Sign in to follow this  

Should I go 22.5 offset or stay stock?

Buying a set of triple clamps and can't decide between the 22.5 offset and the stock offset. I know the 22.5 will make me turn better but I race alot of sand tracks like Southwick and I really dont want the front end jack knifing there for me. Bikes an 06 125, thanks in advanced. :smirk:

I would do 22.5 if you are planning on reworking your forks with them in mind. Otherwise, no. The stock forks will jacknife with 22.5 amd you'll hate them. Revalved.....they are excellent in sand.

I would do 22.5 if you are planning on reworking your forks with them in mind. Otherwise, no. The stock forks will jacknife with 22.5 amd you'll hate them. Revalved.....they are excellent in sand.

But, if you plan to have Davej or someone like him do his thing, I believe 22.5 is the way to go. I have no idea exactly what helped it as he sent so many other parts to do the revalve. I THINK it was possibly a change that let the forks dive less under braking, or while cornering.

i don't ride a yz but i have swaped triple clamps on 3 honds from 24mm to 20mm and i have loved every one of them. What i have found is with the extra turning i can run more sag and still turn better. by running more sag it will help with the jack knife or tucking under in tight turns and help blitz the whoops with the rear being lower. i would try them and if it fells unstable or jack knifes just take a couple turn off the preload rear spring. I just bought a set of nice pro taper accu track or something like that for $239 with free shiping from Mxsouth Ebay site. It included top, bottom, steam, bearing, cable guide, new bearing race, and 4 differant density mounts 3 rubber and 1 solid. Go for it!!!!!!!!

yeah I have my sag set at like 95 due to my suspension guys suggestions. I'm on the fence about it, I found that pro taper set which is the one I was going ot get. For 200 shipped it seemed liek a good deal.

I'm a little confused. The only 22.5's I see in that link are 125 and 250F triples. And teh only thing they have for the YZ250 is a top triple. I'm assuming those 22.5's match up to the 05-09 YZ250?

Thanks guys.

I'm a little confused. The only 22.5's I see in that link are 125 and 250F triples. And teh only thing they have for the YZ250 is a top triple. I'm assuming those 22.5's match up to the 05-09 YZ250?

Thanks guys.

The stem is longer on the 250 2t and 450, not alot but enough that they wont fit, perhaps the have sold out of that version?

The 450 complete kit would fit the 250 2T

So you could buy the 125/250f clamps and just press in your stock 250t stem, correct?

Thanks guys.

So you could buy the 125/250f clamps and just press in your stock 250t stem, correct?

Thanks guys.

Correct :smirk:

...Bike's an 06 125...
The 125s don't seem to be bothered by the 'relaxed' turning that affects the 250s, so the change to a 22.5 clamp may be a bit too much. :smirk:

But for that price, it would give you a nice tuning option. :smirk:

At 95mm you may be making the condition you describe worse by placing more down force on the forks it is going to cause the forks to knife more. All of the force from 95mm will have enough wieght on the front that when you go to turn and the rear unloads it causing the front to drop into the stroke (sand makes it worse) and knifing when what needs to be done is actually unload the rear some stiffen up the forks. That should stop the forks from droping into the travle making the bike stinckbug and being hard to handle the front. I ride off road and have alot of the same problem because i run my forks soo soft, so to counter this i run more sag and learn to ride more to the rear of the back of the bike and if need the extra turning use different tripple clamp. All your suspenion guy can do is recommend what he thinks will work and it might for 95% of the people but some people need something different so that's when testing can be the best thing you can do. Check the stars on tv out, the top ones has thier rear end setting alittle lower in the read than say the 10th place and on up. Ricky even talked about it on one of the supercross races about having the rear setting down into the stroke and how much better the bike reacted and handle. I say get the tripple clamps and start with about 105mm of sag and go from there and you will be happy.

sorry guys, but one more fitment question. The only 22.5 set I'm finding for less than $400 is via that link and they're 08/09 125/250f triples. Other than pressing in my 05 stem what else will I need to fit them? I'm assuming the longer front axle from an 06+ yz250? I'm not worried about the number plate fitting.

sorry guys, but one more fitment question. The only 22.5 set I'm finding for less than $400 is via that link and they're 08/09 125/250f triples. Other than pressing in my 05 stem what else will I need to fit them? I'm assuming the longer front axle from an 06+ yz250? I'm not worried about the number plate fitting.
Your front axle should work. Assemble the front end with it and decide for youself before running out and getting a different one.

I thought your bike is a 125? Those 250F clamps should fit right on -- no need to swap stems.

Nope, not me. I've got an 05 250, but I believe the thread starter has a 125.

Thanks guys!

Nope, not me. I've got an 05 250, but I believe the thread starter has a 125.

Thanks guys!

Whoops! Sorry. I missed the change up. :smirk:

:smirk:

see if this will fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-Taper-22-5MM-OFFSET-TRIPLE-CLAMP-Yamaha-YZ-125-8-11-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2ebacd46QQitemZ400215952710QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories