn't plated from the factory.

Hey guys,

Question for you. I have a KTM 300 EXC that I want to give to my nephew who is marine stationed at Twenty Nine Palms. It is tagged and legal in Florida. What are the impacts going to be in California ?? Can we just transfer the title and tag to his name ?? I don't want him to have to chase any paperwork down to be able to dual sport it.

Thanks,

Bruce

Plating a 300 EXC in California is ? as the DMV goes ?

Those days ended on Feb 1st 2004.

Under the "Sailors and Soilders" (???) rules, he can keep the bike registered in his home state. If he doesn't have a CA drivers license, register and plate it in his home state.