Sign in to follow this  

2007 XC for trails?

I am looking to get into the dirtbike world and have ridden a buddy's '04 200EXC and like it. We plan to ride mainly trails around the Texas Hill Country, ranch roads really. Is the 200XC too spicy for that type of riding, especially when I need to lug it around some? I am 6'2" and about 185 w/o gear. Should I be looking into the 'W' models for the wide ratio tranny for my type of riding? Thanks!

I'm 6'2" 200lbs w/o gear and now enjoying my first 2 stoke, a 250xcw. Have a 4 stroke history so appreciate the lugging factor. That said,I'm very happy with the lugging capability of the 250xcw.

I am looking to get into the dirtbike world and have ridden a buddy's '04 200EXC and like it. We plan to ride mainly trails around the Texas Hill Country, ranch roads really. Is the 200XC too spicy for that type of riding, especially when I need to lug it around some? I am 6'2" and about 185 w/o gear. Should I be looking into the 'W' models for the wide ratio tranny for my type of riding? Thanks!

I weigh 225 without gear and I can lug my W around all day on horse trails without it stalling or fouling a plug. Mine is stock except for a Tuebine Core 2,JD kit,Barnett basket and of course the usual aftermarket goodies like levers and speedo etc.

the bikes are very similar and share the same engine. Gearing is slightly different. The W has a lower 1st, almost same 2nd, same 3rd and 4th and taller 5th/6th. The W is actually a more versatile tranny, but if you aren't doing a lot of high speed stuff, you won't notice it much at all. If you like the 04 you rode, you will like any 200 you ride.

I ride a 300, I've heard the XC can be a little tough to keep traction on the ground. My XC-W breaks traction easy, I can't imagine a XC. Lugging on the 200 isn't gonna be the best... that's where the higher CC 2 strokes shine. The 250 or 300 are lugging machines.

I ride a 300, I've heard the XC can be a little tough to keep traction on the ground. My XC-W breaks traction easy, I can't imagine a XC. Lugging on the 200 isn't gonna be the best... that's where the higher CC 2 strokes shine. The 250 or 300 are lugging machines.

Have you owned or ridden a 200 for any length of time, or just going by what some say and post?

Sorry to disagree, but this simply isn't true.

Have you owned or ridden a 200 for any length of time, or just going by what some say and post?

Sorry to disagree, but this simply isn't true.

OK you got me... I suppose I should have said I've never riden one... :smirk:

I was basing it on something I read in a dirt rider magazine of a quote at the bottom of the page that read:

"Fun bike, very light and maneuverable, yet the little pumpkin lacks a tad bit of chug down low and the meat of the power takes too long to reach for tight trail riding for this lazy, washed-up rider..." - Scott Hoffman

It's quite possible that guy doesn't know what he's talking about... either way, you can't go wrong, it's a KTM and it's a 2 stroke! :smirk:

And yea the 200 from what I hear is a mountain bike with a motor on it.

Which is why I prefer the xc over the w.The closer gear ratio gets you to the meat of the power quicker. No waiting for it to "spool" up.It's just right there when you shift.Easy to be in the right gear.The down side is the road transfer sections.Anything over 45 and you start to get that buzz!

I was basing it on something I read in a dirt rider magazine of a quote at the bottom of the page that read:

"Fun bike, very light and maneuverable, yet the little pumpkin lacks a tad bit of chug down low and the meat of the power takes too long to reach for tight trail riding for this lazy, washed-up rider..." - Scott Hoffman

It's quite possible that guy doesn't know what he's talking about... either way, you can't go wrong, it's a KTM and it's a 2 stroke! :smirk:

haha. I will agree it doesn't have the bottom end that the bigger bores have, but it has enough to get it done. It is actually surprising how much bottom end the 200 does have.

What I don't like about the magazine articles like that are that they don't spend any time setting up the bike. If you don't get the PV set right, jetting, etc, you can have a lacking bottom end.

wheeels2, the 200's trannies are almost identical in the gears we spend the most time in. I can't tell a difference between them when riding in the woods. 2nd - 4th are essentially the same. They spool up and perform pretty much the same till ya get to the higher speed stuff.

It's quite possible that guy doesn't know what he's talking about... either way, you can't go wrong, it's a KTM and it's a 2 stroke! :prof:

I also read that in DirtRider and was like ***? Maybe I should offer mine up as a test bike and see what they say. I have ridden mine in places where you might not get on the pipe for ten minutes at a time and as long as you keep one finger (ya pull is that light) on the clutch for surprises it always chugs right along without fear of stalling. :smirk:

Thanks for the replies. I have now come across an '04 250 EXC and am wondering if that is too much bike for a newbie?

Thanks for the replies. I have now come across an '04 250 EXC and am wondering if that is too much bike for a newbie?

It's a lot, but fairly tame power. you can tune the delivery to be very linear. May actually be easier to ride than the 200 starting out. The tranny is a bit gappy and it's an 04. Just make sure that it is in mechanically sound shape.

It's a lot, but fairly tame power. you can tune the delivery to be very linear. May actually be easier to ride than the 200 starting out. The tranny is a bit gappy and it's an 04. Just make sure that it is in mechanically sound shape.

Please explain what you mean about the tranny being gappy? Thanks.

Please explain what you mean about the tranny being gappy? Thanks.

been posted many times. there are gaps between 2nd and 3rd, and many be others. I didn't spend enough time in the higher gears to really remember.

it's a true wide ratio tranny. rpms drop off trying to short shift from 2nd to 3rd unless you really rev out 2nd. +2 on the rear can help remedy that, but then that presents other issues.

The EXC/XCW is the tamest of KTM 250's. Using the green power valve spring will provide the mildest "hit". As a newbie, just respect the throttle. This may sound silly but realize you can get moving very quickly in a very short amount of time. If you do so, a 250 is an absolute blast to ride...super light with torque down low and will rip on top when your ready!