Sign in to follow this  

Should I sell my YZ 125???

Just changed jobs (have 6 kids and need big $$$) and haven't been able to manufacture any time to ride. I have been cleaning the bike and changing fluids, adjusting chain, rechecking sag,...anything I can to keep connected with dirt biking. I bought a nice new chest protector for this summer's racing series but it looks like I won't be able to ride as my work includes Saturdays.

I don't need the money from the YZ 125 sale but I also don't think it would be a great idea to just let it sit. I could probably find the time to ride it once every 6 weeks with my current schedule.

What would you do? It is a mint 2006 YZ 125.

p.s. I ride 99% Motocross so it's hard to have fun when you go 6 weeks between each riding session.

kinda depressing...

If the job/time situation improves, would you ride it then?

Here's the real question: if I sell it, and then sometime in the near future decide I want another one, how much additional will it cost to get me back to where I was before I sold it?

If you change the trans oil, drain all of the fuel, put some lube down the plug hole, and store it in a cool, dry, dark place with the tires off the ground, it will store for years and years. Not a bad idea to seal the pipe and intake as well so critters don't find the pipe or airbox and use it as a nice new home. All you have to do is fill it with premix, and it should fire right up. I did this while on deployment in the military years ago, and it worked just fine. No damp sheds or out behind said shed, wet basements, etc. It needs to be dry, climate controlled, and out of sun/heat/light/wet,etc.

Of course, if you don't really like it all that much, and would rather have something else down the line.....

I have a room in the finished basement that I could store it (heat/air conditioned), so that wouldn't be a problem. and thanks for the advice on how to do that if I decide to keep it.

I love this bike. In a perfect world, I would keep this bike forever and add a 250 2 stroke and a 250F to the arsenal.

My thoughts are that this bike is ready to race. It is still competitive/not a dinosaur right now...in a few years maybe not???

Unless I change jobs again, which is unlikely, my schedule is not going to change. I'd almost rather give it up so someone could enjoy it and race it then to let it get so dated and become a play bike. It's a 2006 model, so maybe it's already dated, I dunno??? Just feeling a little depressed about missing this season after getting the bike , and myself, in the shape that it's in.

I could ride it every Tuesday in the Fall and Spring (during kids school) but no races and not many people, if any, out around here on Tuesdays and the good tracks are closed on Tuesdays so I would be limited to just 1 local mx track.

Some riding is better than no riding. I have 3 kids, live in the city far from my riding areas and I get out maybe every month. I still like to tinker with the bikes in the garage when I'm not able to get out for a ride. I've got a bunch of bikes too. Hang onto your bike. If you sell it, you'll want another one in a month and that's bad economics...just to make you feel better about it.

I think I would sell a kid first. An 06 yz 125 wont bring in a life-changing amount of money, but will cost that if you ever try and replace it.

Besides, it will be cool to have around when the kids get old enough to ride. Better they learn motorcycles from you than from some slap-nuts boyfriend.

I'd keep it too, since you obviously are pleased with it. Unless you earn your money from racing, it doesn't matter if it is current or not, just that you enjoy yourself. I was going riding with several others tomorrow not too far from here on our dual sports, but they all cancelled. Well, I'm going anyway. The point I'm making is the ride brings me enjoyment, and where I'm going, tranquility as well: never anyone else out there.

I am having the same dilemma about my road bike: sell it or keep it. I have one of the (yet to get here) XT1200Z Super Teneres on order, and I know the road bike will be redundant after that arrives. I'd rather not sell a great performing bike that does, and has done, everything reasonable I've ever asked of it. I've decided to let future home quality (a good new owner...man I'm getting soft in my old age) and money offered make my decision for me. That's all I can tell you. Not much, but in some way, most of us have been there.

You chose to have 6 kids. If your family NEEDS the $ then dump the bike. Sucks being a grown up sometimes. With 6 of 'em it may be a while before you have extra time too. If things change you can get another bike later.

I think of a bumper sticker i saw recently. "If you can't feed them don't breed them." A little harsh but true.

...a little too harsh. Read his original post more carefully, he DOESN'T need the money from the sale of the bike. What he needs is TIME. He's worried the bike will just sit around for 6 weeks or more at a time...so should he hang on to it or dump it. He should NOT dump it.:smirk:

It's Paid for keep it.Somtimes I can't ride for weeks,but it's nice to get lost in my Man cave for Brain break.

Let's all tone this down please.

He has a new job, with different time available to ride, he doesn't need to help his family live through the week.

I suggest he look locally for others on his schedule and get together with them. He might even entice some of his new co-workers to buy bikes and become part of his off hours riding group. Years ago, when I worked rotating shifts (wasn't that a nasty way to live?) a few of us on the same schedule got together for riding. It was better than terrific for all of us.

I'm glad I asked the question...you guys are making it easy to keep the bike and make some time to ride. I think I can at least make riding my fitness workout and use that as my gym time instead of lifting. Still thinking...

I'm glad I asked the question...you guys are making it easy to keep the bike and make some time to ride. I think I can at least make riding my fitness workout and use that as my gym time instead of lifting. Still thinking...

Why one anyone go to a gym rather than ride?

...a little too harsh. Read his original post more carefully, he DOESN'T need the money from the sale of the bike. What he needs is TIME. He's worried the bike will just sit around for 6 weeks or more at a time...so should he hang on to it or dump it. He should NOT dump it.:smirk:

Your right. Sorry. I deleted it.

keep the bike man, plus your bike isnt dated. The 06 to now has been the same bike.

Keep the bike, its a good stress reliever when you need one. If you sell it and eventually want a new one your going to have to worry about the previous owners maintenance etc, but at least you know how your own bike has been taken care of.

I only got to ride once this whole season which has been a major bummer so I guess I kind of know how you feel although your situation is different. Im not sure if ill be able to make much time for riding, but Im not going to be selling it (unless its for a yz 250).

edit: plus with a couple extra grand in cash, your bike will soon become a laundry machine, or dish washer :smirk: