Epidural shots in neck

I have been dealing with real nasty headaches for 1 1/2 years now. Been to every concievable Dr for it and nothing. Recently I've been seeing an osteopathic Dr and have been trigger point injections in my mucles in my upper back and neck. He told me if I haven't recieved any relief by the 5th or 6ht set of shots that he will recomend I get epidural shots in my neck as I have compressed discs (C5-6 and C6-7) and that supposedly is the cause of all my grief. My question is has anyone had these shots, have they helped, was it painful and what can I expect if I decide to go through with it? I am litterally at my witts end with this and am willing to try anything to get relief from these headaches and they are not migraines neither.

Little Jeff

Can surgery be done to correct the discs?

I think you should give physical therapy a try. ive been job shadowing at a pt clinic and some people come in with terrible headaches and the headaches are caused by tight neck muscles. proper neck stretches and neck strengthening might help a lot. one person had a neck fusion due to disc problems that gave them headaches and such, they continued with PT exercises and strengthening and now have very few headaches. fusion really takes away ones range of motion though. give PT a try before going under a knife.

Gave PT a shot late last year and nothing. Did it for about 3 1/2 months along with massage therapy. Surgery is the very last option. That's why I posted and was asking about the epidural shots. I don't have the symptoms to warrant surgery right now like the tingling sensations and the shooting pains in the arms and such.

Little Jeff

Well, I cant say for the neck but I have has a series of 3 for my lowerback followed up with PT.

It did wonders. The shot consist of a anti inflammatory and a pain killer. I have not had any issue with the back after the 3rd shot.

You can have them two different ways. With local deadening or they can sedate you. I suggest the later. Take a just a minute then a weekend of rest with a ice pack.

I would try it before surgery for sure. I was pretty bad and they wanted to cut on me but offered this first. I has a herniated L3 to L4, L4 to L5, and a L5 to S1. The last being at greater than 9 mm. Putting pressure on my sciatic nerve .

Gave PT a shot late last year and nothing. Did it for about 3 1/2 months along with massage therapy. Surgery is the very last option. That's why I posted and was asking about the epidural shots. I don't have the symptoms to warrant surgery right now like the tingling sensations and the shooting pains in the arms and such.

Little Jeff

If you do the surgery, get the Prestige Artificial Disc.

http://www.bnasurg.com/patient-resources-neck-pain.php

http://www.prestigedisc.com/pages/about_the_prestige_disc.html

Hopefuy, it won't come down to that. Don't have the symptoms right now to warrant surgery. Can they completely sedate for this? I mean, completely out?

Little Jeff

It was the best sleep I ever had, they were talking than put the mask on me and I was out. Woke up to some synthetic morphine (which is the shit!), I've had it for a little over a year now. Doing well, if I ever feel like it just isn't working than I'll elect for the fusion.

I meant completely sedate for the shots? I just called them today to schedule my MRI and a couple weeks later, having the procedure done. Apparently they will not knock you out for this, just sedate you with a valium. I s hoping to be knocked out as I like that feeling. I know, kind of sick, huh?

I meant completely sedate for the shots? I just called them today to schedule my MRI and a couple weeks later, having the procedure done. Apparently they will not knock you out for this, just sedate you with a valium. I s hoping to be knocked out as I like that feeling. I know, kind of sick, huh?

Nah, its kewl!:smirk:

Chiropractic?