Revloc Dynaring: fair warning......

I see lots of posts in various sections about riders who have installed the Revloc Dynaring, and had good results.

This prompted me to try one on my '08 KX450F.

Long story short, I had to take it out.

I Could not get it to work as advertised.

I am not an amateur at wrenching, having worked on over 30 of my own motorcycles.

I initially installed the device with the 'load springs' installed a-symmetrically. I corrected this problem, but still no luck.

I tried all the suggestions from Revloc, and none of them worked:

- extra supplied washer at the throwout bearing

- 1.5mm gap in the clutch plates

- less 'load springs' ( I went from 5 to 2 blue springs)

- lighter load springs

- Dyno oil

- fresh clutch plate

- stiffer clutch springs (did not do this. Seemed like desperation to me)

No matter what I did, it would still slip under load.

Unless the rpms were up around 6k, the clutch would slip, no matter how it was adjusted, unless it was adjusted out of the auto range.

It also never would completely "un-adjust' back to a stock clutch, as advertised (it would not disengage enough to be a useable clutch).

And getting a hold of anyone at Revloc was not easy.

They do not return their phone calls or emails (5 of each) and I just had to keep calling and calling until I got a person. Bogus....!

So, I got a Rekluse EXP instead! The new EXP 2.0 system. Same price as the Revloc.

Installed it in 20 minutes, and it rocks.

Hooks up like you would want it to, and just slips a little if you are in way to high of a gear, or if you are at idle, it disengages. It works just like you had an invisible man professionally feathering the clutch for maximum traction all the time. You can still fan the clutch like stock when needed.

This made me wonder: "maybe the KX clutch was just too wimpy, or maybe I really did do something wrong.....".

So, I ordered new steel plates (you have to use their plates in the Dynaring) for my Honda CRF450X, and installed the Dynaring in there. I followed the instructions to the letter, and tried all the 'tuning tips' they gave me the last time, and guess what:

IT STILL SLIPS!

The clutch only stays engaged if the motor is around 6rpm. Below that, it slips under normal loads.

OK, so I'm convinced it's not something I am doing. It's just not heavy duty enough for my needs I guess, or it's defective, or it's just a bad product.

I thought you should know.

Oh, and they never did return any of my emails or phone messages.

So, I ordered new steel plates (you have to use their plates in the Dynaring) for my Honda CRF450X, and installed the Dynaring in there.

Did their steel plates have the dimple design by any chance?

Did their steel plates have the dimple design by any chance?

No. The plates supplied for the KX were smooth, and directional (they had a recessed section for the fibers to sit in on one of the sides of the plate), and the plates for the CRF were smooth, non-directional, but thinner than stock.

No. The plates supplied for the KX were smooth, and directional (they had a recessed section for the fibers to sit in on one of the sides of the plate), and the plates for the CRF were smooth, non-directional, but thinner than stock.

Understood. The reason I asked, is because sometimes I read that guys are skeptical of trying the steels with the dimpled design and had problems with the clutch engaging or not engaging until certain rpm loads were achieved.

I had the same issues when I tried one in my KTM 450, I ended up sending it back for a full refund after a month of frustration with the thing...

I really was looking into one of these but saw too many issues on 250 2 strokes and now seeing issues with 450s makes me think its too much power for the design. Guys on smaller bores seem happy with them.

I have ridden with guys who have the revloc and they all sound like they are slipping no matter what,

I have used the core exp and IMHO the rekluse core exp is way better

I have ridden with guys who have the revloc and they all sound like they are slipping no matter what,

I have used the core exp and IMHO the rekluse core exp is way better

As it should be for over double the price :smirk:

I really was looking into one of these but saw too many issues on 250 2 strokes and now seeing issues with 450s makes me think its too much power for the design. Guys on smaller bores seem happy with them.

This does seem to be the case, as the Dynarings are all the rage on the KDX forum.

This does seem to be the case, as the Dynarings are all the rage on the KDX forum.

I've never ridden a KDX so I don't know how much power they have but are they putting down 44+ horsepower with aggressive power bands like MX 250 2 strokes and 450s?

I've never ridden a KDX so I don't know how much power they have but are they putting down 44+ horsepower with aggressive power bands like MX 250 2 strokes and 450s?

Nowhere near.

A KDX with porting, headwork and FMF exhaust is 35 horse at best. Dynaring would probably work great at 35 horse, but 50 to 55 horse on a 450? I wouldn't trust it.

I have no slippage issues with my "old fashoned" Rekluse pro on my 450. I'll stick with them. Their product and customer service are both top notch.

TvR_hp_lg.jpg

OK, so I'm convinced it's not something I am doing. It's just not heavy duty enough for my needs I guess, or it's defective, or it's just a bad product.

This is not totally fair to Revloc since you burnt the plates using two springs in the wrong misconfiguration that you showed us...... I am not saying the setup has the correct clamping force for the big bore high torque motors...but I do know you fubar the product install and did not set it up correctly before you roached the plates.

This is not totally fair to Revloc since you burnt the plates using two springs in the wrong misconfiguration that you showed us...... I am not saying the setup has the correct clamping force for the big bore high torque motors...but I do know you fubar the product install and did not set it up correctly before you roached the plates.

Hey pal, what the hell is wrong with you?

Why are you so defensive about this product?

I am being honest about my experience so others can be notified.

I re-installed everything, as mentioned in the post, correctly, to Revloc specs, with all new parts. ALL NEW PARTS.

I contacted Revloc and that said 'there is no way you could burn plates by leaving in two load springs a-symmetrically. The worst that would happen is you would have a 'snatchy' engagement'.

So, I did not 'roach' anything by my last two installations, nor did I 'fubar' the installation.

YOU ARE OUT OF LINE.

So if you want to criticize me, get your facts straight, and bark up someone Else's tree why don't you.

I'm sick of people like you who have no problem being a jerk on someone elses post, for no reason other that to appear smart, or right.

You are not right. As usual.

Installed a dynaring in my 07 crf450r no slippage at all. Installed just as it came out of the package have about 30 hours on it 5 of them are a deser race and just put 10 more on at the dunes never a slip or a stall.

I have about 10 hours on my dynaring so far on my klx450 and I absolutely love it. It hasn't slipped yet and it makes it much easier to ride the slow technical stuff.

Sure Krannie what ever you say.....funny thing is I saw the photos of a brand new KX450 laying on its side so you could install the clutch. If that is what you call knowing what you are doing then I must be a brain surgeon. It's one thing for you to tell people that the product may not be right for their big bore bikes but for you to say that it is a faulty product when Revloc stands behind it then you are the one out of line posting here.

I will stay out of your posts from now on if they are as useless non sense as this one is.

Sure Krannie what ever you say.....funny thing is I saw the photos of a brand new KX450 laying on its side so you could install the clutch. If that is what you call knowing what you are doing then I must be a brain surgeon. It's one thing for you to tell people that the product may not be right for their big bore bikes but for you to say that it is a faulty product when Revloc stands behind it then you are the one out of line posting here.

I will stay out of your posts from now on if they are as useless non sense as this one is.

Yeah, laying on it's side is just terrible. Just like the instructions recommend.

What the hell are you talking about anyway.

Revloc is NOT standing behind there product as far as I am concerned.

17 phone calls and 5 emails not returned is not good support.

No help from on why I am had the trouble I am having.

Just confused comments about 'well, you must be using the wrong oil'.

Right.

Blackwoodz, if you have something to say about YOUR experiences, speak up.

Otherwise, quit second guessing my posts.

Long time lurker (just look at my join date) but after reading this thread I felt I had to add my two cents... I've been riding offroad for about 40 years and have had more bikes than I care to count and am currently riding an 04 YZ250 set up for hare scrambles. Over the years I have spent a small fortune on accessories and can honestly say the best money I have ever spent was on my Revloc Dynaring! I feel its like cheating and has made me faster. I installed it as supplied but did have to use the throw out bearing spacer and heavier duty clutch springs. No dragging - works perfect and can adjust it at the perch to make it work as a normal (non auto) clutch just as advertised. I did call Revloc prior to installing and spoke with Alan. He was very helpful and I had no problems getting thru. Sorry the OP has had issues but I can honestly say I would recommend it (and have) to my riding buddies. Peace.

Hey pal, what the hell is wrong with you?

Why are you so defensive about this product?

I am being honest about my experience so others can be notified.

I re-installed everything, as mentioned in the post, correctly, to Revloc specs, with all new parts. ALL NEW PARTS.

I contacted Revloc and that said 'there is no way you could burn plates by leaving in two load springs a-symmetrically. The worst that would happen is you would have a 'snatchy' engagement'.

So, I did not 'roach' anything by my last two installations, nor did I 'fubar' the installation.

YOU ARE OUT OF LINE.

So if you want to criticize me, get your facts straight, and bark up someone Else's tree why don't you.

I'm sick of people like you who have no problem being a jerk on someone elses post, for no reason other that to appear smart, or right.

You are not right. As usual.

Yeah, laying on it's side is just terrible. Just like the instructions recommend.

What the hell are you talking about anyway.

Revloc is NOT standing behind there product as far as I am concerned.

17 phone calls and 5 emails not returned is not good support.

No help from on why I am had the trouble I am having.

Just confused comments about 'well, you must be using the wrong oil'.

Right.

Blackwoodz, if you have something to say about YOUR experiences, speak up.

Otherwise, quit second guessing my posts.

I thought testosterone levels decreased as you got older. :smirk: