Beginner going husky! Need some advice, 250 vs 450?

Greetings from Norway!

I'm a 21 year old guy, who is looking to get into motorcross. I have been reading forum threads for some time, and I still don't feel that I really get the answer I'm looking for. So I'm hoping a husky guru can give me some pointers. one thing is certain, I'm buying a 4 stroke, and it's going to be a husky! My main issue is;250 vs 450!

I'm 6ft tall (185cm), I weigh 143lbs(65kg), I'm athletic, and in good pyshical condition, so I don't tire easily when riding. i'm an aggressive rider, i'm not affraid of speed, jumps and bumps, nor sheer armripping power.

I'm not new to the concept of riding motorbikes, I've ridden since I was 14, I have pretty much rode everything, 50,85,125,250,450, 2-strokes, 4-strokes, atv, you name it. However, What I am new to, is the "thecnical" aspect of motorcross.

I will mainly be riding at my friends farm, where they have dedicated some of their land to motorcross riding, there is a medium sized mx track, and loads of woods and hill trails. Eventually I plan to ride on the local mx tracks. However, I'm riding for fun, I'm not aiming for competative driving.

Last week I took a test ride on a tc 450 (2009), and was blow'n away! I fell in love the instant I turned the throttle, my god the thing goes!! I was amased of how light and manigable the bike felt, even with all that brute power. Beacause I expected it to be heavy and unforgiving. However, I only rode it on some gravel roads and tarmac, not in it's "right" element; dirt, with humps and bumps, and tight corners.

Then yesterday I rode my firends suzuki rmz 250.... The bike had power and was easy to ride, it was easy to corner, and I quickly got the feel of the bike.

It was completely manigable, all in all a good experience.

My friend is hellbent on me getting a 250, cause of the easy ride qualities, but I'm in doubt... He says that a 250 is the best choice cause it's easy to hot start, and that the 450 is a pain to hot start, he also talks about the difference between the bikes gyro effect, and that beacause of the large volume of the 450's pistent, it's much harder to corner cause the bike would like to stay leveled.

I'm an ambitious guy, always have been, always will be. I feel that the 250 will give me loads of fun, but not fully satisfy me, and that I'm always gonna miss the brutality of the 450... So basically I'm affraid that if I buy a 250 I will miss the exitement and challenge of riding a 450, and if I buy a 450 I'm affraid that I might take on more than I can chew?

I appologise in advance for bad english, I hope I've expressed myself so that you can understand.

Also, thank you for any input!

/Norway - out!

I appologise in advance for bad english, I hope I've expressed myself so that you can understand.

Don't worry about your english. It is better than many native speakers that post here. Here's something interesting, "In 2011, the National Institute for Literacy estimated that 47 percent of adults in Detroit, Michigan are "functionally illiterate," meaning they have trouble with reading, speaking, writing and computational skills."

As for the bike, get either one that will makes you happy. You'll probably be faster on the 250, and it will also be easier to learn MX on.

I'm 6'1" tall, weigh 195#, & ride a TC250. The 250 is a lot of fun because you have to really work the bike. To ride a 250F well you are on the clutch a lot & shifting through the gears constantly. For me, thats the fun of riding a dirtbike. For the vast majority of amateur riders, a 450 is a bit much on the MX track. However, you can just drop the 450 into 3rd gear and cruise around with power to spare.

What it comes down to is deciding how you like to ride, either will get the job done!

I'm 6'2", 180 and for technical desert and woods the 250 is easier to ride for longer. The 450, from experience, will be dropped more and loop out on you more. Once you get a couple two three years on the 250 you might want to go bigger but plenty of racers stay on 250 and never go bigger. Match the bike to the terrain. If you're only riding open desert with NO technical stuff or you ride dunes all day then the 450 is good, maybe even 510... but if you are new to riding and plan on doing anything technical get the 250.

I'm 6'2", 180 and for technical desert and woods the 250 is easier to ride for longer. The 450, from experience, will be dropped more and loop out on you more. Once you get a couple two three years on the 250 you might want to go bigger but plenty of racers stay on 250 and never go bigger. Match the bike to the terrain. If you're only riding open desert with NO technical stuff or you ride dunes all day then the 450 is good, maybe even 510... but if you are new to riding and plan on doing anything technical get the 250.

Right on! I laugh as I pass 450 riders going uphill because they can't get traction. Awesome machines for the Pros & A riders but too much for the rest of us that don't ride the desert. Btw, I should mention that I rode a YZ490 for about 10 years in the eastern woods. What a handful!

lol ... Go back and read ur first post again ... U want that big big 450 ;0)

Really, I don't think so, he wants a 250.

Basically a 450 will not be good for your riding, to much power, they require alot of strength to hold wide open out of corners and at 63kg that means wiry not arnie to me, the 450 you need throttle and clutch control out of corners alot more than a 250 and if you screw up on a 250 you can hold them under control or minimize the carnage, a 450 you're on your ass going what the hell happened.

You'll learn to be alot quicker on a 250, there's a kid here who was fast on a 450 at 14, more like 85kg same height also very athletic, but he's gone 250 and is really fast now.

I'm 95kg and rode a 450 Rmz the other day after I lost the gear shaft on my 250 husky, it was alot harder braking and cornering and the power really does take it out of you.