Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

2004 KDX 220 Hydro Lock Field Fix :)

Recommended Posts

Doing my duty to the post! We had one hell of a start to the Mem day weekend ride. Saturday morning me and two boys headed into the Indiana Badlands park, ready for 2 days of fun. Me on my gas gas EC200, middle buy on KDX220, oldest on the old 1980 KDX 175. 5 minutes in we hit deep and wet sand, the boys aren't good in sand yet so I turn around, the 175 stops hard in the sand, the boy doesn't pull the clutch and kills the engine, and then it won't kick start (I'll post another thread on that - suspect the kick lever gear set). That puts me back at camp and sent the boys off on their own... reluctantly.... "Check in every 20 minutes or so boys", "Sure dad", evil grins on their faces.

An hour later the oldest (16) comes back on my GG, it's intact, a good sign, but the youngest (14) nowhere to be seen. "Ahhh he sorta wrecked in big water hole". "ahh it was up to his chest" Mind you, my 14 year old is 6'1". "and could you see the bike" I ask. "Well not at first, but we drug it out, and it won't start, we tried for like 20 minutes". Admittedly, they aint so technical...

I ride back in, find the boy and the dripping, caked with mud, 220. His punishment for not knowing when to turn around (the area is flooded), push it out... see ya at camp!

So now after listening to my ramblings this is how we got her back to breathing fire, gotta love KDX's... freaking indestructible.

1. Pulled off the seat

2. pulled out the soaking wet air filter. Wring out... set in partial sun to dry

3. Took off the air box connection to the carb... and drained the water in the box and blew out the carb.

4. BIG NOTE: This was the step I missed that almost lead to more work than needed. I should have pulled the silencer and drained the mud and water at this point, but in my hurried approach I was thinking only intake. It would have saved some kicking had I done this.

5. Spark plug out

6. Block open the throttle.

7.Crank the crap out of the kick start lever... muddy water puked out for what seemed like ever!... wait 5 repeat, wait 5 repeat, keep at it till she is relatively clear.

8. Spayed some WD40 into the cylinder, cranked it out immediately. Did this a few more times. WD gets the water out, and as long as you don't dump it in, it can't hurt.

9. Sprayed some WD in the stator wire boot. It's seemed pretty well sealed, but it's water resistant.... not water proof. Squeezed out excess.

10. Drained the tank. I know some might not do this, but it was just over a gallon, and it was in deep. I would hate to do all the work and then find out the water was in the tank as well. It had to take in some as it was submerged, some is enough for me to drain it all.

11. Drained the fuel from the carb bowl.

12. Now the waiting game. With the throttle open and plug out it was time to dry. While waiting I did the following.

- Straightened the bars.. part of the "wreck" into the mud hole.

- Lubed the cables.

- Lubed everything else that wasn't caked in mud.

- Hit every open wire connection with WD40. Water be gone.

- Spayed a little WD 40 in the open carb. A couple little shots as so much water had gone through

- put on new grips... they were slipping after the water soaking.

- Cleaned mud from the calipers, levers, and chain

- Did some basic after crash stuff: Forks, bearings, spokes, just to be sure.

- every ten minutes or so, crank engine by hand.

13. After waiting and drying for about an hour. I put in a half gallon of new fuel, installed a new plug (gapped properly), and gave it a kick. On kick three it almost fired. That was enough to give hope! After about 10 minutes of trying it finally fired! It was at the moment of fire that I realized i had missed clearing the mud out of the silencer as noted above. A big chunk of mud flew out, followed by some more water. I should have known, because as I was trying to crank it, it didn't have that nice, high compression pop sound you should hear... ya know... from an open pipe :smirk:

We rode the next 4 hours in torrential rain, but none the less we rode.

I don't know if this will get everyone back on the trail after a full dunk, but it worked for me, and hope it helps someone else. Now to post on the 175!

Have great Mem weekend all you thumpers and strokers!

Edited by mlyle11

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well... I was pretty proud of myself for getting back on the trail after my son's submarine act, that was until prepping to ride the next week. I always check all the fluids before heading out, and low and behold, what did I see in the trans case sight glass... that all too familiar brown, like too much cream in coffee! AKKK! How could I forget to drain the trans case oil!

I had ridden maybe 2 hours on a swarthy mix of water and oil, enough so to blend it into creamy gunk I drained from the case. None the less, these KDX's are tough cookies! So I drained the case, used very light air pressure and shop rage to blow as much gunk out the drain hole as possible, then filler up. Off to ride we went.

I took enough oil with me to change 2 times, and during ride, I drained and changed. Everything seems fine, she shifts great.

I just feel like dolt for forgetting that!

Hope this helps another thumper or stroker out there!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this