Improper Break-in

What would be the results be if my bike(XT250) is not broken in proper? Example: Riding much harder than the puttering around that the manual suggest for the first 1000 miles.

Thanks in advance!

Zeb

What would be the results be if my bike(XT250) is not broken in proper? Example: Riding much harder than the puttering around that the manual suggest for the first 1000 miles.

Thanks in advance!

Zeb

Run it hard! This will actually seat the rings better. Just do a few heat cycles and go ride. :smirk:

Vary the RPM. Don't ride at an even and high RPM.

Nothing gonna happen, back in a day when machining was not as accurate that was fine.

In today technology and metallurgy it is more like a urban myth. If you check BMW and many other maker they run their cars/snow mobile etc etc on the dyno to make sure they do deliver the actual advertised power before delivery, if it is good for a + 60 grant car it is good for everything else.

Pretty sure that xt has looser tolerances then a BMW, and a BMW likely does not share its oil like your xt does. Be nice to it for a few heat cycles, there is a reason they give the recommendation.

Well.....the first 300 miles I did as said in the manual. The next 50 were WIDE A$$ open trail riding - I know it got PLENTY hot that day. It has been varied since then. One day puttering the next 1-2 hours of HARD riding(as hard s an XT will go :smirk:)

Thank you for the replies/re-assurance.

Zeb

Some people have different theories on break-in methods, each can be just as valid as the next. As for me, the first time I fire up a new bike, I let it idle for half an hour to let it fully heat up. Then let it cool completely, then fire it up, and begin the riding procedure, continually running it harder and harder.

Generally, the manufacturer knows how to break in their bikes. After all, they ARE the ones who designed the bike :smirk:

**** brake in. 2 heat cycles. re-torque the head and then just ride it like you would normaly.

**** brake in. 2 heat cycles. re-torque the head and then just ride it like you would normaly.

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

Most don't realize how critical an engine break-in is. If you don't give the rings time to seat themselves to the cylinder walls properly, then your engine likely won't last very long at all!

XT250 has an iron liner, not nikasil, so breakin requirements are more like those of yore. However, this only means it takes more than five minute, probably an out of run time for the barrel and riungs to 'get happy'. At a 1,000 miles, this occured 940 miles ago. Forget about it and have fun.

What is invovled with re-torquing the head? Or how?

Zeb