Sign in to follow this  

im having so much fun...

teaching my son how to ride his 65SX, its been a blast and we are only on day 3 of riding. He figured out the clutch in only 3 or 4 tries, and was off and going. We have not shifted yet, but he is ripping around in 1st pretty good. I have made so many videos of him falling and picking it back up and starting it, only to stall it on take off and kick it over some more, priceless! He still went faster on his 50SX pro, but once he figures out how to shift and gets used to the weight of the bigger bike, look out!! I just hope my nerves can take it........:smirk:

my son is just starting to rev it hard enough to get the hit in 1st, seat time is all it takes. we are going to work on shifting next week and see how it goes. but man its fun isn't it?

Yup, it's fun.

I have one more to get off of the 50s and I'll be golden. About the time the boy is ready to go to 85s she will be ready to inherit his 65. Should go like this until they are both on big bikes. :smirk:

Enjoy it while you can. Time flies faster than a child on an 65!

That's exciting! I've been lurking around CL for quite some time now for a good deal on a 50 for my 2 1/2 year old daughter! I've only been looking since the day she was born! I'm definately looking forward to what you are experiencing!

for that young, look for a PW50, she will have a blast. just know once the genie is out of the bottle its hard to put back in.

That's exciting! I've been lurking around CL for quite some time now for a good deal on a 50 for my 2 1/2 year old daughter! I've only been looking since the day she was born! I'm definately looking forward to what you are experiencing!

I just sold my sons old KTM50sx for about $500 WITH BOOTS!! LOL But I agree start her out on a PW50, you can pick those up for cheap all day long. my son started on a PW, then went to a Katoom, and now he is on the 65. He keeps getting faster and faster with every ride, so I'm getting nervous and excited at the same time.......I am hoping the track is our next visit, but I am not going to rush anything, just let it happen.

My oldest is transitioning from his TTR90 to his YZ65(kx65 really). Remembering to shift is the biggest thing right now. He usually finds 2nd or 3rd and rides the entire track in one gear.

DSC04309.JPG

I just sold my sons old KTM50sx for about $500 WITH BOOTS!! LOL But I agree start her out on a PW50, you can pick those up for cheap all day long. my son started on a PW, then went to a Katoom, and now he is on the 65. He keeps getting faster and faster with every ride, so I'm getting nervous and excited at the same time.......I am hoping the track is our next visit, but I am not going to rush anything, just let it happen.
for that young, look for a PW50, she will have a blast. just know once the genie is out of the bottle its hard to put back in.

Yeah, that's what I've been looking at lately. I'm just looking for a good deal on a fixer upper PW that I can tinker with and get ready for her when she's ready.

Pdubs are cheap. you can buy new for $800. some of the older ones hold their value but come with older problems too.

I was thinking about getting one of those OSET bikes for my son. Some pretty cool vids on their website with 3 and 4 year old kids riding them.

It seems that alot of people are going through this transition right now. My oldest son (11) went from a KX65 to a CRF150R and my youngest (7) went from a JR 50 to the KX65. He picked up on the clutch pretty quick but for the life of me I can't get him to shift. He tried a few times and it went into neutral so I told him to click up again but instead he just jams it back into 1st. It's been fun spending good quality time with them both. :smirk: We'll see how long before he can get the shifting down. I'm trying to get my daughter (4) to start riding the JR50 but she says "I too little daddy" lol funny how for some things she says she's a big girl but for this she's too little.

Alain

Get a Oset started my son on one when he was 2 never had to use training wheels now hes riding a jr50 has been since he was 3 no training wheels :ride:

haha, we can now shift!!! Man this has been easy, I was thinking this was going to be some nightmare teaching him how to use a clutch and go through the gears, I am truly blown away!!! We had to take a week off for vacation, but in 4 sessions of riding the 65, he has learned to start it, use the clutch and shift. The occasional false neutral cracks me up, cause I can hear him across the pasture...CRAP!!!....ringg da ringggggggg, clunk, braappppp, LOL CRACKS ME UP!!! I am thinking its time to go hit the track soon. Anyone have a neck brace they want to sell?

Im going through the same thing right now. My son 8 (as of today) has ridden his kx 65 maybe 4 times this past month. (we cant ride as often as we like but we are starting to more :ride: ). He figured out the starting part of the clutch in like 15 minutes...we're still working on the up/down shifting. He is hitting neutral alot. Hope to get him out again this weekend and work on it some more. I'd like to have him ready to race by September; we do harescrambles and he raced last year on a drz 70.

we do a lil bit of everything, but i mainly race supermoto. I would love to throw some 12" slicks on that 65 and turn him loose on the asphalt, but he doesnt want to do that yet. We did some indoor arenacross racing last winter on his 50, and he made it about 100 yards and threw it down something aweful....bike and rider went seperate directions, seat flew off in the aftermath, people scattered, and my then 6 year old didnt want anymore of that 50sx for a while! lol now he cant get enough of the 65. I am going to take him to my friends private track in a few weeks and let him loose, its only a matter of time before i am playing catch up to him!

Get a Oset started my son on one when he was 2 never had to use training wheels now hes riding a jr50 has been since he was 3 no training wheels :lol:

Interesting, I'd never heard of them. I just did a search, that's definately a possibility. However, for mearly selfish reasons I'd kind of like to get a gas powered one. I like my projects. :ride:

If I see one used, I'll definately have to consider it though. Being electric and all, can it be used in wet conditions?