manual cam chain tensioner?

just wondering if anyone else here besides me and picapacapopo has made their own MCCT?

last may long weekend I was going to go riding with my stock, 2005 auto cam chain tensioner failed!! I had seen MCCTs online before and they looked like a very simple device..

so I brought the ACCT down to the local dirtbike shop where a good friend worked and explained to him my situation. he agreed that it would be possible to make your own MCCT and we could do it.. but he wouldnt do it on his own bike as he didnt trust it.

so we got a piece of rod the same thread size and pitch as the center hole of the MCCT, adjusted it to length, and threw some nuts, washers and red loctite on it. it was only supposed to be temporary. I seen this friend again after not seeing him for 14 months and his jaw nearly dropped when he seen I was still using our MCCT lol. I understand if this thing ever fails it can/will ruin my engine, and a new proper one is 50$.

so I was wondering. has anyone else here ever made their auto cam chain tensioner into a manual one?

I did the exact same thing you did. I only rode the bike for the weekend that I was waiting on my TT MCCT but I honestly once you look at how the thing works and what it does, the TT part is wildly over engineered with that big ass bolt.

The only concern I had with doing exactly what you did was the thread that they pressed into the original auto unit. I used the OEM pusher part after taking out the guts (spring etc) and put the sleeve and the plunger back on and just used a longer bolt to push the plunger in and set it with a jam nut.

Youre not the first and Ive never heard of anyone building one like that, that had failed.

yup I've built my own for street bikes. I just gut the original use a piece of all thread a couple nuts. Round off the all thread and put the bolts on. Weld one bolt solid on the end of the all thread and your good to go. Havent had one fail yet

I prefer the auto adjuster so when the spring in mine broke I took it apart, cut the broken end of the spring, rebent the spring end and rewound the spring fixing it for no money. it took several trys to rewind that spring though.

I prefer the auto adjuster so when the spring in mine broke I took it apart, cut the broken end of the spring, rebent the spring end and rewound the spring fixing it for no money. it took several trys to rewind that spring though.

that does not sound like a good idea at all.... shorter spring = less tension which is when things go bad!

i remember a while back, tt member kelstr posted instructions on how to turn your ACCT into an MCCT by using a piece of 5/16 copper tubing to jam the thing open to the correct length. you can find it by searching. what ever happened to kelstr? he always had good info about the crf.